Proposed: Reynolds North and South Plant Redevelopment

TBurban

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm overall disappointed with the redevelopment of the Reynolds South Plant. I wish the design and master planning was a bit bolder. However, I am optimistic that the developer will be able to deliver on the retail/grocer front which will be huge for the neighborhood's livability.  

By the way, not sure if anyone else is noticing, but this will basically be identical to the Terraces at Manchester project with a slightly modified pre-fabricated facade. Same contractor, same layout, etc. Will it be weird to have the same building in two places in the Manchester skyline?

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

The church vibe is funny. I also never noticed that before either.  Anyway, it may look like the Terraces, but this rendering shows that it will be taller than the Terraces at 12 stories rather than the Terraces 10 stories. 

Terraces started at twelve as well, so we will see.  In fact, we seem to really like cutting down to ten, such as Riverside on the James (the condo portion cut off more decorative top four stories).

Just now, wrldcoupe4 said:

The marketing materials don't indicate 12 stories (see page 3):

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/ReynoldsSouth-Office.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same building with different exterior pre-fab panels.

Dang it!  What do we have to do to get something more significant than 10 stories in Manchester!?!?:angry: The original rendering is misleading.  I swear I counted 12 floors. 

I realize that many on this board are disappointed with this project, I am taking a different view.  Twenty years ago, Manchester was basically a slum and the James a major barrier.  A high rise luxury building there testifies that those are distant memories.  As each new project garners success, it serves as a justification for bigger and better development.  As more residents with disposable income arrive, they will attract more.  So, while I join the group in criticizing the flaws of the project, especially the plethora of surface parking, I am happy that it is being built and am glad that the developers took such a bold step.  In another twenty years, Manchester could realistically resemble Brooklyn.

32 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Whoomp there it is...

Reynolds_South_Apts_Camera_1_March__1_2017_10_30am.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic!

Something I noticed different this time from Terraces in the background is that the tower crane is being installed at the back of the building rather than the front, which was done when Terraces was built. I wonder why the change?  Hmmmmmm

19 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

The marketing materials don't indicate 12 stories (see page 3):

https://www.thalhimer.com/sites/default/files/listings_files/ReynoldsSouth-Office.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's basically the same building with different exterior pre-fab panels.

I read 3 parking levels and 10 residential.  Given the similar design to Manchester, that would mean 13 floors.

Also was glad to see the mobile crane out my window this morning and was hoping it was for a tower crane.  Lighting was rough this morning so no picture but from Tobacco Row I can see the second Dominion crane towering over the James center and the shorter one in the Cary St. gap.

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I read 3 parking levels and 10 residential.  Given the similar design to Manchester, that would mean 13 floors.

Also was glad to see the mobile crane out my window this morning and was hoping it was for a tower crane.  Lighting was rough this morning so no picture but from Tobacco Row I can see the second Dominion crane towering over the James center and the shorter one in the Cary St. gap.

Snap some photos when you get the chance and post them here. Would love to see the cranes in the skyline from a different perspective.  

I thought it was 12-13 floors too...glad I'm not the only crazy one (he he).  Then again, they probably didn't advertise the floor count so that they can go 10 total floors and call it good. We shall see what happens!

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for posting the pic!

Something I noticed different this time from Terraces in the background is that the tower crane is being installed at the back of the building rather than the front, which was done when Terraces was built. I wonder why the change?  Hmmmmmm

Unloading of materials.  Plenty of space on the backside. 

On 3/1/2017 at 10:51 AM, Wahoo 07 said:

I realize that many on this board are disappointed with this project, I am taking a different view.  Twenty years ago, Manchester was basically a slum and the James a major barrier.  A high rise luxury building there testifies that those are distant memories.  As each new project garners success, it serves as a justification for bigger and better development.  As more residents with disposable income arrive, they will attract more.  So, while I join the group in criticizing the flaws of the project, especially the plethora of surface parking, I am happy that it is being built and am glad that the developers took such a bold step.  In another twenty years, Manchester could realistically resemble Brooklyn.

So I guess the reason I don't like the project is because I think its projects like these that will stop Manchester from becoming a neighborhood like Brooklyn, not help it. This type of project doesn't promote good walkable urban environments and doesn't encourage people to come to the area. So what it will create is a neighborhood of urban commuters that live in Manchester but go to other areas of the city to work and play. More people is always good, but I don't see this project as good for Manchester specifically, maybe the city as a whole but not the neighborhood.

This project is in keeping with most mid rise apartment/condo buildings at the end of a street.  I'd understand the complaints about this building if it was located mid-block,  in the middle of the neighborhood. Brooklyn is loaded with condos like this along the East River (and in Toronto, Miami, Seattle, Washington DC etc). 

I haven't seen any renderings showing the sides and back specifically but based on these drawings it appears that they do continue the street grid (no surface parking, no setbacks) and will consider human scale in the finishes (not just an open parking garage for example). To me, that's where it matters at this specific location. Streets typically get weird close to rail yards and rivers (and flood walls).  This location is no different (and the existing factories are a bit funky with regards to how they meet these boundaries). 

I don't understand how this all happened without informing the public or without anyone really knowing? I mean, how did this happen? Who approved this? This building really sucks for such a prominent position in the city along the river. The rendering is garbage too, it looks like a high school intern threw that together... ugh this is frustrating

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

The magic ten strikes again!

Where is the parking?  It looks like they kept the amount of apartment floors but dropped the 3 parking levels for surface lots?

porterStreet-rendering.jpg

Perhaps it's all surface parking, which would be a huge travesty!

16 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

It looks like one of the "panelized" buildings that are all pre-fabricated and put together like a puzzle.  Mid-rise hotels do this, the Residence Inn by Marriott downtown did this, the finishes are stamped into the panels and then are all lifted into position and bolted together, yummm.  It looks like that could be this type of construction?

To me it looks like someone made it in Google Sketch-up and did not turnoff the edges.  This does not look like a final rendering.

For example, here is an unfinished design I did in Sketch-up for the same site in 2011 for fun (part of a baseball stadium district):

Reynolds South Condos.jpg

Archived