COMPLETED: Main and Temple Development (Sage-Allen Project)

Cotuit

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the same, but more than likely, most of the people who will consider living there have never seen the original rendering and won't even know what they're missing. I'm still happy that they did something with it and that Temple St. will re-open.

On an aside, does anyone else think that having 2 Quiznos Downtown is a bit overkill? It's good to have new stores, but how about some variety?

On an aside, does anyone else think that having 2 Quiznos Downtown is a bit overkill? It's good to have new stores, but how about some variety?

And only one starbucks... If you don't count the convention center..

Although I have seen steady lines at the Trumbull on the Park Quiznos and they did do a nice job on it, it looks great, hopefully that wine shop and restaurant open soon.

But we have 5 Dunkin' Donuts :rofl: ... if you don't count those in gas stations

Don't even get me started on the friggin Dunkin Donuts. I mean really what the hell? How many do we need? The sad part is it's a franchise, so some guy says hey that Dunkin Donuts is doing well, I should put one around the corner. Why can't these entreprenuers get a little bit more creative and take risk on something not already in the area.

The sad thing is that any of the 5 Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks downtown have a line. But go to a small independant coffee shop like Jojo's (who grind and brew their own coffee that blows away D&D) or Dolce Vita and they get half the traffic.

Not all of them are doing bad, La Paloma seems to be pretty full whenever I go there, I've noticed more and more people passing up the gas station D&D... I think Jojo's has potential but the building needs work (interior and exterior).

We have like 9,000 Subways in Providence, is it like that there too? They're like roaches, you can't get rid of them.

But we have 5 Dunkin' Donuts :rofl: ... if you don't count those in gas stations

How do you live with only 5 Dunks?

We have like 9,000 Subways in Providence, is it like that there too? They're like roaches, you can't get rid of them.

How do you live with only 5 Dunks?

I think that's 5 downtown alone. There's 2 on Main, 1 on Asylum, 1 on TrumbullI don't even think we are counting the ones in the neighborhoods. I would guess there are at least 15 to 20 in Hartford. We actually don't have an excessive amount of Subways, but we have quite a few. We have at least 4 Quiznos in the city alone now though, with more to follow I'm sure.

The sad thing is that any of the 5 Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks downtown have a line. But go to a small independant coffee shop like Jojo's (who grind and brew their own coffee that blows away D&D) or Dolce Vita and they get half the traffic.

Not all of them are doing bad, La Paloma seems to be pretty full whenever I go there, I've noticed more and more people passing up the gas station D&D... I think Jojo's has potential but the building needs work (interior and exterior).

Why thank you guys. As a new business in downtown Hartford Jojo is doing OK. Obviously we would like to be as busy as DD and Starbucks, but it proves there is retail money to be made in Hartford. If they have a line and we don't it's most likely because they are doing something better than we are, be it better products, better service, better name recognition or better location, we just have to figure out how to tap into those customers.

Jojo's Coffee Roasting Company, aka JCRC

Why thank you guys. As a new business in downtown Hartford Jojo is doing OK. Obviously we would like to be as busy as DD and Starbucks, but it proves there is retail money to be made in Hartford. If they have a line and we don't it's most likely because they are doing something better than we are, be it better products, better service, better name recognition or better location, we just have to figure out how to tap into those customers.

Hot waitresses with bikinis.... oops, did I say that outloud?

They do nothing better than you... the big chains only have name recognition built through big dollars. The coffee is mediocre and the service is horrible. And they don't give the cool little designs in the milk of your cappucino or macchiato! ;)

^^Nope, we are across the street from the huge Irish Pub that is under construction. By the way that place is beautiful, and its opening soon in May. Where Pumpkins used to be is Cugino's.

OK. no more shameless self promotion. Back to talk about Hartford.

• 4 weeks later...

I drove by the Sage Allen site yesterday morning - it was my first time back in Hartford since Christmas, and I have to say it looks much better in person than it does in photos (the photos don't capture the individual bricks for instance). I'm a little more optimistic now that I've seen it first hand.

Unfortunately, I was only in town for a couple hours and didn't have my camera w/ me (as I would have liked to take some close-up shots to showcase the bricks), but I'm planning another trip to Hartford in the coming weeks amd I will take some pictures.

I drove by the Sage Allen site yesterday morning - it was my first time back in Hartford since Christmas, and I have to say it looks much better in person than it does in photos (the photos don't capture the individual bricks for instance). I'm a little more optimistic now that I've seen it first hand.

Unfortunately, I was only in town for a couple hours and didn't have my camera w/ me (as I would have liked to take some close-up shots to showcase the bricks), but I'm planning another trip to Hartford in the coming weeks amd I will take some pictures.

I told you guys it wasn't THAT bad. Everyone was acting like the world was ending. It is still an EXPONENTIAL improvement over what was there and the construction efforts of past generations.

I agree SOCOM. I was actually going to say the same thing. I walked by last Friday and it really does look a lot better in person. Tycoon's point is also well taken. It's nowhere near the quality of the preliminary pictures, but we were able to restore a historically significant building into a mixed-use structure that enhanses the streetscape and increases feet on the street. Now that developers see it can be done, there will be more competition over similar projects and we can (and should) hold them to higher design standards.

I agree SOCOM. I was actually going to say the same thing. I walked by last Friday and it really does look a lot better in person. Tycoon's point is also well taken. It's nowhere near the quality of the preliminary pictures, but we were able to restore a historically significant building into a mixed-use structure that enhanses the streetscape and increases feet on the street. Now that developers see it can be done, there will be more competition over similar projects and we can (and should) hold them to higher design standards.

Exactly, while we would like for them to put the best foot forward, it may not have been the time in an untested market to go out on a limb and risk it. They played it safe. I think the next wave of development will be less restrained and much more aggressive and ambitious in scope.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if this thing is still on track? Something tells me the "Fall 2006" banner is wrong. I know Uhart students are supposed to move in to the rear of the building in January though.

They will miss the November date that they were hoping for. UHart portion is on track for January.

Archived