Renaissance Park Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 2 months later...

The crane is on site and the walls are going up for the parking garage. Looking at the picture, it looks kind of like they are following the magnolia street garage in the aspect of matching one side to the church and Montgomery building and the other side to the business school and CCC. Still hard to tell at this early stage.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to learn how to post pics one of these days but in the meantime, if anyone is around the George, snap a couple and put them up here. it is a very unique brick job and is quite nice. The garage is also coming along nicely. The sidewalk is raised so you won't have to walk down and back up St. John.

• 3 months later...

Ok, random trip to Spartanburg this weekend... I don't think I've been down St John St in months. "The George" looks phenomenal! I honestly wasn't sure if architects were capable of designing something that looks this good. I think this building turned out very well. Even the parking deck doesn't look too bad, so it won't be an eyesore before they build whatever in front of it.

TheGeorgeComplete.jpg

Well, I can say that I'm slightly miffed about this discovery. USC Upstate's beautiful new downtown building is not a unique design. Check out Yale's Environmental Center. Notice any similarities with the tower portion and the brickwork?

1.jpg

It's still an attractive building though. It's just a shame that they couldn't change it up a little.

Well, I can say that I'm slightly miffed about this discovery. USC Upstate's beautiful new downtown building is not a unique design. Check out Yale's Environmental Center. Notice any similarities with the tower portion and the brickwork?

1.jpg

It's still an attractive building though. It's just a shame that they couldn't change it up a little.

My only beef with this building and other new downtown buildings (library, CCC, etc.) is that most of them have the old textile mill "look". I suppose that's the "character" that the city wants but personally I'd like to see some variety.

Does this building look like the Mayfair Mill in Arcadia?

Edited by roads-scholar

I agree that downtown needs a good variety of architectural styles. I would like to see a more modern-style building (glass & steel, maybe some color) sometime. If the city insists on keeping a conservative style, something like the QS/1 building is a good compromise.

Regarding "The George", I am looking forward to the LED stock ticker that is going to be on the tower. That will be a unique (& useful) feature that really suits a business school building.

USC Upstate website about The George

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about intersection of Liberty Street and St John Street where "The George" is and wanted to throw this out there. Do we need a traffic light at this intersection?

I think it would help. St John Street is a large, relatively high-speed thoroughfare that forms almost a pedestrian "barrier" between the Renaissance area and the rest of downtown. Currently, the only two crossings are at Church Street and Converse Street, which leaves a large gap in between. I think that a traffic light would slow down the vehicular traffic on St John Street and provide a good pedestrian crossing for future students, faculty, etc. as well as help cars on Liberty Street (exiting the new parking garage, for instance) navigate the intersection. It seems to me that a traffic light would increase walk-ability in the area as well as increasing pedestrian and vehicular safety.

What do you guys think about this idea?

I've been thinking about intersection of Liberty Street and St John Street where "The George" is and wanted to throw this out there. Do we need a traffic light at this intersection?

I think it would help. St John Street is a large, relatively high-speed thoroughfare that forms almost a pedestrian "barrier" between the Renaissance area and the rest of downtown. Currently, the only two crossings are at Church Street and Converse Street, which leaves a large gap in between. I think that a traffic light would slow down the vehicular traffic on St John Street and provide a good pedestrian crossing for future students, faculty, etc. as well as help cars on Liberty Street (exiting the new parking garage, for instance) navigate the intersection. It seems to me that a traffic light would increase walk-ability in the area as well as increasing pedestrian and vehicular safety.

I for one think this is a horrible idea. For those of us that actually work on the west side, St John St provides the only clear route to the west side. We are already slowed down by the goshforsaken light at St John and Dean (as if Dean produces any traffic at all but is always red) and now you want to add one at the George? You can park in the available decks and get to the George w/o yet another light on St John. IMHO, we do not produce enough traffic to warrant yet another useless light downtown.

I agree, and I like the way you're thinking. Ultimately with that school going in, peds will be frequently crossing at Liberty St to make their way over to the Square via Commerce, Dunbar, or Main. I doubt many will walk on St John due to the speed of traffic and the fact that the road dips down.

The trick is getting it installed. There a very specific criteria that must be met to have a signal installed. Usually it involves traffic volume, operating speed, safety factors (crashes, etc), and pedestrian traffic. Since St John is also Highway 29, SCDOT would be the ultimate decider of whether or not it would happen. I think that it's a distinct possibility, because Liberty St is apparently the end point of the new road that will be built to connect Church St by the Marriot. So if you combine traffic that is connecting to Church St via the new road, the school's ped traffic, the parking deck, and the "new urban" village that they are supposedly going to build back there, you would get a lot of traffic.

Sparkleman, the wait time at the lights is certainly an issue, but that is one that can be resolved by adjusting the timing of the light cycle. Spartanburg and/or SCDOT has never been particular good at that.

I agree that the light would be a good idea, especially if that is going to be the main entrance into the new garage as well as liberty extension going all the way to Daniel Morgan (which is now paved). One of the Master plan pictures showed a big median with a statue there helping to make it feel more pedestrian friendly.

And speaking of one who travels Dean street almost everyday, I appreciate the light.

The stock ticker is up and running on the "George". Looks really nice and easy to read, but I hope nobody gets rear-ended slowing down to read how the market is going.

As far as Converse Street, i would love to see it extended, but they may have to deal with the landscaped storm water feature (big hole). Converse street would likely have to work around it a little.

Liberty street is paved and guttered and lanscaping is going up around the George and parking garage.

I'm not a big fan of that storm water hole. Especially since, as you said, it seems to block Converse Street from extending to Daniel Morgan. The Master Plan had what I assume to be a similar feature (storm water pond), but further east where all the kudzu is (which is more out of the way).

I've only seen it on the George webcam, but the stock ticker looks great. (best online viewing is at dusk)

Wait, what? They built an entire street back there? When did that happen?

they been grading for a while. I actually drove it yesterday (don't know if I was supposed to). I turned off of St.John between the Cultural center and the George. It is a straight shot to Daniel Morgan, and that is also where you enter the new parking garage which seemed to be open.

As far as Converse, it looks like they are not taking it to Daniel Morgan, but curving it behind the CCC to intersect with the new Liberty and then continue over to the Marriott and connect with Church St. They are going to have to negotiate around the funeral home garage or simply tear it down. it is such an eyesore.

Liberty street extension is closed again. They are still working on the rain garden, sidewalks and other infrastructure. When I went to the city's website, they calle dit the "loop". don't know where that name came from and still can't fine a master plan of the area.

That's because there isn't a master plan. There is the plan that they did in the Downtown Master Plan, but since it has yet to be adopted it is essentially meaningless. The loop is probably what they are calling the project to extend the road from the Marriott around to Converse St (which with out any plans to extend Converse St is still the stupidest thing I've ever heard of).