The Diner

Jones_

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Diner opened for business on Monday in Glenwood South. I'm personally glad to see a "real" diner opening up in downtown Raleigh. Most large cities have at least 1 iconic diner, that greatly contributes to the city's urban fabric. It should be very successful in Raleigh.

mods, you may or may not want to bring my post over from the coffee house....

If this food is better than Remedy it will be a slam dunk. Now when the hotels go up on and near Glenwood, there will be something besides Hotel food and Bruegers for breakfast nearby.

Whereas this might just seem to be an interesting footnote to most observers, the event of a 24/7 diner opening close to DTR is actually quite a bigger event than one would think at first glance. This type of business would be called by developers or planners "algae in the pond", meaning that there is (urban) life beginning to take hold there. It will certainly make DTR a more hospitable place for nightclubs and conventioneers, even though it is on the "periphery" of downtown. I have to hand it to Hibernian taking such a leap of faith, and I think I can offer them good odds for success.

It's great news to see a 24/7 food joint in downtown, and not better of a place for it than Glenwood. I also feel much more comfortable knowing that this place is owned by a local group that owns numerous bars in the area, so they know the clientele well and how to operate a successful business in DTR, which will no doubt help it succeed. In addition to that knowledge, they have much deeper pockets than someone just starting out, so they can afford to keep it operating much easier while it builds its customer base, making it far less likely to shut down. I know I will be going to check it out and give them some business!

Tried it last night. Good food, decent prices, great atmosphere. Downside is that there seems to be fewer tables in the indoor dining area than Hard Times had--and this time of year, that could be an issue. But that patio....wow. Once it is warmer, it is going to be THE place to be, I can tell. Look forward to trying it out in a couple months. :thumbsup:

Archived