The Grain District

Spartan

On 2/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, westsider28 said:

Saw a notice in the paper today about a VCC for two brownfield properties at 283 and 289 Brawley Street (~1 acre).  They're currently owned by Wakefield, but West Main Partners, LLC intends to acquire the property and develop it for mixed-use commercial and multi-family residential.  The property was once used for dyeing and dry cleaning.  West Main Partners is registered to Blackstock Development, the same group who owns several parcels on West Main (355, 311, and 277 aka Piedmont Bonded Warehouse).  This could also be related to "Project Edge" mentioned on the previous page. 

734809892_Wakefieldparcels.thumb.jpg.6ade2f3d6ceaf269eabd96b9a0f7e2bc.jpg

And IMO, it's positive to see that Wakefield is willing to sell these properties.  Hopefully they'll eventually sell the large one next door (seems the best use might be a park).

^Not sure if this deal fell through or if they're just testing the market first, but the Wakefield properties north of St John have been listed for sale.  It's going for $365,000 per acre.  The listing says +/-8 acres, but GIS says it's only ~4.7 acres.  It's a challenging site for access reasons and a creek running through the site, but the location is fantastic.  I hope we can manage to get a solid development here.

574890165_wfland.thumb.jpg.feb800365a527d9b0c33824f8159d0d7.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, westsider28 said:

^Not sure if this deal fell through or if they're just testing the market first, but the Wakefield properties north of St John have been listed for sale.  It's going for $365,000 per acre.  The listing says +/-8 acres, but GIS says it's only ~4.7 acres.  It's a challenging site for access reasons and a creek running through the site, but the location is fantastic.  I hope we can manage to get a solid development here.

According to NAI Earle Furman, this property is already Under Contract!  And about that acreage discrepancy: I think the sale might include some Wakefield property south of Saint John, because I noticed new survey flags in the Branch Street area this weekend. :ph34r:

PXL_20230211_215957913.thumb.jpg.58bbe72739b13262bde51d714f55a1f7.jpg

PXL_20230211_215941586.thumb.jpg.84f511c42436d47d07888d27a9c69907.jpg

13 minutes ago, NotNotSanti said:

Continued rumors of the baseball stadium rising. GDJ initials, maybe? I also heard rumors that if the deal isn’t finalized this year, whatever it is, won’t happen. Strike three, I guess? XD Still hoping for a homerun!

I hope they are true.  I was walking down that way way and it just looks ideal for a stadium and other amenities.  I don’t know the regulations in regards to the Greenville Drive, but would still be a great location…..

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

According to NAI Earle Furman, this property is already Under Contract!  And about that acreage discrepancy: I think the sale might include some Wakefield property south of Saint John, because I noticed new survey flags in the Branch Street area this weekend. :ph34r:

PXL_20230211_215957913.thumb.jpg.58bbe72739b13262bde51d714f55a1f7.jpg

PXL_20230211_215941586.thumb.jpg.84f511c42436d47d07888d27a9c69907.jpg

Dun, dun, dun. 

On 2/13/2023 at 10:02 PM, hub-city said:

I hope they are true.  I was walking down that way way and it just looks ideal for a stadium and other amenities.  I don’t know the regulations in regards to the Greenville Drive, but would still be a great location…..

I'm not sure what the rules are, exactly, but I think that distance requirement 1) can be waived somehow, and 2) would not apply if it were used for non MiLB baseball (e.g.: The Spartanburgers)

It would be interesting if somehow we could get a baseball stadium on one of those large tracts of land. 

On 2/18/2023 at 11:06 AM, Spartan said:

I'm not sure what the rules are, exactly, but I think that distance requirement 1) can be waived somehow, and 2) would not apply if it were used for non MiLB baseball (e.g.: The Spartanburgers)

It would be interesting if somehow we could get a baseball stadium on one of those large tracts of land. 

I'm not against a baseball stadium but when Spartanburg wants to develop the grain district I think it would be interesting to see them prepare the area for big regular events like a baseball season. We do have a good downtown but the baseball stadium would be at the edge of the downtown area on the west main side. Would love to see more restaurants and walkable developments come to where we all want the stadium to make sure there is a strong walkable area that can make the games enjoyable just like they have in Greenville

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This has been discussed a bit in the Downtown Development thread, but I agree that it definitely seems like plans for development on the Spartan Grain site are moving toward fruition.  The new state earmark request for downtown infrastructure has been mentioned.  In addition to clearing, surveying, and soil testing on-site recently, there is an updated VCC amendment for the site.  It specifically mentions acquisition of 1.96 acres of CSX property on west side of the site (I believe it's the land outlined below).  Planned use is "office/commercial space."

1095376943_csxgdsite.jpg.ddafe03f4836243ad339afcce898441e.jpg

Here's a P&C article about potentially $34 million in state funding committed to downtown over the last 3 years.  "The $34 million in state money would be used to relocate and add downtown road and parking options, as well as paying for water, sewer and electrical infrastructure" and would be "catalytic for the Upstate."  Local tax dollars would also be used, and the private investment amount would be "multitudes" of the public investment.  “As we see the region growing with more manufacturing and distribution type jobs, we need this plank to be in balance,” City Manager Chris Story said of the effort to bring in more office and administrative jobs. “For the table top to be level, you’ve got to have different types of jobs and employment opportunities, as well as quality of life.”

Exciting times.  I do hope we hear something publicly soon (perhaps when the state earmark is confirmed).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Saw a VCC notice in the paper today for a 0.78-acre site on West Henry by the RR tracks.  It's under-contract to a Johnson Development-associated LLC.  It says they "intend to redevelop [the site] in the near future." 

2044709070_whenrysite.jpg.7b87cff3546df5f54c3d8151dbd4a137.jpg

In addition to the Spartan Grain site, Johnson Development owns several other parcels in the vicinity.

2129825499_gdsites.jpg.8d9df3986dcf4e1f830c043acef0190e.jpg

I also noticed that the building at 150 West Henry (below) was recently repainted bright teal.  Anyone know what's going on there?  There was a beer/wine application for that building several years ago, but nothing came of it.  Seems to still be owned by the same people.

150wh.thumb.jpg.ad76b2304ca44a5688f8398d1e543629.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 8:21 PM, westsider28 said:

Looks like this site is listed for sale again (so whoever it was under-contract to apparently backed out).  $2.65 million for 8.08 acres. 

Phase 1 Environmental completed
Boundary Topography completed
Engineered site plan completed
SCDOT Driveway Confirmation

The property consists of 5 tax parcels that have been combined into one. Zoned DT-5 for Urban Center [...] in an Opportunity Zone and eligible for redevelopment credits through the SC Textiles Communities Revitalization Act.

Will be interesting to see what happens here.