Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spartan

The Grain District

83 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Quick update on intersection progress.  That plan in my last post (posted again below) seems quite accurate.  Concrete is in, and it looks like brick crosswalks will be next.  They've actually already finished the mid-block crossing shown in that plan, complete with bulb-out on the south curb (photo 2 below).  I only wish it were raised, to slow traffic more.  But it's still nice.  Looking forward to the finished product.

58f6d5eabde87_IMG_0776Stitch.thumb.jpg.93dafaebdc9d1aaa9e0eeec23fb7f028.jpgIMG_0778.thumb.JPG.2b235d695334407434646df6053b6c91.JPG58f6d6eae14b1_ACHotellandscapingplan.jpg.90a997ed3ad1d9a49fdcc54011526cd9.jpg

Edited by westsider28
Oops, new page; added rendering from last page for context.

I was looking at this week's Upstate Business Journal and saw an ad for a proposed building at 331 West Main (old car dealer).  The building (which would have to go thru DRB) is only 1-story tall and has a drive-thru, which is concerning.  This is DT-5, which requires 2+ stories and has several restrictions on drive-thrus (which I think should really be banned entirely).  The DRB set a dangerous precedent when they approved the Event Rentals building at 1-story.  This important gateway needs to be a pedestrian-friendly extension of DT proper, not a series of strip centers.  I hope they reject this one.

331wm.JPG.b00f746371789b948e8932e5932538f1.JPG

Agreed. But if they do allow it, I hope they require a design that is attractive and doesn't look like a generic suburban shopping center.

It looks like a new skin on the old building? I understand that there are issues with the soil on this site for

new construction. Hopefully this want pass and something much better will come of this site in the future.

This building is an eyesore.  Anything is an improvement. 

Well, a few other thoughts - yes, it is DT5, but the fact that it's an existing building is going to play into the decision.  For example, it isn't going to be able to meet the setbacks required in DT5 because it is already there.  I am not sure all of the standards apply.  They will apply - it appears to me - if it is a substantial modification (above 50% in appraised value) and then only to the "expanded area and the landscaping requirement to the extent practical."  

I will have to ask to be sure, but I've been told that DRB approval is only required for new construction in DT6 and in required shopfront and parcels greater than 2 acres.  (I am looking at section 2.4.1 of the downtown code.)  But even on the one vs two story issue - not sure the DRB could really require them to add a second story...  

I may not like this a lot, but I don't know if we have a regulatory framework to refuse it.  

I wasn't thinking renovation for some reason, so in that case I can understand the regulations being different.  I hope the car entrance will be on Walker St, to help with walkability along Main.  And I still think the Code should be changed to disallow drive-thrus.  Anyway, I guess we'll see how this shakes out.

Posted (edited)

Well, the DMA & West Main intersection is done and looks really nice.  Below is a finished view of that and the mid-block crossing near RJ Rockers.  Now work is being done around the railroad tracks to enable the crossing to be a "quiet zone."  Medians are going in to prevent cars from going around the stop-arms.  One of the medians now makes Ezell St right-turn only, but that's not really a big deal. (pics from several different days)

IMG_3236.thumb.JPG.854d77d9c9050c45dee24cf4aaf4d160.JPGIMG_0795.thumb.JPG.72461177b2baa0cc8d573dd21cca2f04.JPGIMG_3279.thumb.JPG.3925d5cf20962282e988ba5f915f866b.JPGIMG_0793.thumb.JPG.40405932feb182708e6d4b6757eb7778.JPG

Edited by westsider28
Newer photo