Drive for 'Center City' retail

Urbanity

I stil think as a 40 something for the CBD to head towards a contain zone where one doesn't have to leave the CBD, the city needs an ABC Store. I personally have self-imposed the 400 S. Tryon up fit as that spot. My selling point would be with the amount of people that live uptown it more than warrants a "liquor store". Secondly, with the amount of apartments  about to come online and Rhino Market it all but makes sense for the ABC to allow a store. Finally, if Elkin, NC can support a ABC store, I think a population of 12-15,000 full-time residences and a day-time population reaching a 100,000 one can support a liquor store. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TimmyT68 said:

I stil think as a 40 something for the CBD to head towards a contain zone where one doesn't have to leave the CBD, the city needs an ABC Store. I personally have self-imposed the 400 S. Tryon up fit as that spot. My selling point would be with the amount of people that live uptown it more than warrants a "liquor store". Secondly, with the amount of apartments  about to come online and Rhino Market it all but makes sense for the ABC to allow a store. Finally, if Elkin, NC can support a ABC store, I think a population of 12-15,000 full-time residences and a day-time population reaching a 100,000 one can support a liquor store. 

+1 for this. Waited in line for 20+ minutes on Friday afternoon at the 3rd street ABC store. Plaza Midwood store can't come soon enough. 

Edited by Crown

• 6 months later...

There will be a huge amount of pressure on suburban commercial space as a result of an avalanche of store closings (with many more to come e.g. Sears). There is a chance that this will make uptown retail space will look much more attractive to remaining upscale retailers since it will not be surrounded by empty storefronts or a collection of marginal tenants next door.

Edited by kermit

I read that Charlotte has only 33 square feet of retail real estate per person--far lower than Boston (55 sf) and other cities, and far lower than the US average.  This surprises me, and with the relatively low retail square footage in Charlotte, I'd think that uptown would have kept its retail components, but it didn't.

I also can't figure out how Greenville, SC is snapping up one higher-end national retailer downtown after another, but Charlotte doesn't.  Charlotte, on paper, has everything necessary to do so uptown.  I'd guess people just don't go uptown for leisure, unless you're 21 years old and going out bar-hopping?

I admit that don't have any data to back this up but I blame the city (who is somewhat hamstrung by the state) for their lack of control over development. Look at the biggest plot being developed now and it's all in secret with no community involvement whatsoever. They just seem desperate for any development. 

I was disappointed to see the BA redesign has so far only been leased to chain restaurants. No doubt one's which will feature shrimp and grits along with steak. ;-)

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I read that Charlotte has only 33 square feet of retail real estate per person--far lower than Boston (55 sf) and other cities, and far lower than the US average.  This surprises me, and with the relatively low retail square footage in Charlotte, I'd think that uptown would have kept its retail components, but it didn't.

I also can't figure out how Greenville, SC is snapping up one higher-end national retailer downtown after another, but Charlotte doesn't.  Charlotte, on paper, has everything necessary to do so uptown.  I'd guess people just don't go uptown for leisure, unless you're 21 years old and going out bar-hopping?

Charlotte's problem partially stems from the fact that South Park is relatively close to Uptown. Until recently, there were less than 10,000 people living in Uptown. Even now, the population numbers for uptown aren't all that remarkable. 

Combine the low population and a nearby competitor with relatively high lease prices in an era where retail traffic is already struggling and you end up with a situation like ours. Many high end retailers are going to be hesitant to put another location in uptown out of fear that it will simply lower their sales per square foot at South Park.

I admit that don't have any data to back this up but I blame the city (who is somewhat hamstrung by the state) for their lack of control over development. Look at the biggest plot being developed now and it's all in secret with no community involvement whatsoever. They just seem desperate for any development. 
I was disappointed to see the BA redesign has so far only been leased to chain restaurants. No doubt one's which will feature shrimp and grits along with steak. ;-)

It's coming. Don't worry. You'll have places to stroll and shop soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haywood Mall in Greenville is far closer to downtown Greenville than SouthPark is to uptown Charlotte, yet a bunch of higher-end national chains have moved into downtown Greenville.

Maybe if uptown Charlotte had retail spaces along Tryon and Trade, stores would locate in them? 

And maybe if the Midtown development were more accessible to uptown (it's certainly walkable, but it takes dodging some cars and sidewalk-free portions of the route), that would help?

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

Well I found out from a source there is a concerted effort to get rid of fast food uptown because of the people they attract (hmm that would include me)  So we now have no McDonalds uptown, no Bojangles (left while back with the Iveys hotel conversion) and the Subway.   We really do need the Sabor as a cheap option on N College.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Well I found out from a source there is a concerted effort to get rid of fast food uptown because of the people they attract (hmm that would include me)  So we now have no McDonalds uptown, no Bojangles (left while back with the Iveys hotel conversion) and the Subway.   We really do need the Sabor as a cheap option on N College.

Is this the new version of "get rid of Tryon St's benches"?

• Haha 1

^^ Maybe, I do think there are too many benches on Tryon a legacy of the old transit mall where every bus in town stopped along Tryon.  Some can stay each block but there are way too many.   

Problem with homelessness will not be solved by closing a McDonalds for sure that is just why I don't see why they would push them out. 

Former French fry cook at McDonalds,  KJ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

So annoying. I like fast food every now & then. When does Sabor open and where?

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Who is in charge of this effort? 

Really bad idea, IMO. 

so where is this rumored city Target store going?  I will start the guesses here maybe Lennar's new apartment tower (the one in Chapel Hill is only 22K sq ft)  Maybe at new Northwood Ravin Stonewall tower and they along with Cousins are the landlords of the Chapel Hill store. Maybe the new Target will go to Southend at the Dimensional Funds tower which Cousins is developing?   Those are my 3 guesses am I getting warm @Nick2?

• Like 1

^^^ Yes that deck was meant to have a retail isn't there a fitness center or something in there now?  

As someone mentioned a good new location for McDonalds would be the Epicenter with a couple of vacancies they could handle it and since it is next to the main transit stop they would have plenty of customers.  (not to mention bar patrons later in the evening) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think the Lennar maybe a good spot right on that Market St lots of visibility from the 1st ward park.   Legacy is a good choice there but that space maybe be filled with some really upscale retailers who can afford to pay alot or someone like Apple. 

too small. each space is around 8,800 sq feet at Lennar. 

If Target is coming I'd think only three places work. Replacing Publix at 10 Tryon, Legacy Union, and Duke Energy Center #2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe at new Northwood Ravin Stonewall tower and they along with Cousins are the landlords of the Chapel Hill store. Maybe the new Target will go to Southend at the Dimensional Funds tower which Cousins is developing?   Those are my 3 guesses am I getting warm @Nick2?

I can't believe there would even be a chance for Target to go here. This is too close to their Midtown location. I would think you could see one store from the other.

28 minutes ago, jednc said:

I can't believe there would even be a chance for Target to go here. This is too close to their Midtown location. I would think you could see one store from the other.

This is my response to this, and Uptown has a population density 6 times that of the area these two targets are in. 

image.thumb.png.1d7d0e193bac299f8cba61d95b0f78a8.pngposne