VCOM Campus

hub-city

Yeah, I was hoping the building would be closer to the street as well. I'm also disappointed that the site is so "suburbanized" with tons of surface parking (even though all the trees are nice). There is some room near College St. for some future expansion (are they considering that?) or office space. I would have preferred a more urban design for this site. It seems like a waste of 19 acres this close to downtown. The site is only a half-mile from Morgan Square. Does the college really need all that acreage (they could build a deck for parking)? This is a situation where it would be nice to have the Master Plan approved...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine it is set back from the road because of traffic concerns. A lot of people use Magnolia, Howard, and College as cut throughs to the west side to avoid traffic through downtown and out to 29.

I went out Henry St Ext the other day in search of Greenville Branch and found it to be a gully that was way overgrown. It was hard to tell if there was any water moving or not as I did not stop to investigate. Is there a reference book at the library that would show all streams and creeks in Spartanburg?

Any topo map would show them. USGS topos are a good way to go, since they usually have historic names in tact. Greenville Branch was probably never much more than a gully, but there's definitely some water in there. In fact, if you look at the map I posted above and click the "Terrain" button, you can see the creek as a broken blue line that goes up to the Spartan Mills area. You can also see the same data on the standard road map on google (click the "map" button).

I personally hope the set back is not a "set back" which implies a mandated distance from the street. I hope that they are locating there with the intent of expanding with new buildings over time.

In an urban setting, set backs that large are unnecessary.

Yeah, I was hoping the building would be closer to the street as well. I'm also disappointed that the site is so "suburbanized" with tons of surface parking (even though all the trees are nice). There is some room near College St. for some future expansion (are they considering that?) or office space. I would have preferred a more urban design for this site. It seems like a waste of 19 acres this close to downtown. The site is only a half-mile from Morgan Square. Does the college really need all that acreage (they could build a deck for parking)? This is a situation where it would be nice to have the Master Plan approved...

While I totally agree with you I am just delighted that a brownfield site near downtown was chosen for this campus.

My hope is that someday Spartanburg County government will move from their hideous office building and that site can be redeveloped too.

While I totally agree with you I am just delighted that a brownfield site near downtown was chosen for this campus.

My hope is that someday Spartanburg County government will move from their hideous office building and that site can be redeveloped too.

I agree, especially with the bold part above. I was driving through downtown at lunch today, and I felt a lot of pride that our city has a new downtown business school going up next to the relatively new Chapman Cultural Center with yet another school - this time a medical school - being built a 1/2 mile away. I think Spartanburg's leaders have really latched onto the theme of this being a college town, and we're seeing the benefits of that now.

I agree, especially with the bold part above. I was driving through downtown at lunch today, and I felt a lot of pride that our city has a new downtown business school going up next to the relatively new Chapman Cultural Center with yet another school - this time a medical school - being built a 1/2 mile away. I think Spartanburg's leaders have really latched onto the theme of this being a college town, and we're seeing the benefits of that now.

Spartanburg's leaders have embraced a concept that I have advocated for years: creating a distinct identity for the city (in other words, trying not to emulate other places).

Like you, I feel a lot of pride right now.

I found another article on the VCOM campus that I ignored initially because I thought it was one that I already read :)

VCOM is going to partner with Wofford to use their recreational and dining facilities. I think this relationship is important for many reasons. Obviously the students will benefit, but the proximity of the two schools on College Street could lend itself to some physical changes too. The article mentions VCOM becoming a catalyst for revitalizing that neighborhood, and along those lines I think College St would be a logical location for some student housing. Maybe even some student-oriented restaurants and shops. Obviously this is a long term vision on my part.

This whole college town theme is really working well for the city.

In other news, the newest rendering of the building is slightly different, and a little less attractive. It's still a sharp looking build over all though. I'm glad that something of good architectural value is being built by someone other than George Dean Johnson.

VCOM2.jpg

VCOM.jpg

HJ Article

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been by the site lately? I was by there yesterday and a lot of grading has been done. There are also a lot of different piles of sand, dirt, and gravel. There were also a couple of pick ups and the surest sign of the beginnings of construction, red portable Bragg toilets. I didn't have a camera or otherwise I would have posted pics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went by this site yesterday and it looks like the footings are already going in. I was surprised that the building is located so low on the site and relatively close to the old smoke stack. If the building doesn't have a basement below the main 3 floors you will only be able to see 2 levels from the Howard St./ Magnolia St. area and it will make it seem very isolated in my opinion. Maybe thats what they are going for, but I would have liked to have seen it a little cozier to the old Dupree home and possibly a little more of a connected feel to downtown.

It will have 3. I'm sure the lower level is for building operations, etc. Also, my understanding is that they have room for expansion(s) over time, so the new buildings may eventually lead to something connecting the site towards the DuPre house.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The City of Spartanburg is hoping to make a deal to sell the DuPre house to VCOM. The college would probably use it for office space or administrative use.

Herald-Journal article

This is great news! I hope VCOM buys the house and restores it. It's such a beautiful house that has been sitting in disrepair for far too long.

That is great news. I wonder if they could make that house into a hospitalty type house for the campus and not just offices. The house has so much charm it would be great for banquets etc..

This is what Furman did with the Cherrydale house. they moved it onto campus and made it an alumi house for private gatherings.

I had almost written the DuPre house off. I'm just glad someone reliable will actually occupy and take care of the house. VCOM has really been good 'corporate citizen' for Spartanburg by building a high quality facility AND showing a desire to restore one of our historic, albeit out of place, houses.

If the City of Spartanburg was held accountable for code violations at the Dupre House, it would have had to have been demolished or REPAIRED (to code) ten years ago.

However, the city I suppose is exempt from it's own law while it has forced private owners of historic properties to DEMOLISH their buildings for lack of money for repairs.

Take the properties on EZELL st. for Example.

However, these property owners would have qualified for grant money now since FINALLY the Master plan has been approved!! This is due to the pushing out of the

boundaries of the CENTRAL Business District/ Corridor to include that side of Ezell St.That process only took FOUR years!!!

GOvernment can be only as good as local government, which in this scenario is ripe with hypocrisy.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few photos of the VCOM construction. Triangle Construction also has some good construction photos and a link to the live webcam.

post-24605-0-77179900-1303963065_thumb.j post-24605-0-71133300-1303963074_thumb.j

In other news, the Dupre House was sold to VCOM for $1. They'll renovate/stabilize the exterior first (keeping the architectural features intact) then renovate the interior later (no time frame). Also, Triangle Construction was awarded the contract for streetscape improvements around the VCOM (6 foot sidewalks, street trees, lighting). The cost is covered by federal funding.

Herald-Journal article

Re: DuPre House

I agree that it probably would have been torn down per city code, however, I think the double standard is worthwhile in this case. We as a city should do everything possible to save old buildings.

Re: VCOM

Thanks for the pics. That building is coming a long nicely. I can't wait to see the final product.

Archived