Top 5 things for Charlotte in 2010

HopHead

^ If you look at attendance records though, the Checkers regularly draw larger crowds than the Rats. Average attendance for a River Rats game in Albany is only something like 3500 people per game. The Checkers average crowds in excess of 5000 per game. If they were on opposing home schedules, I am sure the 5000 or so that regularly attend the Checkers games wouldn't mind also having another team to watch while the Checkers were away. Charlotte is more than big enough to have two minor league teams. We already have 2 minor league Baseball teams in the area (Kannapolis Intimidators and the Charlotte Knights) and a third in Hickory if memory serves me correctly.

And having the Bobcats is no big deal either. I don't think that NBA fans are typically Hockey fans...I could be wrong though.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this missing element in the hockey discussion is the role of the existing Checkers ownership and whatever contractual obligations they have to Bob Johnson et al.

I doubt they will just dissolve the team (they have a substantial investment in it), I doubt they would be willing to pay much additional cash for an AHL team in this market (particularly when the Checkers do OK already) and, given the local ownership structure, I doubt they would be willing to move the team elsewhere.

I am not trying to be negative, just pointing out that its likely to be more complicated than merely thinking about what the canes want.

If the Checkers were to remain in Charlotte in addition to the new AHL team, I think the biggest issue is where would they play? Having to schedule the Bobcats, 2 hockey teams and concerts/other events at TWC Arena would be a logistical nightmare. If that suburban Matthews arena does get built, it's still a few years away from being ready. Is Bojangles Coliseum suitable for hockey use?

According to sources in Albany, "the team will be sold to Michael Kahn, who currently owns the ECHL Charlotte Checkers, and he will move the AHL team to Charlotte." No mention of what will happen to the Checkers though. There are no details of the price for them. I'd be curious to see if Michael (and his investors) could afford two teams and what the ramifications would be for doing so? (i.e. is he allowed to own two teams, even if they are in different levels of the minor leagues).

River Rats will be sold

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if the soon to be River Rats/Checkers owner can rename the River Rats the Checkers. Keeping the same name isn't good for busyness I'm sure, but the Checkers have historical significance here. And, they have a cool mascot.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we got the AHL team and the streetcar push for Uptown to Presbyterian Hospital (two items mentioned on different lists) I wonder if we should have a top post listing all the suggested items where we can cross out the accomplished? Like a scorecard?

Not a bad idea. I've compiled a list (sorry if I missed any) here: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?/topic/51204-charlotte-wishlist-scorecard/

Please do not post your wish list in the new master wish list thread. :)

Archived