Charlotte Checkers AAA Hockey

brianb0518

Observer reporting it as well. I noticed that it is the Checkers that are holding a press conference and it is about the "future of hockey" in Charlotte which gives me hope that the guessing is correct and that the Checkers name will be usedfor the AHL franchise here.

http://www.charlotte...ry/1234742.html

Edited: Seems like it is definite that the Checkers be the AHL of Hurricanes.

"A press conference is scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday in Charlotte, with the sale of the to be formalized. The River Rats will become the Charlotte Checkers. The Checkers compete this season in the East Coast Hockey League, but with the franchise being moved, will compete in the AHL for the 2010-2011 season."

http://www.troyrecor...63007510580.txt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Checkers currently play in the ECHL and have for the past 17 seasons. The ECHL has been an integral component in helping the team establish credibility in the Charlotte market and has provided a high level of hockey as evidenced by the numerous players that played their way to the AHL and NHL. The team will continue to play in the ECHL in hopes of winning a championship and helping promote current Checkers players to the next level.

This reads like the Checkers name will stay with the ECHL, which is disappointing. I was really hoping the AHL franchise would carry the Checkers name.

This reads like the Checkers name will stay with the ECHL, which is disappointing. I was really hoping the AHL franchise would carry the Checkers name.

No. It was confirmed that the AHL team in Charlotte will have the Checkers name. I agree that the passage is confusing but the Checkers name is staying in Charlotte.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

It would be remiss to not note that as of last night, the ECHL Checkers were at the top of the South division.

What a great way for the ECHL team to end their final season in Charlotte.

I kind of like that this ^^^^ was the last post in the thread. As how sweet it is to now post the Checkers are in the second round of AHL playoffs in the inaugural season since they knocked out back-to-back season winners the Hershey Bears!

I had on-the ice tickets for one of the games and they get the crowd charged. Already got my on-ice tickets for the two Charlotte games of Round 2 against Penguins!

Pics from one of the Round Play-off games: https://picasaweb.go...274759407399442

EDIT: Can we change the name of this thread to the Charlotte Checkers?

^ How many people were at the game? The lower level looked somewhat sparsely populated.

Well there is my gripe. The pics I linked were from a Wednesday night game and the place was easily half empty. Now there can be all kind of statements about a weeknight game, but I've been to a Bobcats weeknight game and the cable box is full. Also keep in mind that this was a playoff game so you really scratch your head over the half empty arena. Friday's game was much better attended with a pretty full crowd though.

I guess it bugged me a bit as the team deserves better support. The positive though is where else can you get playoff tickets for center on the ice (50/yard on the field, half court on the court) for $50/person.

Already got my on the ice tickets for the two definite round 2 playoff games in Charlotte against the Penguins next week.

I'm changing the thread title and move it to the Coffee House.

Thanks!

My reasoning for why the new team isn't getting publicity is because of the lack of a name change. While keeping the Checkers name is important, I don't think the majority of the Charlotte community realized there was a change at all. To be honest, I feel like I keep up with most happenings in Charlotte and, up until reading this thread, I had no idea we inherited a AAA team. To me the team was the same ol' Checkers we've had all along.

^I knew we got a AAA team. But that was no more motivation for me to go to the games than having an AA team. I bet a lot of people would agree with me. *If the NHL team had moved here, that would have been a different story. But for me (and maybe a lot of people), development league sports are just not a draw - especially when you have choice of pro-sports. If I were really into NHL, Raleigh is not that far of a drive. I bet AAA Checkers would have done really well in a city where it is TOO far to go see the real team.

Well, all things considered the Checkers average attendance (6,312) is higher than the AHL league average (5,380). I'd actually say they do pretty well. The AHL really appeals to the true hockey junkies and families. They've had plenty of nights this year where there were 12,000 in attendance which I'm not sure many of the other teams can say. I think the Carolina Hurricanes did the right thing in bring the team to Charlotte to help extend the fanbase. I hope the Bobcats will someday bring their D-League team to the Carolinas from Maine... perhaps Columbia, Greenville or Greensboro. It would have a similar effect.

^I knew we got a AAA team. But that was no more motivation for me to go to the games than having an AA team. I bet a lot of people would agree with me. *If the NHL team had moved here, that would have been a different story. But for me (and maybe a lot of people), development league sports are just not a draw - especially when you have choice of pro-sports. If I were really into NHL, Raleigh is not that far of a drive. I bet AAA Checkers would have done really well in a city where it is TOO far to go see the real team.

I am kinda the opposite. While I enjoy watching sports I am not enough of a rapid fan to pay the $$$ necessary to see major leaguers on a regular basis. The Checkers (and the Knights if they would just move to a reasonable location) allow me to regularly attend games, afford a beer or two (although beer prices at Checkers games are far too high) and enjoy myself. Even though I am regularly in the Triangle I have never felt the need to go see the hurricanes. Different strokes I guess....

Datapoint: In the decade plus I have lived in Charlotte I have seen 2 panthers games, 2 bobcats games, 1 hornets game, around 50 knights (and Intimidators) games and probably 100 checkers matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Final Round of the Eastern Division Playoffs begin tonight in Charlotte!

Round 1: Checkers slaughtered the Hershey Bears (Back-to-back league champions)

Round 2: Checkers Chewed up the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre Penguins

Round 3: Checkers are taking on the Binghamton Senators

And I got On-the-ice-banging-the-glass seats for both tonight and tomorrow night's game!

Final Round of the Eastern Division Playoffs begin tonight in Charlotte!

Round 1: Checkers slaughtered the Hershey Bears (Back-to-back league champions)

Round 2: Checkers Chewed up the Scranton-Wilkes-Barre Penguins

Round 3: Checkers are taking on the Binghamton Senators

And I got On-the-ice-banging-the-glass seats for both tonight and tomorrow night's game!

Lucky! Wish I could be there. Go Checkers!

Aside from the Checkers being the most successful team in Charlotte right now, here is another reason why they are such a credit to the Charlotte community.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6521100

That's a pretty amazing story. I'm glad they are a part of our community. That really should be on the local news too, it would really generate great response for the family and for the team.

There have been numerous positive stories on Bug for a good part of the season (both locally and nationally). What the Checkers have done is really great.

BTW - Shouldn't the title of this topic read "Charlotte Checkers AHL Hockey" not "AAA Hockey" ? AAA is more representative of baseball.

Checkers lost to Binghamton Senators in OT last night and exit the Playoffs. I wanted the Cup, (badly) but credit has to go to the Checkers for making it to the final Eastern Divisional Playoffs in their inaugural season as Charlotte's AHL team.

Great Team. Great Season. We'll be back!

A little tangential here, but it's being reported today that the Thrashers moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg is a done deal. Since the Flames previously moved in 1980, that makes the ATL 0 for 2 and I highly doubt they'll get a third chance at an NHL team there. I wonder if that will help open the door for an NHL team in Charlotte someday, since there will be a large geographic hockey void between Tampa Bay and Raleigh. Just a thought...one can dream.

A little tangential here, but it's being reported today that the Thrashers moving from Atlanta to Winnipeg is a done deal. Since the Flames previously moved in 1980, that makes the ATL 0 for 2 and I highly doubt they'll get a third chance at an NHL team there. I wonder if that will help open the door for an NHL team in Charlotte someday, since there will be a large geographic hockey void between Tampa Bay and Raleigh. Just a thought...one can dream.

I agree that Atlanta is done in terms of having NHL teams. That being said, I think as long as there's an NHL team in Raleigh, there will not be one in Charlotte. Part of that is in comparison, the NHL is more regional than the other sports leagues and there isn't enough population to draw from for a second team. It hasn't fared well in the south with the Hurricanes and Lightning really being the exceptions. It would be cool to have a team in Charlotte rival one in Raleigh (much like it would with the NFL and NBA in both cities), but don't see that happening. The state is fortunate to have 3 teams though, which a lot of others states would love to have.

Archived