Jump to content
Spartan

Renaissance Park Projects & Developments

Recommended Posts

Update from this week.  Silverhill Street building is fully framed and windows are going in.  Liberty Street building has another stair tower going up near Daniel Morgan Ave and framing is up for the basement half-floor.

IMG_20210106_163919062.thumb.jpg.68b14f9453c5b79c39d7a12602c1dc21.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new hotel will go before the DRB for preliminary approval at their Feb. 2 meeting.  This is the "Montgomery courtyard" parcel between the Montgomery Building and The George along Saint John Street, backing up to the parking deck (see below).  The developer is Hawkeye Hotels of Iowa, and the architect is Dynamik Design of Atlanta.  Looks like both have done many solid urban projects.

Excited about this.  I thought there was a chance for a downtown hotel to be announced this year, because COVID should be over by the time it would open (~2 years from now, probably).  I'm much more confident in this one happening, because this looks to be a large and experienced developer.  Can't wait to see the plan/design.

1803264864_Montgomerycourtyardsite.thumb.jpg.243b2720bccc2498bda25c8e99d0b682.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, westsider28 said:

A new hotel will go before the DRB for preliminary approval at their Feb. 2 meeting.  This is the "Montgomery courtyard" parcel between the Montgomery Building and The George along Saint John Street, backing up to the parking deck (see below).  The developer is Hawkeye Hotels of Iowa, and the architect is Dynamik Design of Atlanta.  Looks like both have done many solid urban projects.

Excited about this.  I thought there was a chance for a downtown hotel to be announced this year, because COVID should be over by the time it would open (~2 years from now, probably).  I'm much more confident in this one happening, because this looks to be a large and experienced developer.  Can't wait to see the plan/design.

1803264864_Montgomerycourtyardsite.thumb.jpg.243b2720bccc2498bda25c8e99d0b682.jpg

I'd love to see a nice Marriott Courtyard or Spring Hill Suites in this location.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

I'd love to see a nice Marriott Courtyard or Spring Hill Suites in this location.  

I'd prefer a non-Marriott brand just for variety, but those would be solid.  Particularly a suites hotel would cover a different market segment than our current hotels.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I'd prefer a non-Marriott brand just for variety, but those would be solid.  Particularly a suites hotel would cover a different market segment than our current hotels.

A Hilton brand would be nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The location sucks. Why would you want to hide the building (you will not see it behind the MB) when you have a space right across the street.

Tbh those three motels downtown. I know one is the college inn and the other two are close by needs to be torn down..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darelle said:

The location sucks. Why would you want to hide the building (you will not see it behind the MB) when you have a space right across the street.

Tbh those three motels downtown. I know one is the college inn and the other two are close by needs to be torn down..

St. John Street is a major downtown corridor.  The George beings in a lot of out-of-town visitors.  Once the pandemic ends, the CCC will generate demand for visitors.  The parking deck solves any parking challenges. 

I say its a good location.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what you are saying, but you have a plot of land next door. To be honest that plot of land needs development. It's becoming an eyesore the more we develop downtown. 

I would love to see another hotel by the AC hotel. Same height maybe more modern in design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darelle said:

I see what you are saying, but you have a plot of land next door. To be honest that plot of land needs development. It's becoming an eyesore the more we develop downtown. 

I would love to see another hotel by the AC hotel. Same height maybe more modern in design

That corner does need to be developed, but the site wasn't on the market, whereas this one was.

5 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

St. John Street is a major downtown corridor.  The George beings in a lot of out-of-town visitors.  Once the pandemic ends, the CCC will generate demand for visitors.  The parking deck solves any parking challenges. 

I say its a good location.  

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2021 at 5:20 PM, roads-scholar said:

I'd love to see a nice Marriott Courtyard or Spring Hill Suites in this location.  

I think Spring Hill or Hampton would do well, but I think having a Hilton brand to offset the Marriott's already there would give the nod to Hampton Inn. Hoping this one

get built! Exciting news.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I agree the corner lot needs to be developed. But from a developers perspective I could see where the lot adjacent to the parking deck is more attractive.

Parking is a huge problem for that corner lot if its going to be anything more dense than 2-4 stories.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, westsider28 said:

One week later, the second floor framing is up.  They're really moving now.

IMG_4426.thumb.JPG.68c8d282061c114f4cb82c9dbeba7773.JPG

Really excited about this project. Just sorry that there is not a commercial component. I know that at the moment, there's not a huge demand on commercial, but looking forward, it would be great if there were shops and cafes etc... there.  Really make it a walking area. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Really excited about this project. Just sorry that there is not a commercial component. I know that at the moment, there's not a huge demand on commercial, but looking forward, it would be great if there were shops and cafes etc... there.  Really make it a walking area. 

Agreed, but luckily there are 3 more corners there with potential for commercial.  Retail follows rooftops, as the saying goes.  And if the office building planned here actually happens, it's supposed to have a restaurant space at the bottom.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Third floor framing on the main building is mostly done.  The 8 townhomes at the Liberty-DMA corner are up to 2 floors.  And the 3-story building at the NE corner of the site (lowest elevation, along DMA) has the first floor framing up.

IMG_4539.thumb.JPG.a300059d238b90613b62533b477b520f.JPG

IMG_4547.thumb.JPG.6bf597c1c170cbd438ebc0cfe78d7435.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, westsider28 said:

From the sales packet on the Silver Hill website, it looks like the next 2 sets of duplexes will be 3-stories with garages:

Three_Story_Towns.thumb.jpg.5b6ea8fb2927488e737f062845f7d44c.jpg

These 3-story duplexes are coming before the DRB tomorrow for final approval (packet).  The City's consultant does not recommend approval due to large blank garage doors and substandard sidewalk conditions (consultant memo).  Will be interesting to see what the board thinks.

671501823_SH3-storythrendering.thumb.JPG.7692a75f695a4b382a27bcb03a9515b6.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 9:35 PM, westsider28 said:

These 3-story duplexes are coming before the DRB tomorrow for final approval (packet).  The City's consultant does not recommend approval due to large blank garage doors and substandard sidewalk conditions (consultant memo).  Will be interesting to see what the board thinks.

The DRB approved these duplexes, as they were sympathetic to the challenging topography and tight site.  They did encourage the developers to try to put trees wherever possible (like to the sides of the buildings).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.