University of Tennessee Construction

timmay143

Here are a few pics of the Min Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building. It has been under construction since 2007. I will try to capture the progress of this building as much as I can. It is located on Cumberland Ave. and Estabrook Rd. on the far east side of campus near the current engineering buildings, across the street from the UT Police department and 11 St. garage, and caddy corner to the World's Fair Park.

Approach from the east on Cumberland Ave.

CIMG3041.JPG

CIMG3042.JPG

Sorry these are bad. Taken from the car through a dirty window.sad.gif

CIMG3043.JPG

Shot from the west.

CIMG3044.JPG

• 1 month later...

This is the area between Alcoa Hwy, Kingston Pike, and Neyland Drive. They have done some site prep work by moving around dirt. I heard it is supposed to be sorority housing, but this is pure hearsay. These were taken from the offramp from Alcoa Hwy to Neyland Dr. I'll have to get some better pictures another day with other angles of the site.

CIMG3804.JPG

CIMG3805.JPG

CIMG3806.JPG

CIMG3807.JPG

Edited by timmay143

• 1 month later...

I never get on this side of the river so I have missed this. Maybe I do remember seeing a mobile crane over there.

UT Heart Hospital to open April 27

3rd-floor cardiac step-down unit to come later this year

Construction is continuing in front of the new entrance to the UT Medical Center and new Heart Hospital. Knoxville construction company Johnson & Galyon is the contractor on the project and BarberMcMurry Architects is the designer. A community open house for the $26 million facility will be April 22, 4-7 p.m., and the actual opening date for the facility is April 27.

There is a slideshow on the article link.

UT hospital heart center opening April 27th

• 10 months later...

The Ayres Hall renovation is complete. It also has a clock on each side of the tower.

http://m.knoxnews.co...-a-campus-icon/

http://m.knoxnews.co...its-about-time/

The Neyland Stadium renovation has been complete as well.

The new health center is far along with most if not all the steel structure erected.

There are also plans to build a new student center where the old one is and the parking garage next to it. A bowling alley will not be in the new one, and another parking garage will be built to replace the one coming down.

http://www.knoxnews....st-project-yet/

Rendering of the new UC from knoxnews.com

5481287650_bc97e3c19a.jpg

UC for UTK by timmay143, on Flickr

The Animal Science building has come a long way as well with the facade fully replaced now and it looks close to being finished.

The Electrical and Computer Engineering building has its exterior pretty much done.

Also caught this in the newspaper. The Sutherland and Golf Range apartments are to be demolished for new intramural fields.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/feb/14/ut-readies-to-raze-2-complexes-for-fields/

I have some old pictures to post and hope to take some new ones.

Edited by timmay143

• 6 months later...

Update:

The vet school is adding a large animal extension. They have also added some new nitrogen tanks near the necropsy bays.

I finally figured out what is going on across the river at the Cherokee Farm site. They are building JIAM or the Joint Institution of Advanced Materials. Lots of dirst moving so far.

The sorority village has some brick-a-blocks going up. Looks like a typical stairwell. Two stories high and closest to Kingston and Alcoa Hwy. There is also at least one foundation of brick-a-blocks with metal framing going up at another site closer to Neyland near the middle of the project land.

Two mobile cranes over at the medical center. Not sure what those are for yet.

Concrete pillars coming up out of the new music building next to the art and architectural building.

Electrical and computer engineering building still working on, but almost done.

The new health center should be getting close to done.

There is a large yellow tower crane by the practice football field. Not sure what that is either.

I think the Animal Science building is wrapping the renovation up as well.

The school recently broke ground on the John Tickle engineering building which is east of the stadium. This building will house civil and environmental engineering programs.

Edited by timmay143

These are several weeks old. I took these back in the summer.

Where the vet school large animal extension is going.

img0972r.th.jpg

Animal science renovation.

img0971cy.th.jpg

Shot over looking the ag campus from the viaduct bridge. You can see across the river is the medical center with a crane in the background.

img0970f.th.jpg

img0969z.th.jpg

The EE and CompEng building.

img0967qg.th.jpg

img0966j.th.jpg

img0965au.th.jpg

Edited by timmay143

A few more of the EE and CompEng building. Coming down Cumberland next to WFP (on left) from DT.

img0963vk.th.jpg

img0962e.th.jpg

Another few more from Maplehurst/Popular/Hill Ave.

5982535781_367f2d8981_b.jpg

IMG_1348 by timmay143, on Flickr

5983094888_462e8f6071_b.jpg

IMG_1340 by timmay143, on Flickr

5982533217_8989c9a717_b.jpg

IMG_1339 by timmay143, on Flickr

This is the yellow tower crane going up near the sports complex.

5962407406_a4a8b8828a.jpg

Edited by timmay143

• 10 months later...

WOW, this forum is literally dead. Well for any lurkers, an update on UT construction. A lot going on and a lot completed.

The Min Kao EECS building has completed and opened. Looks good from the outside. I haven't been in it yet though. Now if they could rehab the MABE building...

The Sorority Village has come a long way and expects a few houses to be open soon.

The UC garage has been torn down and construction has begun on part of the new UC.

The John Tickle engineering building seems to have topped out and is well on its way. Still not much on the exterior though,

The Ag campus renovation to Brehm seems to be taking awhile. I think labor disputes and contractor problems have plague this project. Looks really complete from the outside though.

The Large Animal Clinic extension is well on its way too at the Vet School. I would say all building structure is up by now, should be done prob by next spring(?).

The new Health Center is completed and open. Looks REALLY good on the inside. Like an actual clinic. SO MUCH MORE ROOM and up-to-date!!

A new dorm is being constructed at the corner of Andy Holt and Melrose.

The music building has been topped out and is well on its way as well.

It seems both the West & East TN forums are dead (and when I last checked, a few other states as well). It's sad, as I like to hear about what's going on in other places. :ermm:

Yeah, I actually found this place looking for a Philadelphia development forum. Happily discovered that the Nashville forum was much more alive, but disappointed to see PHL was dead as a doornail.

• 1 month later...

I don't want to be a downer, but I recall sitting in un-airconditioned Ayers hall and in rooms in HSS that had broken heaters, along with academic staff having wages frozen, while watching the new practice facility and other sports-related construction take precedence. I still have a hard time getting excited about expansion and construction on campus after that...

That being said, the SHC looks pretty nifty and was severely needed.

• Like 1

yeah I hear ya, but "supposedly" the athletic stuff is all funded using it's own money. They have done a lot of renovations though to student building. HSS has been completely redone inside, new business building, Ayers had some renovations to the exterior a few years ago, and then they have the new dorm being built. But yes overall the athletics do see more construction, but they also bring in the big bucks with donors.

Recent renovations for athletics include the new indoor aquatic center, new indoor tennis facility, baseball has had renovations, Neyland of course, and then the Soccer and Softball complexes are pretty new also.

• Like 1

All the athletic projects and renovations are privately funded. State of Tennessee statutes require that they be. That stated, I can understand the dismay over what seems to be the out-of-whack priorities at UT when comparing the scope of athletic construction projects with those on the academic side of the ledger. I do believe that's begun to change a bit in the last couple of years and there will likely be quite a few more projects in the near future that will benefit the university's academic mission (and the students as well).

Anyway, the Min Kao engineering building was completed earlier this year, and the John Tickle enginnering building along with the Haslam music building are scheduled to be completed in 2013. The new dorm at Melrose and Andy Holt is scheduled to be finished for the start of the 2014-15 academic year. Phase 1 of the new Student Union building (university center) is set to be completed in 2014, and the second and final phase is set to be finished in 2016. The Strong Hall expansion and renovation into classroom and lab space should begin sometime next year. As mentioned in the previous post, they've already renovated the Humanities Building, and the plan is to renovate all the existing dorms on campus over the next 10-15 years. The Walters Life Science building is also set for renovation in the near future. The UTK website has info regarding its Campus Master Plan, which encompasses the near-term, mid-term, and long-term projects that will likely be needed over the next 50 years or so. They're definitely trying to convert UTK into a more pedestrian-friendly campus. Here's the link - http://masterplan.utk.edu/

• Like 2

Yeah, I am aware that it all comes from ticket and concession sales, licensing and private donations. I often get angry when I see individuals with little or not connection to the school donating money to the booster programs, athletic facilities projects, et cetera. I think I get angrier though when I see fellow alumni doing it.

Money from ticket sales and licensing does sometimes find its way back to the university community as a whole, and it has the potential to bring a lot of good to the school, but so often it's run like its own little empire that has the Tennessee brand on it, especially football, and, to a much lesser extent, basketball (although I respected the heck out of the women's program under Pat, she ran a very tight ship and expected her girls to be as devoted to their studies as they were to basketball).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't want to be a downer, but I recall sitting in un-airconditioned Ayers hall and in rooms in HSS that had broken heaters, along with academic staff having wages frozen, while watching the new practice facility and other sports-related construction take precedence. I still have a hard time getting excited about expansion and construction on campus after that...

That being said, the SHC looks pretty nifty and was severely needed.

Well, they did finally upgrade Ayers after you left I guess! How do you feel about that?! :P

Not exactly UT construction, but it is right on campus. This is right behind the old Krystal's between Lake and Cumberland. I noticed they were gutting it out. I couldn't remember what was happening there. It is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn. This is right next to another rehabbed building which are now apartments. Glad to see the reuse and occupancy!!

http://blogs.knoxnew...-the-strip.html

Some info about the project. Quoting for archival purposes.

The Scope has gotten a couple of questions about construction activity at the Krystal on the Strip.

No building permit has been issued for the property, and it appears that the lot is simply being used as a staging ground for a significant renovation project right behind it.

A building permit was recently issued for renovations at 1719 Lake Avenue, which will become a Hilton Garden Inn.

KNS readers will recall that Atlanta-based Paramount Hospitality Management is planning to open the 112-unit Hilton in March or April. Paramount is also planning a 120-room Residence Inn by Marriott at the corner of State Street and Church Avenue.

Posted by Josh Flory on November 21, 2012 at 10:06 AM

1122_kclo_krystal-thumb-550x410-25650.jpg

Sort of on the subject. Sorry, I haven't checked this forum in awhile. Since Dooley's firing the athletic department is in the hole with Fulmer and now Dooley's buyout. I saw somewhere that UT is going to cut 6 million in academic scholarships over the next few years to help with this. Not familiar with the whole situation, but that doesn't seem like a good way to become a top 25 university. I understand you have to keep boosters and fans happy and whatnot, but not a good situation for UT. I grew up a Vandy fan in Nashville so I cannot ever cheer for the athletics, but I do love the school (academically) and glad they are pushing for top 25 but also hate to see the SCHOOL in this situation.

Sort of on the subject. Sorry, I haven't checked this forum in awhile. Since Dooley's firing the athletic department is in the hole with Fulmer and now Dooley's buyout. I saw somewhere that UT is going to cut 6 million in academic scholarships over the next few years to help with this. Not familiar with the whole situation, but that doesn't seem like a good way to become a top 25 university. I understand you have to keep boosters and fans happy and whatnot, but not a good situation for UT. I grew up a Vandy fan in Nashville so I cannot ever cheer for the athletics, but I do love the school (academically) and glad they are pushing for top 25 but also hate to see the SCHOOL in this situation.

Academics bowing to the will of athletics. Nothing new in Knoxville.

I was really hoping this Top 25 goal would help change the culture at UT from what it was when I was there, but it looks like they still have no qualms about cutting academically oriented programs to float the football team.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think they are cutting programs? They are just forgoing the donation (which has been a MINIMUM of $6million per year) for the next 3 years I believe? UT AD is one of the few that donates that much money into the academic department. The AD needs that money badly right now, and it would seem a tad ignorant to not see the importance the AD plays at UT since they have revenue of over 100 million. The AD receives no public dollars, but is one of the most taxes programs when it comes to ticket sales.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I read somewhere that several SEC schools pay more than UT.  I think UT just got unlucky and screwed the pooch with the Kiffin and Dooley hires.  Yeah, I guess the cut is from the donation from the AD to the school.

In other news, some progress on the Walmart/Publix brownfield development.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/flory/2012/12/land-sold-for-walmart-project.html

0101_kclo_ipad_walmart-thumb-550x300-260

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Was in town yesterday.

New dorm is about 3 to 4 floors up now.

Still mostly ground work on the new student center where the parking garage was.

The John Tickle engineering building is mostly complete on the outside.  It is an interesting looking building.  Will have to wait for it to finish for final verdict.

New large animal expansion is near completion at the vet school and hospital on the ag campus.

Saw core drilling on the Publix/Walmart site!

Sorority village is becoming more complete with only a few houses left.

Sorry was in bit of a rush.  Didn't snap any pictures.  I still have to return to get a few things from the old house though so I will be back.