COMPLETED: Main and Temple Development (Sage-Allen Project)

Cotuit

Congrats on your new business! OK, all UP members have to drink only JoJo's coffee or you're banned! :angry:

Kidding. :)

:angry:

Hmmm...

It would be a long commute to get my morning coffee (From Tampa). I'll try JoJo's when I visit in a few month's, but until then, I'll drink my Sumatra Coffee Co. coffee. (Sumatra coffee is a local coffee shop with Wi-Fi access, I'm in there at 6 am biking from my house (1 mile) and sit down and read the tampa paper -- still 25 cents. A nice way to start the day.

Anyway, JoJo's, hope you'll do good!

Jim

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your new business! OK, all UP members have to drink only JoJo's coffee or you're banned! :angry:

Kidding. :)

:angry:

Hmmm...

It would be a long commute to get my morning coffee (From Tampa). I'll try JoJo's when I visit in a few month's, but until then, I'll drink my Sumatra Coffee Co. coffee. (Sumatra coffee is a local coffee shop with Wi-Fi access, I'm in there at 6 am biking from my house (1 mile) and sit down and read the tampa paper -- still 25 cents. A nice way to start the day.

Anyway, JoJo's, hope you'll do good!

Jim

I don't think he's kidding. You best forego this Sumatra Coffee nonsense and bike up to Hartford for your morning fixes.

• 1 month later...

I had lunch yesterday at Spris and walked by this project with a friend of mine who is an out of town building contractor. He asked what was going on at the Sage Allen site and I told him the whole story. We walked over for a closer look on the Market St/Temple St. side and he was absolutely appalled at the shoddy construction of this project. Wood frame construction, particle board, 2x4 construction and windows so small, he questioned if they were up to code or not. He was amazed at how cheaply these units were being built for a downtown setting. I guess that's what a project almost entirely subsidized by the public along with developers from the old boys club of Hartford gets you.

I hate to be negative, but of all the projects in the last couple of years, I am least impressed with this one. Why is no one holding these guys accountable? The renderings we were shown are a far cry from what is being built. Getting an opinion like this from an industry professional just reinforces my thinking.

You can pretty much throw away any rendering that is done for any project. The renderings are done by Architects who have a grand vision that never quite fits within the actual construction project budget. Whether it be landscaping, a chnage in material, etc you almost never see the same structure built as in the rendering. The rendering is usually done prior to any Construction Documents even being completed.

As far as the quality of work, I can't speak for it being in the Boston area and not seeing the project myself.

I had lunch yesterday at Spris and walked by this project with a friend of mine who is an out of town building contractor. He asked what was going on at the Sage Allen site and I told him the whole story. We walked over for a closer look on the Market St/Temple St. side and he was absolutely appalled at the shoddy construction of this project. Wood frame construction, particle board, 2x4 construction and windows so small, he questioned if they were up to code or not. He was amazed at how cheaply these units were being built for a downtown setting. I guess that's what a project almost entirely subsidized by the public along with developers from the old boys club of Hartford gets you.

I hate to be negative, but of all the projects in the last couple of years, I am least impressed with this one. Why is no one holding these guys accountable? The renderings we were shown are a far cry from what is being built. Getting an opinion like this from an industry professional just reinforces my thinking.

I understand that everyone is sad that corners are being cut from Sage Allen but I'd rather corners be cut than not have it at all. The building looks very nice to me and while it isn't as stunning as the renderings, it is still a very beautiful building. Not to mention, the project involves hundreds of seniors from the University of Hartford living downtown, going to restaurants, and drinking in bars. Add to that, the re-opening of Temple St, which to me is more exciting than anything else, and you'll realize how great this project really is. I walked by the site recently and I honestly don't see any "shoddy" construction work in the first place. I mean, it isn't being built with marble and stone but it is a still a very nice brick building.

• 4 weeks later...

Walked by this project on Market St. today and the siding material is being put on. They are not using red brick like the renderings show for the townhouses. Instead, they are using green wood siding with white wood trim. It looks more like a suburban condo complex than urban townhouses. I thought they were going to at least use brick.

Walked by this project on Market St. today and the siding material is being put on. They are not using red brick like the renderings show for the townhouses. Instead, they are using green wood siding with white wood trim. It looks more like a suburban condo complex than urban townhouses. I thought they were going to at least use brick.

At least they are building something that will bring people to Hartford. Let's save our criticism for:

1. 111 Pearl

2. Summit/Clarion Hotel

3. Corner of Main/Asylum/Pratt

4. 38 & 50 Elm

5. the Butt Ugly Building

6. the Capitol Building on Asylum

Sorry, the guy is a schiester. How many projects has he trumpeted and not delivered? Renaissance Place was his, wasn't it? The Capewell? Then he displays this awesome looking building and dumbs it down to the point where it's literally a shadow of what it was, with HEAVY subsidies. Sorry, this project is sh1t....

Sorry, the guy is a schiester. How many projects has he trumpeted and not delivered? Renaissance Place was his, wasn't it? The Capewell? Then he displays this awesome looking building and dumbs it down to the point where it's literally a shadow of what it was, with HEAVY subsidies. Sorry, this project is sh1t....

Archived