Drive for 'Center City' retail

Urbanity

Re: Stonewall Street and Thomas Jackson and widow Anna Morrison Jackson-

http://marynewsom.blogspot.com/2006/01/stonewall-jackson-or-martin-luther.html

I've got no real issue with 2nd St being renamed MLK BLVD, but holy cow...most of the commenters to that article you shared were dead set against it back in 2006. I honestly don't remember it being that controversial. Thanks for the info by the way.

The Rumor going around is that THIS below, also developed in conjunction with Simon, is the inspiration for the project.

http://www.brickellcitycentre.com

There are two wishes I have for this project if the mall rumors are true:

A) I hope that the the mall is open air like Short Pump Town Center near Richmond rather than enclosed.  The central corridor of an open air mall could function like a pedestrian-only street, and would provide a much more pedestrian-centric, street-friendly feel for other developments on Stonewall St. that include significant street-level retail.  I just don't think an enclosed mall would have the same effect on the street.

B) I hope that this mall is a complement to Southpark, and not a substitute for Southpark.  What I mean by that is that I hope most of the stores do not overlap Southpark's stores; instead, I would like to see a litany of upscale retailers that currently do not serve Southpark such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, etc.

Edited by cltbwimob

I bet no one more than Crescent would die for a mall at the CO site.

Wonder if there is a way Crescent would support a Simon/Lincoln Harris deal?

It would be cool if there was a sky bridge between the two developments, or if they were linked underground. Aren't several of the buildings in Center City connected underground? I remember seeing a map posted here a while ago, which showed how several of the buildings in uptown were linked.

It would be cool if there was a sky bridge between the two developments, or if they were linked underground. Aren't several of the buildings in Center City connected underground? I remember seeing a map posted here a while ago, which showed how several of the buildings in uptown were linked.

No more above ground or underground gerbil tunnels please.....

• Like 2

you! Hush up! Ha hear?

lnwh.gif

• Like 1

Huh. I never knew skybridges and underground links were that frowned down upon. I was just thinking that if the Simons mall is multi-level, it would be nice to have another connection to Tryon Place other than ground level. I hope it didn't seem like I was implying that I wanted to divert pedestrians from any potential ground retail. Just to make the two developments more seamless with each other.

An uptown mall?

I don't see it happening.

SouthPark is surrounded by high-income neighborhoods and has a critical mass of retail already.

Uptown is surrounded by a mix: high-income neighborhoods and low-income ones.  It has almost zero retail to start with (the Met isn't really within walking distance for most people so it doesn't really count as uptown, although it basically is).

I don't think that going head-to-head vs. SouthPark would a good idea; SouthPark would win.  Uptown Charlotte should do retail like downtown Greenville, SC does: destination retail of chains that aren't at the mall.  The mall chains that are in downtown Greenville (Brooks Brothers, Anthropologie, etc.) are nicer than what's at its mall, and the anchor (Mast) is certainly not replicated at the mall.  Downtown Greenville seems to do very well as a retail attraction.

I am not thrilled with Simon's involvement but they are at least able to relax non-compete agreements that they have with South park retailers. No other developer could do that.

The demographics of uptown retail areare better than they appear, millennials moving to urban settings where residential space did not exist before are totally overlooked by data vendors. All comcerial RE and Retail Location professionals are making decisions using data that is strongly biased against urban transformation.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Question, particularly for members like Jayvee, RDF and others who actively engage in the development community.

How do you guys think Chris Hemans is doing as the retail director for CCP? His social media is fairly lacking and rarely do you see him mentioned in many articles. 

Obviously there (for once) seems to be momentum for retail uptown (and SouthEnd). Does he appear to be truly fostering retail uptown working with developers?

The only thing I've really seen (from an outside the loop perspective) from him is supporting Kiosk and pop up retail which I think may be a waiste a time as opposed to working with the developers.

The pop up retail has been successful. There's a LOT of momentum in south end and MAJOR retail stuff coming uptown over the next 5-10 years. So on the surface he's doing great. The real question is how much he had to do with any of it vs just natural development boom in this city. 

On another note a cool men's boutique opened above Valhalla. Awesome to see stuff like this. 

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/47171/uptown-lacks-retail-will-soon-change/

Is this a "wink wink" article? Simon was mentioned. The title says uptown lacking retail will "soon change" and it talks about a uptown landowner needing finance (which we all know Lincoln has gotten financing from Goldman)

Sounds like it matches the rumors about Simon working with Lincoln Harris pretty closely. 

• 1 month later...

A local retailer here in Richmond, Ledbury, is looking at either at Atlanta or Charlotte for their next store location.  While I do not know if they would go into downtown, I do know that they have been one of the few staples for downtown Richmond retail, and they have  more in common with our downtown retailers such as Abbeydale than the mall retailers, so it would not surprise me if they did set up shop in uptown.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2016 at 8:40 AM, cltbwimob said:

A local retailer here in Richmond, Ledbury, is looking at either at Atlanta or Charlotte for their next store location.  While I do not know if they would go into downtown, I do know that they have been one of the few staples for downtown Richmond retail, and they have  more in common with our downtown retailers such as Abbeydale than the mall retailers, so it would not surprise me if they did set up shop in uptown.

I shot them an email inviting them to open an uptown location in Charlotte. Couldn't hurt right?

Edited by jednc
In case anyone else wants to email them: [email protected]

I don't know if it's Pokemon Go or just a general uptick in visitors, but Uptown has seemed significantly more vibrant at all hours of the day recently.  I know it's not the weather!  The last few rounds I've made I've noticed significantly more people all around uptown.  Restaurants are packed and the few scattered convenience stores have had lines out the door.  How or why any restaurant in uptown is still closed on the weekends baffles me.  Jason's Deli in the Epicentre is closed while Red Eye Diner right downstairs is packed at 3pm on a Sunday.  I just don't get it.  I think the critical mass is busting at the seams.  I hope Lincoln Harris is paying attention.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

That Jason's is closed on the weekend? That's insane!

Yeah it's absolutely BONKERS its closed on weekends. I have no idea how they afford Epi rent without those 2 days. It's one of the few things not open. Fuji is closed Sunday's. Red Eye is 24/7 and apparently doing very well. 

Edited by Jayvee