Park Road / Woodlawn / Montford Area Retail

Really wish they had done away with (or seriously reduced) the curbside parking. It would make it much easier to see pedestrians that are crossing over from the shops to the parking lot.

They should replace it with a cycletrack (or buffered bike lanes) with bike parking.  Just imagine if a branded path tied to the greenway.  Maybe from the side of Michael's at least, if not out front, in order to connect the arcade to the rest of Charlotte by foot and bike.

• Like 2

Rock Salt will have the most interesting restaurant site in Charlotte outside of Metropolitan.  What's currently the back of the dry cleaners will now be a patio on the Little Sugar Creek Greenway.  Could be very cool! Now comes the obvious:backlash from Myers Park Manor homeowners (other side of the the creek) complaining about the lights and noise.

• Like 2

They should replace it with a cycletrack (or buffered bike lanes) with bike parking.  Just imagine if a branded path tied to the greenway.  Maybe from the side of Michael's at least, if not out front, in order to connect the arcade to the rest of Charlotte by foot and bike.

I walked the greenway from CPCC to Park Road Shops and I agree that they need to take advantage of that connection.  

A bigger issue though is the greenway connection (or lack of) between Princeton (end of Freedom Park) and Westfield.   It's only a block but unless you know that there is more to the greenway you think it ends at Freedom.  They also have a bit of a blind spot at Westfield and Hillside.  I attached screenshots to highlight.

post-24262-0-25767700-1390484585_thumb.ppost-24262-0-56706000-1390484585_thumb.p

I don't think they need to construct additional paths so much as place about half a dozen signs alerting people along the "non-path" part of the greenway which way to go.

Edited by Urbanity

^ I do remember one on one of the residential streets but it was old and not very noticeable.  I just did a Google Street View walk through and found one.  Keep in mind it is after you have already walked a block on Jameston (by Irby)  away from Freedom Park (how would you know until you got to the sign?).   I also think it's not particularly noticeable.

post-24262-0-38306000-1390492087_thumb.p

There is a two-sided sign at corner of Westfield/Hillside.   I can't see the one side too well but I'm assuming it has an arrow

post-24262-0-93737100-1390492951_thumb.p

then again, the other side of it does not, and I will point out if you turn the corner - you are suppose to go to where the red arrow is, but would the average person see that?

post-24262-0-29373200-1390493073_thumb.p

BTW - This may seem off topic, but I think it is very on topic as The Park Road Shopping Center really could take advantage of being "on the greenway" and develop that flow between the front and back better.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^I've heard a Vietnamese restaurant is coming to PRSC, but not sure if it will be in the new building.  BTW, I have to say I'm really disappointed that Edens is turning its back on the greenway.  The back court parking lot was the perfect opportunity to embrace it and create an even better public space. Oh well.

^I've heard a Vietnamese restaurant is coming to PRSC, but not sure if it will be in the new building.  BTW, I have to say I'm really disappointed that Edens is turning its back on the greenway.  The back court parking lot was the perfect opportunity to embrace it and create an even better public space. Oh well.

The Vietnamese place is going beside Omega sports.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article20325597.html

• Like 1