EPA proposing stricter smog standards

Neo

The EPA is proposing its strictest ever smog standards which would add approximately 500-600 more counties to the danger list. Those counties would be required to reduce levels as counties under the current standard are required to do.

Do you think this is the right move and is it even doable? Obviously the automobile and the unrestricted polluting from manufacturing and power plants over the last century has had a huge impact on smog. Some of that smog gets pushed into areas that are down-wind thus making a problem that wasn't really their problem a major problem.

The New York Times has more on this: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/07/us/AP-US-EPA-Smog.html?_r=1

• 3 months later...

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly think changes need to be made, but slowly enough to not supply a negative jolt to the economy. I think the government does have some business in this, but I don't like government agencies getting to dictatorial, like the EPA. Or like CARB here in California - freakin' overbloated bureaucracy that does more harm than good. These environmental groups and agencies do need to be limited in their power.

Archived