Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roads-scholar

Top Ten Wish List for Spartanburg in 2010

23 posts in this topic

1. Announcement regarding a NEW city hall

2. Completion of the renovations to the terminal building at the downtown airport

3. Wayfaring signs downtown

4. Hope VI grant for westside / Midtown Heights housing and redevelopment

5. Mast General Store downtown

6. A big jobs announcement

7. Finally, redevelopment of the Montgomery Building

8. Census numbers that reflect a positive increase in the city's population

9. A decrease in the county's unemployment numbers by year's end

10. A replacement for Justin's downtown

2. Completion of the renovations to the terminal building at the downtown airport

All good. Do not believe 1, 5, and 7 will happen this year (or next). Ground breaking for a new Pine Street YMCA is suppose to happen in the next few months. Happy New Year!

I think that the city hall situation has been delayed. I seem to recall a budget allocation for it in the next couple of years though.

I think Kimbrells would be a good location for Mast General. The C&S Bank building is a good location for a restaurant. I went to it between Ellis's Bistro and Justins. Whatever that one was had a good ambiance about it. They never seem to utilize the outdoor seating though. I maintain that if a restaurant will open up downtown that has offers something unique and tastey that it will be a mainstay (eg: Abbeys).

1. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

2. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

3. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

4. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

5. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

6. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

7. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

8. Funding allocations from SCDOT for the East Main St road diet.

9. 1 or 2 big economic development/redevelopment announcements for downtown (be it jobs or a building redevelopment).

10. 1 or 2 new restaurants/bars/shops

I know its just a wish list but can you tell my why #'s 1,5, and 7 won't happen. You seem pretty certain about it.

Love about all of the suggestions so it is tough to come up with a few "different" ones:

1) change the unrealistic leed certification for taller buildings

2) then adopt the master plan

3) bring Justin's back or something close

4) get the co-op grocery store going at hub-bub

5) tenants and reatil spcaces filled at the new condos on Broad

6) create a nickname for Brassiere Eccosse (sp)because with my accent it's hard to suggest for someone to meet me there, but I love the atmosphere

7) Retail/restaurant buildings announced for Renaissance park

8) straighten out Main street and make it to where main doesn't have to merge/yield with itself in front of 1st baptist

9) finally do something with the signage for downtown

10)something to happen at Easton Marketplace

I think that the city hall situation has been delayed. I seem to recall a budget allocation for it in the next couple of years though.

I think Kimbrells would be a good location for Mast General. The C&S Bank building is a good location for a restaurant. I went to it between Ellis's Bistro and Justins. Whatever that one was had a good ambiance about it. They never seem to utilize the outdoor seating though. I maintain that if a restaurant will open up downtown that has offers something unique and tastey that it will be a mainstay (eg: Abbeys).

1. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  2. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  3. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  4. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  5. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  6. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  7. Adopt Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code
  8. Funding allocations from SCDOT for the East Main St road diet.
  9. 1 or 2 big economic development/redevelopment announcements for downtown (be it jobs or a building redevelopment).
  10. 1 or 2 new restaurants/bars/shops

No offense, but I hope you're wrong :)

I think once downtown becomes enough of a destination, these types of restaurants will endure.

No offense, but I hope you're wrong :)

I think once downtown becomes enough of a destination, these types of restaurants will endure.

Top Ten List for 2010!!!

1-Master plan adopted with height restrictions removed.

2-Mast General moves into the old Kimbrells or 111 E. Main

3-All proposed annexations are approved and Census has Spartanburg over 40K

4-Small grocery store with deli opens near Morgan Square

5-Montgomery Building renovation begins

6-No rest/retail closings

7-Large white colar employer moves downtown

8-Ice cream shop opens downtown

9-A limited service hotel is announced as the major tenant of a mixed use building on the corner of Spring St and Main

10-Floyds mortuary moves from N Church St The building is razed and site is put up for sale

Top Ten List for 2010!!!

1-Master plan adopted with height restrictions removed.

2-Mast General moves into the old Kimbrells or 111 E. Main

3-All proposed annexations are approved and Census has Spartanburg over 40K

4-Small grocery store with deli opens near Morgan Square

5-Montgomery Building renovation begins

6-No rest/retail closings

7-Large white colar employer moves downtown

8-Ice cream shop opens downtown

9-A limited service hotel is announced as the major tenant of a mixed use building on the corner of Spring St and Main

10-Floyds mortuary moves from N Church St The building is razed and site is put up for sale

Item #9 is actually a lot owned by the City. When the Square was redone the curve was taken out that used to divert traffic onto Broad St. There is a wonderful development opportunity there on what may be the best piece of dirt left downtown. This is one thing that really gripes me about Spartanburg leadership. Instead of offering the lot for development, they irrigate the grass and the site is used for a dump for the canine population. The lot goes from Main St. all the way back to Broad and from Spring St. West for about 80'. The Herald's parking lot is still curved as the road used to be constructed and I would suppose it would be even better if a land swap was done to make the commom property line between the Herald's Journal and the City owned lot straight. I envision someone building an open air market with canopies ovehanging the street on the first floor, offices on the second level with a mezzanine overlooking the center court, much like the Grove Arcade in Asheville. Then add a limited service hotel like Hampton Inn or Holiday express etc on floors 3-6, then possibly a couple of floors of condos or maybe even a restaurant with rooftop seating on top of that.

Item #9 is actually a lot owned by the City. When the Square was redone the curve was taken out that used to divert traffic onto Broad St. There is a wonderful development opportunity there on what may be the best piece of dirt left downtown. This is one thing that really gripes me about Spartanburg leadership. Instead of offering the lot for development, they irrigate the grass and the site is used for a dump for the canine population. The lot goes from Main St. all the way back to Broad and from Spring St. West for about 80'. The Herald's parking lot is still curved as the road used to be constructed and I would suppose it would be even better if a land swap was done to make the commom property line between the Herald's Journal and the City owned lot straight. I envision someone building an open air market with canopies ovehanging the street on the first floor, offices on the second level with a mezzanine overlooking the center court, much like the Grove Arcade in Asheville. Then add a limited service hotel like Hampton Inn or Holiday express etc on floors 3-6, then possibly a couple of floors of condos or maybe even a restaurant with rooftop seating on top of that.

The Economy Inn and the Main & Pine shopping center had a proposal for a large scale redevelopment to create an "eastern gateway" into the city.

The Economy Inn and the Main & Pine shopping center had a proposal for a large scale redevelopment to create an "eastern gateway" into the city.

Perhaps someone more informed than I can elaborate on it, but as I understood the situation, it was just a proposal so there was never a guarantee. There would be some property assembly and relocating some businesses so it wouldn't be easy. I'd rather see them tear down the motel on the NE corner of that intersection or the Travel Inn. Doing that would create an opportunity for more retail type businesses along that portion of Main St.

Perhaps someone more informed than I can elaborate on it, but as I understood the situation, it was just a proposal so there was never a guarantee. There would be some property assembly and relocating some businesses so it wouldn't be easy. I'd rather see them tear down the motel on the NE corner of that intersection or the Travel Inn. Doing that would create an opportunity for more retail type businesses along that portion of Main St.

I remember when the former Travel Lodge , or whatever it is named, on corner of Main and Pine was a HO JO in the 70's. They had a cool lil grill a la waffle house.

In 1990, an Indian Palace was there for a year or two. I believe the same folks have them in Greenville. It was delicious but ahead of the times for Spartanburg

and didn't make enough money. Also a bar there in early 2000's that was ok.

I think instead of grazing it, it could be seriously updated and become something more than an eyesore. It could be college housing. Make two rooms into suites. Re-open the bar,or

Indian restuarant... mmmmmm Downtown business students could live here. If the medical school comes to the Spartan Mill site then more possible tenants. Weekly room- rates are about$150 and attract transient types or people who are one paycheck away from homelessness.. So they could rent the places for $550 a month for two room kitchenette suites.

New is not always better. I think rehabbing is more exciting and saves the enviroment. They could go with the original art deco style of the hojo. There are two other hotels within a block that could go the same route. We could have an instant population of students in DOWNTOWN biking, living, shopping, eating ETC. Also consider that the Sptbg. Comm College will open sometime in the old Sptg. High School . Loads of potential for re-purposing these old (historic?) hotels.

What I don't like about Spartanburg is that a person(s) who wanted to develop this corner could pressure the owner into saling for cheap (sometimes using city officials as their hench men ie. Code violations etc. or having to upgrade to fit the Master Plan).

Side Note: even until the mid 90's lots of COnverse College parents lodged at the College Motor Inn.

Afterall someone does own this property and their rights need to be respected: they are the one's paying the taxes.

I wonder if these folks have been invited to any of the "property owners" meetings for the Master Plan.

I would argue that these hotels serve no real purpose. They offer no significant architectural or historic value. If we want to keep any of them around for historic purposes, I think the College Motor Inn should be saved. IMO it has more reusability, its site is long an narrow, and it has at least some minor architectural value.

I would argue that these hotels serve no real purpose. They offer no significant architectural or historic value. If we want to keep any of them around for historic purposes, I think the College Motor Inn should be saved. IMO it has more reusability, its site is long an narrow, and it has at least some minor architectural value.