Park Road / Woodlawn / Montford Area Retail

I searched for a thread for this area, but didn't find one. As large of a retail and entertainment area as it is, I figured it needed its own. I for one love bar hopping on Montford.

There have been a couple of new additions and changes to the neighborhood. Space Savers is closing its store on Montford Drive sometime next month. I've been told they're moving, but don't know where. Flying Biscuit is upfitting a space in the PRSC (old Suarez Bakery space). Opening date is set for April.

I searched for a thread for this area, but didn't find one. As large of a retail and entertainment area as it is, I figured it needed its own. I for one love bar hopping on Montford.

There have been a couple of new additions and changes to the neighborhood. Space Savers is closing its store on Montford Drive sometime next month. I've been told they're moving, but don't know where. Flying Biscuit is upfitting a space in the PRSC (old Suarez Bakery space). Opening date is set for April.

I can't wait for Flying Biscuit to open. A buddy of mine and I are counting down the days!

Flying Biscuit is upfitting a space in the PRSC (old Suarez Bakery space). Opening date is set for April.

Suarez Bakery is still there. The Flying Biscuit will be in the old El Frieda's Florist spot. They had originally planned to open back in Dec. but ran into lot's of asbesto's and it took them a while to clean it out. It's been a real mess in there. And thank goodness Suarez is still there. I pay them a visit at least once a week. :) Carlos, the owner has no plans to move anytime soon. In fact, Tizzerts has recently started using Suarez's ovens for their cakes.

I mentioned in another thread some time ago that the former Quaker Steak building (started off in the 1950's a the S&W Cafeteria) is coming down for a McDonald's.

Montford still has lot's of potential. I like the new Brazwell's Pub (formerly the Press Box) and look forward to seeing what develops in the now vacant building behind Taco Bell. The Loop was a pretty good place to eat and I was sad to see them close. The Bombay Cuisine place didn't last more than a couple months. Hopefully something else good will move in there.

Edited by swampfox43

Montford would benefit with a little more attention-grabbing entrances. I'm suprised the shops on it do as well as they have. I think the only reason I'm even aware of what's on it, was from parking in the Ghazi center and wondering what was going on "over there" (sounds from Angry Ale's etc.)

At least it succeeds better than the back side of Park Road shopping center. (For those of you aware, that there are indeed more shops behind it.)

I don't go to Montford at all but I am glad about what has evolved. The area actually has some of the "there there" that we lack in this town. Maybe they should do a better job of promoting the strip to the major traffic that rolls by daily. Signage or something, although if too many people start going the experience won't be as authentic. There have been a few blurbs in the O and CL. That must mean it's already totally over laugh.gif

Edited by Forrest

Swamp Fox, thanks for the correction. I had breakfast over at Charlotte Cafe yesterday and noticed I had gotten it wrong and needed to make note of it. I am horrified that McDonald's is taking the original S&W Cafeteria site. It's a great building that's been riddled with bad restaurants.

As for Montford, I love it because it's organic. It's ugly and piecemeal and it's not EpiCentre. Thank God! It evolved over time. I just wish someone could make a go of the Mickey's space near the corner of Abbey and Montford.

I just wish someone could make a go of the Mickey's space near the corner of Abbey and Montford.

Speaking of Abbey & Montford, it just occurred to me that the former Blockbuster space is now also vacant. That would make a pretty good site for a restaurant. Anyone have a clue what might be going there? Like I said, there is still LOT'S of potential for this area to become even better with all the recent vacancies.

• 3 months later...

I had mentioned some time ago that the old Quaker Steak building was coming down and McDonald's going to build a large restaurant there. Those plans are not going to happen thank goodness. That building is nearly 50 years old and some of you may remember when it started as an S&W Cafeteria. Of course, it's been many, many restaurants since then. I was kinda sad to hear it was coming down, mainly for sentimental reasons.

Well, the owner of the newest Flying Biscuit at Park Rd Shopping Center has bought the building and is going to open up a Monkey Joe's. From what I have been told, the building will not be torn down, just remodeled. According to the website, there is one in Pineville, Matthews & University City. I guess you can't have enough places to let your kids run wild though.

• 1 month later...

The transformation of Montford continues as the Old Smokehouse will close down after 53 years in business.

I must have eaten at Roasting Company (next door) a hundred times. I often wondered how Smokehouse stayed open, because there were so few customers in it. Nor did I ever go in, myself. The place just looked so frumpy and worn.

Any more information on what is happening at the Quaker Steak building? Renovations going on now, but not sure what is going to be the final tenant. Any more info out there?

LOL, I mentioned what was going in the old Quaker Steak building just 3 post above yours. But who reads posts that far back, lol? I admit I've been guilty of that as well.

Anyway, the same guy who owns Flying Biscuit at PRSC has bought the QS building and is going to open a Monkey Joe's there.

Edited by swampfox43

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The much anticipated "refresh" of Park Road Shopping Center has begun. Edens and Avant have a great mock up area at the entrance to Sir Ed's (complete with story boards on how the center will look when completed).  IMO, they're doing a very good job with the remodel.  It's gonna look great when finished.  You can see some of the renderings at the PRSC facebook page:   https://www.facebook.com/ParkRoadShoppingCenter.  The brick facade is being painted white, insets where logos/name plates go are on stained wood planks, seasonal planters in all parking areas, hip street furniture, new awnings, and very cool lighting. The water/ice kiosk in the parking area is being demolished for a free-standing gelato shop.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Did anyone see the new Area plan? It calls for new out parcels to be built in the parking lot, and the development of a main street down the center of the complex. Actually I really like the plan for the whole neighborhood. Running out of land was the best thing that ever happened to Charlotte.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/AreaPlanning/Plans/Pages/ParkWoodlawnAreaPlan.aspx

Edited by Guest

Yes, and the Plan also calls for a street environment along Montford Drive, similar to Commonwealth Avenue.  But unfortunately, no such project is in the CIP, for which bonds run from 2014 through 2020.  And frankly, Dulin wasn't a champion for any projects in his district, including Park South Drive extension, instead focusing on as small of a tax rate hike as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in what wood panels at Park Road Shopping Center will look like, here's a pic.  They're doing the paneling for the Teeter right now, as well as digging up the road by Fuel pizza, not sure what for though.

5-29-13

i-CbnG6nP-M.jpg