Renaissance Park Projects & Developments

Spartan

From what I understand, DPZ is the firm responsible the actual New Urbanist brand. I just think that the architecture used in New Urbanist projects can be too conservative, and even a tad bit boring, at times; I've not yet seen the firm incorporate contemporary architecture into their projects.

That a major point of new urbanism though- you build things that fit in with the local architcetural styles. I would expect to see influences from: textile mills, mill houses, late 19th/early20th century housing (queen anne, victorian, etc) and commercial structures, and with a few more modern items tastefully thrown in to pay respect to the more modern aspects of downtown.

The designs from Bull St in Columbia are exactly what I mean. I think that it needs to be familiar in order for people to accept it.

The designs from Bull St in Columbia are exactly what I mean. I think that it needs to be familiar in order for people to accept it.

And that's their reasoning. I can't say that I blame them, but I've not yet seen lots of people protest over something contemporary just because it's contemporary. Even Charleston has modern architecture, yet it blends in with the historic structures. But Spartanburg could definitely use something with a nice contemporary flair at that site, something that says that it is a city of the future.

I don't want to see the mistakes of the past come to life again. Spartanburg has always embraced the contemporary architectural styles, and it has had to live with those mistakes- namely razing most of the core of the city in the naem of progress. Fortunately the damage has been done to this site, so its really an issue of what to do next. I want to see an urban village that we can be proud of, and one that everyone will want to live in. I am not convinced that modern architecture is the way to do it. Contemporary residential architecture looks nice, but even that is not glass and steel unless its a highrise. Maybe we just have different visions here, or we aren't communitcating well. I don't want any skyscrapers on this site. It needs to be low to midrise buildings, perhaps a highrise ot two on St John Street.

The Bull St project in Columbia is the the type of density that I want to see here, and the type of architecture as well.

I would definitely prefer to see that site contain a dense, low-to-midrise development as well. You're right about glass and steel being materials mostly used for highrises, but I would still prefer to see such a development have a modern flair (think Gateway Village in uptown Charlotte on a small scale). NU architecture just seems cheap to me for some reason.

I diagree. I think New Urbanist architecture is generally quite attractive. Gateway is a nice example of what you are saying though. I can see som elements of that in Spartanburg. I just don't want something that is going to look like crap in 20 years. As long as its quality, I will be satisfied.

• 4 weeks later...

Spartanburg is ranked No. 48 by "Cities Ranked and Rated" by Bert Sperling. We are the highest ranking city in South Carolina, and the only one in the top 50.. This is the first time we have been ranked separate from Greenville and Anderson. (GSA was ranked 80 last year).

Rankings were based on tons of criteria including: population, economy, cost of living, climate, education, healthcare, crime, transportation, leisure, arts & culture and quality of life. Things like "white-collar vs. blue-collar jobs, the number of annual days below zero degrees Fahrenheit, the cost for an average doctor visit and even the number of Starbucks" were included according to the HJ.

I'm assuming the low cost of living, high quality of life, great climate, and transportation are what put us above the rest.

Other SC cities:

• 94. Greenville
  • 110. Columbia
  • 174. Charleston/N. Charleston
  • 327. Anderson
  • 359. Florence
  • 363. Sumter

Article

• 3 months later...

USC Upstate is considering building a new business and economics school downtown in Renaissance Park. It would be between the CCC and Montgomery building and face St. John. No architectual plans are drawn yet, but USC Upstate has until Dec. 1 to present the idea to Dr. Sorensen to be considered by the board.

Lots of other details in the article from the HJ so CHECK it out and give some feedback.

Edited by hub-city

USC Upstate is considering building a new business and economics school downtown in Renaissance Park. It would be between the CCC and Montgomery building and face St. John. No architectual plans are drawn yet, but USC Upstate has until Dec. 1 to present the idea to Dr. Sorensen to be considered by the board.

Lots of other details in the article from the HJ so CHECK it out and give some feedback.

This project, if it comes to pass, could potentially have a huge impact on downtown, particularly the Renaissance Park site.

This is fantastic news. The impacts could be significant. Any thoughts on what those could be?

I hope that the presence of this school downtown would lead more businesses to downtown to create a denser employment base. We haven't seen any new medium or large companies locate downtown recently, though there are a number of expansions and relocations (especially with banks) happening.

I'm sure that President Sorensen will see the positive implications that this would have for the USC system as a leader for economic development outside of Columbia and how it fits into USC Upstate's goals to offer MBA degrees. You need only look at the Moore School of Business, which has a location in Uptown Charlotte for its Professional MBA Program. That program is slightly different in scope, but still a precedent for this type of thing. You also have Clemson investing in a location in downtown Greenville. I think that this could easily happen for us.

The paper didn't specify. I assume that it would be a small chunk of the over all property (which is something like 9 acres) that faces St John St. I doubt that this facility would include dorms. They need to have more at the USCS campus though. It sounds like it would be some sort of extension campus.

Wow, about 400 students would be at the downtown location. Thats more than I thought it would be.

I think this quote says it all: "At least 400 business students will flood downtown every day, each of them prime candidates to work at local businesses, or, perhaps, to someday start their own businesses in the city. City leaders say students and faculty will frequent local businesses downtown and at Renaissance Park, and new housing might pop up to serve students and faculty who want to be close to school."

There is a good article in the GSA Business Journal about that talks about the various happenings around the Renaissance Park site including:

- Chapman Cultural Center

- USC Upstate School of Business & Economics

- Marriott property update

The info on the Marriott was news to me. That whole process is still a mess, but it looks like the bankruptcy proceedings will go through, and the new owner will straighten things out. I'll be glad when that mess is over with.

There wasn't really any other new info for anyone who reads UP regularly :) There was however, some interesting speculation on what the impacts of the Cultural Center and the School of Business would be on the area by Dr. Darrell Parker, dean of the USC Upstate School of Business and Economics, and Perry Mixter, president of the Arts Partnership of Greater Spartanburg (and UrbanPlanet member). They both speculate the these new buildings will generate new development- particularly restaurant and retail- in the area.