Residential wind turbines

Neo

Honeywell introduced a $5,995 wind turbine at this year's CES that you can purchase and install on your house. It will supposedly generate ~25% of the electricity that the average home uses. Obviously this has benefits over solar since it will generate electricity in good and bad weather and takes up a lot less space. It even works with low wind speeds (as little as 2mph).

You can check out the turbines site here: http://www.earthtronics.com/honeywell.aspx

Would you purchase one of these to assist in getting you off the grid? I can't say that I have $6k to blow on something like this, particularly when my electricity bill averages $60, but I'm sure costs for this sort of thing will come down.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neo, it's hard to tell from the video, but that turbine appears to be huge! If i had to guess, i would say it's about 25 ft in diameter. Maybe it's because there is no point of reference, and it is actually smaller. Based on what i'm imagining, i can't see putting one of those on top of the average home.

However, that is probably the first affordable unit with a decent output, so it is good news.

• 2 months later...

And now I hear that the gov. has given the green light on the Massachusetts wind farm - true?? (Sorry, don't mean to get off topic....)

The green light for the Cape Cod wind farm is very exciting and is true. Hopefully the project goes well and other states jump onboard. I would love for my state (North Carolina) to install wind farms off the coast.

• 10 months later...

Honeywell introduced a $5,995 wind turbine at this year's CES that you can purchase and install on your house. It will supposedly generate ~25% of the electricity that the average home uses. Obviously this has benefits over solar since it will generate electricity in good and bad weather and takes up a lot less space. It even works with low wind speeds (as little as 2mph).

Hey Neo,

Very nice post and good find. I came across these turbines myself some time ago when they were first announced, but they kind of slipped my mind. Something to note: the company has licensed Honeywell's name, so it is not a Honeywell product. Many new energy economy companies are doing this to give their product an air of legitimacy - not to say the product doesn't work, but building integrated wind has had very mixed results and many companies try to avoid releasing any energy production stats post install. I myself am very interested in learning more about the technology and will continue to do some research. I may even try and track down their install in NYC and see if I can talk to someone about it. From what I've read, if a company gives you production data on their spec sheet, you should take 25% to 33% of that as the actual production number. If I come across more on that I will post it.

Thanks for reminding me of earth tron - it's back on my radar.

• 5 months later...

From what I gathered I don't believe it is that big. Obviously turbines are going to need downsizing to be useful for residential.

I just left my job at a solar company, so I'm fairly familiar with the green industry.

I worked trade shows often and saw these Honeywell turbines a few times. They're about 8-10 feet in diameter.

I just left my job at a solar company, so I'm fairly familiar with the green industry.

I worked trade shows often and saw these Honeywell turbines a few times. They're about 8-10 feet in diameter.

Thanks for posting the size of these things! At that size they definitely wouldn't be hidden from view. I'm sure my neighbors would love it if I stuck one on our roof. :silly:

Archived