Top 5 things for Charlotte in 2010

HopHead

These topics seem to be typical at the start of a new year, and I've noticed it on other forums... So, what are the top 5 things you'd like to see in the Charlotte area for 2010? I think 5 is easier for most, but add more if you like. I'll start with my wish list.

1) A major corporate relocation, outside of the banking industry, that would bring a few thousand jobs to the area. I know Radio Shack and ENN (their NA HQ) have been mentioned as potential candidates.

2) Roman Bearden Park gets its funding and construction begins.

3) 300 South Tryon gets resurrected in some form or fashion.

4) A solution for 485 to get finished in the next few years actually comes through.

5) And finally, the Bobcats actually make the playoffs for the first time in team history!

Feel free to add...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Lynx NE Extension is approved and fast tracked to begin construction.

2. SEHSR approves and begins infrastructure construction along the NS Mainline in Charlotte.

3. Streetcar monies are applied to a starter line in Center City.

4. Both parks in Uptown commence - and try to "outdo" each other.

5. Bobcats make the playoffs.

Top 5 for 2010

1. Radioshack HQ, ENN US HQ, Ally Bank HQ, Project Cardinal, and Morgan Stanley Retail Bank HQ all come to fruition.

2. CLT gets more international flights, or at least announces intent to start more flights (DUB, MAD, GRU, maybe LIM, maybe BOG, maybe ARN, etc.)

3. Economy returns, and with it Donald Trump announcing the resurrection of his 70 and 40 story projectsthumbsup.gif

4. Someone buys 210 Trade and eventually completes it

5. Unemployment numbers decrease drastically

1. More positive job announcements in sectors other than banking/finance. The RadioShack HQ's would be nice.

2. The ball gets rolling on the LYNX NE line and the streetcar network.

3. More retail is announced for uptown.

4. Third Ward park begins construction.

5. A new hotel is announced for uptown, preferably a W.

1. Money

2. Money

3. Money

4. Money

5. Mooonaaay

...That's the nutshell version, anyway.

1. Happier times, unemployment wise

2. Funding for at least one transit line is found

3. South 277 bridges (Church, Tryon, College) are rightsized for bikes and pedestrians

4. New Bern projects come back to life

5. A major, non-Nascar festival in Uptown

Nothing unique from me...mostly just the big things we read about every week in the Observer:

1.) NE light-rail and the development that follows it.

2.) Something...anything...for Eastland Mall. Preferably private investors, but would prefer public intervention over doing nothing at all.

3.) Streetcar down Central Ave.

4.) Some sort of "centerpiece" park near uptown. Big and awesome, with a water feature and plenty of green.

5.) Another *huge* private project - on the scale of Epicenter or NC Music Factory. Preferably somewhere in one of the 'up and coming' areas outside of 277. Retail, residential, and entertainment mix. Since I have self-serving interests (!!), I vote for N. Davidson St. or Central Ave.

5.) Another *huge* private project - on the scale of Epicenter or NC Music Factory. Preferably somewhere in one of the 'up and coming' areas outside of 277. Retail, residential, and entertainment mix. Since I have self-serving interests (!!), I vote for N. Davidson St. or Central Ave.

Exactly. The Family Dollar spot on Central, one of the old mills on Davidson, or even one of the old junkyards on the other side of Davidson. I also can't wait for *some* kind of development for that stretch of The Plaza that separates NoDa from Midwood. I personally think that stretch could use some chains. It'd be better than what's there now (abandoned gas stations, antique laundromats and pawn shops, etc). That strip eventually will tie NoDa and Midwood together...so anything decent looking and useful would be huge, IMO.

Okay, I'll be greedy...one more thing for my wish-list: a revamp of the Food Lion on The Plaza. NoDa residents rely on that place...and Midwood residents (hesitantly) hit it up when Harris Teeter isn't an option. Seems like they could up the ante and make that place alot nicer, to accomodate the clientele in the area.

I really hope they catch on.

1. City level Domestic Partner benefits passing along with GLBT non-discrimination city employment protections. Then the focus needs to be placed on housing and employment ordinances for city businesses. Already in place in Columbia and Charleston. Time to catch up Charlotte.

2. A bookstore chain or something with major drawing powers opens anywhere in Uptown.

3.Cantina and Caribrueggers on East not being put to death by CMC this year.

4.More small scale storefront style retail in Southend.

5. Stricter enforcement of urban friendly design. More progress on greenways and hoofin it options in general.

1. Begin rail service to the north (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mt. Mourne, Mooresville).

2. Purchase and continue construction on 210 Trade project.

3. Build a building on 300 Tryon and old Carolina theater site.

4. Keep center Charlotte safe and begin seriously punishing by keeping them in jail.

5. Rebuild a big Belks like the old one or install a major retail store. Sac's 5th Ave. would be nice.

My list has realistic but still rather exciting milestones for 2010:

5. East Boulevard is transformed through the heart of Dilworth.

4. Little Sugar Creek Greenway opens between Metropolitan and CMC.

3. The Vue and The Park complete construction.

2. Radio Shack announces a corporate HQ move to Charlotte.

1. Streetcar is awarded a federal urban circulator grant for construction between CTC and Presby.

1) NE line approved by the feds

2) Whole Foods realizes their mistake in not having a Charlotte location

3) More conversions of blank walls to retail space in uptown...and more retail all around for uptown

4) The city and region grow a pair and makes a legitimate attempt to curb sprawl

5) Construction of the Romare Bearden Park

Keeping in mind that all the transit lines are my entire top 10, as well as corporate relocations, here is my top 10 other than transit.

1. Revisiting of the plan for a the new public library complex that included a spirit square renovation, new entertainment options and an apartment tower.

2. A new complex born on the family dollar complex, with a central green area, and a WELL DONE New Urbanist type town center. ( I am drawing fantasy plans now, prelims are included in Armchair developer thread)

3. Work Started of Carolina Theatre Project.

4. An overhaul on zoning laws in Charlotte. Form based zoning maybe?

5. RETAIL RETAIL!

6. Construction begins of Romare Bearden Park and 1st Ward Park

7. For Developers to start building smaller urbanized projects, all around the city.

8. 300 S. Tryon

9. 210 Trade

10. One Charlotte in another Form

1. More job announcements for Charlotte or area in general.

2. More retail and shops open in uptown.

3. More projects announced for 3rd ward to create more density in that area.

4. Construction begins on 300 South Tryon.

5. Construction begins on 1st and 3rd Ward Parks.

6. Begin work on a plan to cap most of the Belk Freeway.

7. 210 Trade issues worked out and resume construction perhaps on a different design maybe 20-25 stories instead.

1. Business: Reinforcement of Energy HUB reputation with ENN Group U.S. HQ as well as multiple smaller firm initiatives.

2. Transportation: Movement forward on the Center City Streetcar, NE line and commuter line

3. Entertainment/Leisure: Romare Bearden Park Construction begins, Groundbreaking on Carolina Theater renovations

4. Skyline: Completion of The Park, Construction of new 210 Trade building, announcement of new 30-50 story commercial building

5. Retail: The return of major street experience shopping to Charlotte via announcement of at least one major store. (It would be sweet if Belk would take a chance on the city which launched it).

So this is completely pie-in-the-sky, but I was just thinking about some of the things that others have posted. Three things have come to mind:

Downtown retail

Corporate relocations (specifically Radioshack)

300 South Tryon resurrection

To me these can be easily accomplished in one project: 300 South Tryon. Here's an idea: Since Uptown has boomed, and almost busted, it has remained pretty healthy. Yea there are cancelled and stalled projects, but still, Uptown is in a better situation than most. Retail sometimes requires a destination, ie. a major retailer enters the market spurring new retail. Since Uptown has seen a resurgence, what if Belk were persuaded to return Uptown? In fact, what if Belk were persuaded to move operations Uptown...in 300 South Tryon. 4 floors of the project would be a department store, and possibly floors for the remaining operations would be included in the project. Not only that, but something like Radioshack could set up operations in the tower, with a 3 story "flagship" also on the ground floor. Radioshack would be influenced by the fact that Belk is a tenant in the project, and is not a direct competitor to the store, but rather a companion store because of Belk's home department.

IF this were to happen, coupled with the Ivey's transformation, or return to the street, Tryon St. and the rest of Uptown could have something a little more substantial in terms of retail. Also, City leaders need to be laying down the law on retail. No more restaurants. The parking lot across from Duke Energy Center could be an awesome way to set precedent for street facing, quality retail. Epicenter doesn't count because it has like two actual retail stores, while the remaining majority is restaurants and clubs.

That's just my two cents on th future.

I doubt Belk would open a store Uptown. There aren't enough people that live Uptown to support it and it's not "destination retail" (it's not going to draw people Uptown since most of the major malls around here have a Belk store). A Saks Fifth Avenue and/or H&M store would bring people who otherwise wouldn't go Uptown into the city to shop.

Anyways, I have a lot of things:

1) Retail Uptown (bookstore, record store, clothing stores, a 24 hour diner, and a mexican restaurant!)

2) More Jobs (diversity of jobs, specifically more creative type jobs)

3) Transit Expansion

4) A real art school would be nice (whatever happened to the Rhode Island School of Design?)

5) 300 South Tryon finds a tenant and starts construction

6) The Park is finally finished

7) 210 Trade begins construction to be finished (most likely in another form) and the Epicenter figures out its problems so more tenants can open up

7) Whole Foods announces a store, or two, or three...

8) Romare Bearden Park begins construction

9) Construction begins to finally finish 485 and widen 85 (as well as the 85/Yadkin River Bridge project)

10) A Houston's and/or Houlihan's restaurant opens somewhere in Charlotte

11) More direct international flights are announced

12) A W Hotel is announced

That's all I can think of for now. :lol:

I would also love to see more infill projects in our historical inner ring neighorhoods. As small as these districts are, it's where Charlotte feels most urban and alive to me. And as popular as these areas are they still seem very niche and off radar for most of Charlotte. On my negative days ( I am a pessimist by nature and fight the good fight against it daily) I think the funky parts of our town are as small as they are because Charlotte does not like diversity or density and is rulled by the cul de sac cabal. I would like and am trying to convince myself that it's all part of the maturing of our urban bones and things are moving in our direction. It's just always going to be a halting and somewhat glacial transformation when trying to retrofit a Sunbelt City into a Smart Growth City.

Instead of feeling like I am not in Charlotte when I am Thomas,Camden and the like ,it would be great for them to grow more and become an integral part of our urban DNA.

Top 5 things for CLT in 2010..

1.For the Bobcats and Panthers to leave town. Or at least a salary cap for those spoiled kids that play for them.( The city puts way to much into sports...just my opinion)Dont forget the majority voted NO for the Cable Box..

2.Street cars along N.Davidson, Elizabeth, and Central for starters.

3.Light rail to start extension past UNCC to Cabarrus County.

4.A reason for me to go uptown. Sorry guys, I live in far NE Meck county and dont remember the last time I was there. Though the Bechtler Museum is on my list of things to do.

5.Rapid expansion of the Greenways in the city and county.

^ I have to agree, there is no point to getting rid of a sports team, the Panthers especially. (The Panthers are very involved in the local community and are a benefit to the city of Charlotte even in the 8-8 years like this one.) Their is no reason to suggest they need a salary cap either; the players are not personally subsidized by the taxpayers.

I will agree that the arena should have never been built due to the "No" vote on the referendum, however it is built and needs a major tenant. I do wish since the city chose to build the arena despite the referendum, that they would have just done it a few years earlier for the Hornets. I think their was more pride in the community for the Hornets. The Hornets also had a name that symbolized the local area's reputation for being a "Hornet's Nest" during the Revolutionary War.

I wish we could get an NHL team in TWC Arena, or maybe if there was some way to realign the Checkers with maybe the AHL and eventually the NHL...That would be awesome.

Top 5 things for CLT in 2010..

1.For the Bobcats and Panthers to leave town. Or at least a salary cap for those spoiled kids that play for them.( The city puts way to much into sports...just my opinion)Dont forget the majority voted NO for the Cable Box..

^^^ echoing what others have said disagreeing about loss of either Panther's or Bobcats. While I respect the poster's view for his/her personal reasons - it would be a significant economic blow to the city as far as visitor and tourist dollars that we count on - let alone image.

Back on topic I know I added my 5 for 2010 already but I did think of one other:

6. Development of the Johnson C. Smith- Johnson and Wales University Corridor! I know Johnson and Wales is expanding their presence with the new Student Center and still have plans for a business school, while I've been heartened by JCSU's Dr. Carter push to expand the University into beyond the present footprint including the new performing arts center and calls for development of trade street corridor from J&W to JCSU.

Add to that the rendering someone had shown a while ago for the proposed complex by Ray's Splash Planet which would include a tower (20 stories?) and the administrative offices of CMS, plus the proposed streetcar and you have the potential for a really exciting growth of the city. I also understand that NCMF has proposed/hopes for a Gateway city connection to their site which would further reinforce the whole city westside as an attraction in itself.

If this all came together I could honestly see the next steps of further revitalization of the westside comparable (on a smaller scale) to the Southend.

6. Development of the Johnson C. Smith- Johnson and Wales University Corridor! I know Johnson and Wales is expanding their presence with the new Student Center and still have plans for a business school, while I've been heartened by JCSU's Dr. Carter push to expand the University into beyond the present footprint including the new performing arts center and calls for development of trade street corridor from J&W to JCSU.

Archived