Proposed: Reynolds North and South Plant Redevelopment

TBurban

Oddly not one article concerning the cleanup of this site has been published in the Richmond TD.   By site this means both sides of the river.  If the  developers think they got a "clean" site they are very wrong.    South Plant was there a long time and in the beginning things were a bit dirty same can be said for the North Plant.    Hopefully someone outside of the corrupt city/developer circle will insist the sites' chemical composition be published.   Anyone buying or renting something better like the smell of oil and if one wants to know why just ask the plant that worked at the adjecant paint company.    This is a greenfield project and buyer beware.

Hey, as long as it gets cleaned up and developed, I could care less about how many chemicals are soaking there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but a friend's father who worked at Reynolds in an environmental role said he was shocked that they would want to put residential there due to the environmental. I'm sure there will be a clean-up/remediation required, but it sounds like there was some nasty stuff there over the years.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm just being greedy but I wouldn't mind seeing a little extra height in those buildings :P

Edit: and maybe a little more than just some surface parking lots

for Christ's sake this is the riverfront we don't need more of this.

The architecture is uninspired. They didn't restore the street grid (5th & 6th Streets). Hull St. side looks more like suburban Broad St. than downtown Broad St. It's all pedestrian unfriendly and car oriented. If they're targeting people working downtown, why not do something to improve or promote the transit options - it's on the 63, 63, 67 and 74 bus routes that all go right downtown. And the only connection to the river is a tiny future connection to the Floodwall.

The architecture is uninspired. They didn't restore the street grid (5th & 6th Streets). Hull St. side looks more like suburban Broad St. than downtown Broad St. It's all pedestrian unfriendly and car oriented. If they're targeting people working downtown, why not do something to improve or promote the transit options - it's on the 63, 63, 67 and 74 bus routes that all go right downtown. And the only connection to the river is a tiny future connection to the Floodwall.

At this point, we're out of the phase of where be build classical First National-like skyscrapers or Modernist gems like the Fed.

In today's world it's all glass.....all the time  :yawn:

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Happy Labor Day everyone.

Thalhimer is beginning phase 1 of Reynolds South, which will involve conversion of three industrial buildings into 218 apartments and office space.

The more exciting thing the article has to note is that after phase 1 completes by spring of next year, Thalhimer will begin work for phase 2, a 10 story residential tower, and after that, phase 3: a 13 story office building.

http://richmondbizsense.com/2015/09/07/developments-manchester-transformation-underway/

This is really nice. My gripe with Manchester over the past few years is that for the most part, only residential structures have been built there. There is still the notion that Manchester is isolated from the rest of Richmond because of the lack of retail options for its local residents. Get a Kroger, Farm Fresh, hell even a Food Lion there and you have a catalyst for further retail development, and then Manchester will be REALLY booming.

This is really nice. My gripe with Manchester over the past few years is that for the most part, only residential structures have been built there. There is still the notion that Manchester is isolated from the rest of Richmond because of the lack of retail options for its local residents. Get a Kroger, Farm Fresh, hell even a Food Lion there and you have a catalyst for further retail development, and then Manchester will be REALLY booming.

That was another highlight in the article.  The same developer is adding retail including a grocery store (with surface parking lot...EH...).  Still, as stated, it will be a catalyst for more to come.  

• 6 months later...

FWIW, Thalhimer has updated their marketing flyer for 'The Shoppes at City View' (pdf) with a March 2018 occupancy for the 13-story, 250-unit residential tower. Looks like an announcement for groundbreaking might be just around the corner! I wonder what the status is of the proposed pair of 16-story towers along the canal? Manchester could have quite the skyline in the works.

1 hour ago, TBurban said:

FWIW, Thalhimer has updated their marketing flyer for 'The Shoppes at City View' (pdf) with a March 2018 occupancy for the 13-story, 250-unit residential tower. Looks like an announcement for groundbreaking might be just around the corner! I wonder what the status is of the proposed pair of 16-story towers along the canal? Manchester could have quite the skyline in the works.

While I like this development (especially the high rise and retail components), I really dislike the plethora of surface parking.  Hopefully, the developers can conceal it or reduce the number of spaces.  Manchester has the potential to be Richmond's Brooklyn, but a sea of parking would seriously hinder that -- not to mention damage the urban vibe of the neighborhood.

37 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

While I like this development (especially the high rise and retail components), I really dislike the plethora of surface parking.  Hopefully, the developers can conceal it or reduce the number of spaces.  Manchester has the potential to be Richmond's Brooklyn, but a sea of parking would seriously hinder that -- not to mention damage the urban vibe of the neighborhood.

Also of note, they mention 200 units on the Northwood Ravin property North of Belle Summit.  Disappointingly I still do not see anything on Northwood Ravin's website or GIS.

EDIT: Never-mind, I forgot that this property keeps going back up for sale so they must be using some old data.

Capture2.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Just now, hikendesign said:

great news - can't remember the scale of this, is it one of these two, the one on the left?  That looks to be about 12-14 stories.....

Reynolds.jpg

The one on the left is it!  To me it looks just like the Terraces at Manchester. Either way it should be another tower crane in the sky...only this time on the south side. 

I just can't get excited about this project. The design should have been rejected by the city, it doesn't belong. The surrounding surface parking is terrible and they didn't even try to make it look urban. It doesn't help Manchester become anything but where people live to commute to other parts of the city. I still think that area has potential but its loosing it with projects like this, and truthfully the other nicer high rise that went up a year or so ago. While its great to get more living space in the city I don't really see this project as progression.  

I can definitely agree with you on a lot of the issues with this build. I'm not a fan of the parking, the above ground structured parking instead of store fronts, the overall look of the building to me is a little urban-sprawl-y. But at the same time there are some positives, more people/tax dollars in the city, more people means more retail is likely, there's a ripple effect. So, I'm not thrilled with this project design but I'm happy with what it might bring later on down the road.

Archived