ronsmytheiii

Favorite Building in Hampton Roads

10 posts in this topic

I normally do not make this type of thread, but with all the issues with stalled and canceled development, we need to appreciate what we have. So post what is your favorite building architecturally.

For me it is a tie:

Architecturally I like the Arnold B. McKinnon Building (Norfolk Southern) except the parking garage. The reflective lime green windows are definetely unique, and it definitely bucks the trend of a massive box:

4254687503_83a6039797_b.jpg

The other is the Westin Hotel and Conference Center. It dares to rise against the suburbia of Virginia Beach and reach to the sky with a modern spire (Which I like) It also has a great mix of colors which definitely bucks the trend around the area:

4255451260_bded5a5a59_b.jpg

I dig the USIS Building (Darth Vader building in downtown Norfolk), and the AT&T building (the front side, not big on the back part.)

Back in the day the AT&T building looked different. It was "de-horned" (microwave antennas removed) some time ago. Fiber optics rule now.

Of course there are others that are awesome.

My favorite for architecture/design is the CHKD building in downtown Norfolk.

For years it was Dominion Tower, but I think the Dominion Enterprises building is now my favorite. The thing is, IMO, this area really lacks a building with a true signature design. No curves or angles to really speak of, except for the Norfolk Southern tower. Just four walls and a pointed roof. 

Really hope the architects get out of that habit over the next few years.

Edited by BFG

I would have to say my favorite building is Wells Fargo Center and the Norfolk Southern Building in Downtown Norfolk

Forgot one...Hampton City Hall is probably my all-time favorite.

fg2257.JPG

My favorite building in Hampton Roads is the Chrysler Museum of Art. It is my favorite both for the fantastic collection of art it houses, but also for it's italianate building which is newly renovated, but was architecturally unified in a 1989 renovation.

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/2014/05/140516-First-Look-Chrysler-Museum-of-Art-Renovation.asp

I am also a big fan of the new Slover Library on Plume St. I think the architects (Newman) did a masterfull job of connecting two building of very different styles (Seaboard Building and Selden Arcade.)

http://www.npl.lib.va.us/about-npl/hours-locations/new-slover-branch

1 person likes this

I had to look up 201 Granby and I found this image instead:

granby_zpse262114e.jpg

Someone had a bad day.

Edited by zeppelin14