The Grain District

Spartan

I would be surprised if it sold for 7.5.  

I would also be surprised if a certain downtown property owner with a highly vested interest in what happens to that particular site in particular and that end of downtown generally would allow it to be purchased by another party.

I would be further surprised if there were any immediate plans to do anything with it if and when the purchase is completed.

10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Johnson Development?  I guess that wouldn't be too surprising, but it would be disappointing.  They would certainly be willing to sit on it.

I know nothing for certain. But knowing a little about how they operate, their concern (angst?) about protecting their investment in the AC Hotel, and the resources they have, this would make the most sense, no?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some juicy info: a public notice has been posted for a Voluntary Clean-up Contract for the Spartan Grain site (10.49 acres).  The party involved is Morgan & Henry JOF AAI, LLC, which I looked up, and the agent is Steven M Querin (a lawyer at JSH&W, a firm that has represented Johnson Development).  :ph34r:

The VCC notice goes on to say: "Morgan & Henry JOF AAI, LLC (MH) wants to acquire the property and is considering multiple redevelopment opportunities including commercial offices, multifamily housing, or hotels." 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

City Council certified 277 West Main as an abandoned textile mill site at their meeting tonight, which allows the owner to take advantage of tax credits for redevelopment.  This is the former Piedmont Bonded Warehouse and Compress (behind the building that Cohen's is in).  The owner intends to renovate/develop the site, but it's early in the process, so there's no concrete plan yet.  Still, it's exciting to see the beginnings of some action on the west side of the RR tracks.

site.thumb.jpg.c170eecdd8d1d4e018a82aec124a8266.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, westsider28 said:

City Council certified 277 West Main as an abandoned textile mill site at their meeting tonight, which allows the owner to take advantage of tax credits for redevelopment.  This is the former Piedmont Bonded Warehouse and Compress (behind the building that Cohen's is in).  The owner intends to renovate/develop the site, but it's early in the process, so there's no concrete plan yet.  Still, it's exciting to see the beginnings of some action on the west side of the RR tracks.

site.thumb.jpg.c170eecdd8d1d4e018a82aec124a8266.jpg

Would love to see this get a reuse plan as a mixed use, Live/Work/Play kind of a project. Couple this with what will hopefully happen at the Coca Cola building  and we'll quickly see the empty lots start to fill in between them! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize this previously, but Johnson Development also bought the Maaco site at DMA and Henry.  With the Spartan Grain site, they now control that entire super-block bound by Henry, DMA, Main and the RR tracks (minus a small City-owned lot where maintenance equipment is stored).  It's also in an Opportunity Zone.  I hope they're planning something significant.

IMG_2245.thumb.JPG.d646b629056ca69ff74e1d5abb739791.JPG

2131816730_Jdevland.JPG.fbfc3beaf809b5ec592bb31a41190fb2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, westsider28 said:

I didn't realize this previously, but Johnson Development also bought the Maaco site at DMA and Henry.  With the Spartan Grain site, they now control that entire super-block bound by Henry, DMA, Main and the RR tracks (minus a small City-owned lot where maintenance equipment is stored).  It's also in an Opportunity Zone.  I hope they're planning something significant.

I would love to see a major mixed use development rise there. It would be such a wonderful addition to downtown and help stimulate the just west of downtown area which so desperately needs some serious anchor development! All this is very exciting... and now the US Census Bureau has ranked Spartanburg County as the 19th fastest growing metro area in the USA. 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 12:34 PM, westsider28 said:

Any new on this?  This site has a lot of development potential.  Johnson owns the Hearld building too, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Nothing yet.  I imagine this will be a long-term project.  Probably several years out.

And yes, Johnson does own the HJ site too.  I've heard rumors that something might happen there sooner.

I hope the HJ building is a cool project, this is a great piece of real estate in town.  George Dean will own most of Spartanburg along with Andrew Babb.  But, I like seeing a lot of the buildings being renovated instead of new stale buildings.  And, as boring as the hJ building is, wouldn’t mind seeing it part of a larger project, I think the New group is staying in parts of the building.

Edited by CLT_sc

• 2 weeks later...

Blackstock Development LLC has purchased 331 and 335 West Main (GSA Biz article, Colliers article).  They have also apparently purchased the Piedmont Bonded Warehouse (i.e. Cohen's), so they have quite the assemblage here (see below).  The agent behind the LLC appears to be a principal at RealtyLink of Greenville.  The articles mention they co-developed a senior living facility near WestGate Mall (this one; not too impressive).  These properties are in an opportunity zone and Piedmont is certified as an abandoned textile site, so lots of tax credits available.  Hopefully we'll see some movement on plans here next year.  Lots of potential on West Main.

bsdev.JPG.66d7c2712f8213101dbbc75978a0e445.JPG

• Like 2

I know I am reading into this...but that would not be a horrible location for a large senior living community. It would increase the city population, increase the foot traffic in downtown, and turn basically abandoned property into something of use. Its close to medical care, a quick shuttle drive to shopping outside of the Morgan Square area, and would fill a void that Spartanburg seems to have...lack of senior housing. 

• Like 2

@sptgguy I wouldn't mind that, but I think you are reading into it a bit.  RealtyLink has done many different types of development, mainly with partners.  They seem to mostly be facilitators for what their partners want.  Though, it looks like they have done some luxury residential themselves. 

Also, we've definitely been getting more senior housing development lately: Parkside at Drayton on the eastside, the Ellington on the Northside, the development behind Texas Roadhouse on the westside, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

@sptgguy I wouldn't mind that, but I think you are reading into it a bit.  RealtyLink has done many different types of development, mainly with partners.  They seem to mostly be facilitators for what their partners want.  Though, it looks like they have done some luxury residential themselves. 

Also, we've definitely been getting more senior housing development lately: Parkside at Drayton on the eastside, the Ellington on the Northside, the development behind Texas Roadhouse on the westside, etc.

Anything would be better than what is there now. That being said, it needs to be athletically pleasing and commercial on the bottom. Draw more foot traffic to that part of downtown and start pushing the boundary west!!! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Craft Axe Throwing (a franchise with 6 locations, including Greenville) is coming to the basement of RJ Rockers.  The space is 3500 sq ft, which was freed up as RJ Rockers has transitioned more to canning of beers (which takes less space) as opposed to bottling.

Sounds cool.  Axe throwing is definitely the hot thing right now.  They should do good business.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2020 at 7:30 PM, spartanburgh said:

I'm hearing rumors that Royce Camp is planning a small mixed use building in the Grain District. It would be smaller than Main and Morgan, but larger than

the Wall St. Building. No, timeline for construction though.....

This project will come before the DRB for Preliminary Conceptual Review & Approval at their March 3 meeting.  It's called "The Danmor" and is located at 203 Harris Place.  The parcel is only 0.11 acres, so it will be interesting to see what can be squeezed onto that site.

203rc.JPG.726817cd94a4143b175c68c9e6ed4ffb.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:43 PM, gman430 said:

Hopefully #3 is the area between QT and the railroad tracks. The city should be ashamed of themselves for not improving this area. 

Good news: the West Main gateway is what was mentioned at the One Spartanburg event.

Bad news: it's 2-3 years away.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this has been in the planning stages for a while.  Now the Group of 100 is committing $300,000 over 3 years to the streetscaping effort.  The total cost will be around $2.2 million.  Engineering and final design still needs to be done (and more money committed) before construction can begin, hence the timeline.  The plan looks great.  One lane each way, on-street parking, protected bike lane, street trees, etc.  Apologies on the poor photo, but here you go:

IMG_20200225_180954249.thumb.jpg.196d3c76609c04ce09ad2dd6419046d6.jpg

Edit: H-J article

Edited by westsider28