Spartan

Renaissance Park Projects & Developments

Was there any discussion about extending Converse Street back to Daniel Morgan?  With the apartments on one side and potential home sites on the other, it seems logical.

14 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Okay, I've got the presentation from the DRB meeting, so I've looked over it more.  If you have any questions, I can probably answer them.  First, here's the site plan.  It's a bit hard to tell, but I think there's parallel parking on Liberty and Silver Hill.  The sidewalks are planned to be quite wide to accommodate bikes & pedestrians (functioning as part of the Rail Trail extension, essentially).

1265577032_RenParkAptssiteplan.JPG.11d8c9504cd987d6be7075255510fedd.JPG

I think overall it a huge improvement over the old site plan, and it will add a lot to downtown. I'm less concerned about the specific architecture. Even the most well-designed residential buildings all sort of look the same when you start adding balconies.

Is the red area an internal sidewalk?

• Like 2

I like the design, I like that the parking is on the back side of the buildings. I'd hope they'd put some commercial on the ground level, make it truly a walkable area. But oh well I guess. 

This particular site definitely has its challenges and this apartment complex will certainly help.  I wonder if there plans in the works to improve the appearance of Daniel Morgan Avenue?

Edited by roads-scholar
Did not finish comment
  • Like 1

@Spartan Yes, the red is an internal sidewalk.  It's intended as the primary pedestrian corridor for residents.

@Spartanburg Guy I think the apartments would probably start early next year (assuming approvals proceed on-schedule).  Their development agreement with the City requires the apartments to be completed by/in 2020, I believe.

This H-J article gives a few more details about the planned projects in this area.  Particularly noteworthy is that the office building is planned to start in (early?) 2019 and be completed late-2019/early-2020.  They hope to have road work (realigning Silver Hill) started late this year.  IMO, the schedule hinges on finding an anchor tenant.  Hope they get one (or more) locked in soon.

• Thanks 1

I heard from that project manager at the Montgomery building tour I had last week that this whole project is on hold because they cannot get the permits approved by DHEC/EPA because this land was once used as a dumping ground many years ago and is still polluted.

I can remember way back before Vic Bailey was down on the corner and the Chevy place was where the Marriot now is now, all in between was low income housing. My Dad said they used to dump everything into a pit between Dean St & Liberty St.

^that area was called the Gas Bottom (or something to that effect) for a reason.

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

^that area was called the Gas Bottom (or something to that effect) for a reason.

"Gas Bottom" is where the local gas works operated  and, from what I've been told, located in the North Pine / Daniel Morgan Avenue area.  The local works was the gas supplier for commercial and residential lighting.   

My dad worked at the Chevy dealership (where the Marriott is now located) and I remember several industrial buildings, warehouses, and even an ice house along Daniel Morgan as the the street sloped downward toward Liberty Street.  There was also a railroad spur that crossed Daniel Morgan  which served this area.  Back then Daniel Morgan Avenue was "Charles Street". 

It wouldn't surprise me if dumping of waste and chemicals occurred there. 

Edited by roads-scholar

Saw this new sign at the corner of Converse and Silver Hill for the single family housing project discussed earlier in this thread and brought before City Council a few months ago.  It shows 18 detached homes and 10 townhouse/duplex units.  All garages are accessed by alleys, which is great.

IMG_1551.thumb.JPG.fdfb0ff1e650fcaf27d8a549769a3977.JPG

IMG_1552.thumb.JPG.378aeea9f738a214887672a4c56ab257.JPG

EDIT: Here's a link to The Terranova Group website.  Most of their homes look terrible; hope these will be better...

Edited by westsider28

I'm hopeful that the code will require decent materials. FWIW if it's not vinyl or EFIS I'll consider it a win.