Renaissance Park Projects & Developments

Spartan

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard anything about the planned office building recently? (tenants, design, timeline, etc)  The development agreement (approved in March, I believe) stipulated that the building design go before the DRB within 90 days, which is basically this month.  Hope this development is still proceeding and hope we hear something about it soon.

Edited by westsider28

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this seems like an appropriate place.  The City has finally gotten SCDOT approval for a traffic light with pedestrian signals at Liberty and Saint John Streets!  The City hopes the project will start in late summer / early fall then take 1-2 weeks to complete.  This will be HUGE for the area around there.  Will make it MUCH easier to walk between the George, Chapman, Co-op, Tap House, etc.  Fantastic news!

• 1 month later...

When I was reading through the Montgomery Building development agreement in the City Council agenda (here), I was surprised to see a Phase 2 mentioned as being in the early development stages.  It would be a new, mixed-use building on the lot along St. John, bounded by the MB, parking deck, & George.  According to the agreement, it would be at least 50,000 sq ft and would need to be built within 5 years of the MB reno completion, so it could be a ways off.  Sounds sort of like the land agreement with Gibbs/Cajka behind the Marriott.  But certainly interesting!

Wait, are we talking about 3 different projects?

I was talking about an additional project by BF Spartanburg LLC (here) which is the developer who is renovating the Montgomery Building.

@hub-city I think you were just mentioning the Gibbs office (on Liberty) & rumored hotel (behind Marriott) we already knew about?

@spartanburgh Are you saying there's a 3rd project at the corner of Church & St. John (across St. John from the MB)? And did you mean on the site of the old HBJ building (as opposed to Kimbrell's)?  And this is brand new and not affiliated with the others I mentioned?

Sorry, just trying to clear up some confusion.

Edited by westsider28

True...  I didn't know BF Sptbg.  had a phase 2 building planned, and I'm hoping it and the Gibbs office on Liberty could be developed.  This is the first I've heard of one on the corner.  Great spot!

Spartanburgh, do you know who is interested in developing that lot?  If so, any details?

This is what is on the table for the next 3 years.

-AC Marriott  -Under construction

-198 Main and Morgan (Royce Camp's building)- beginning later this year

-The Montgomery Building, -will know by September 22nd

-Jimmy Gibbs office building- pending

-New office building at the corner of St John and N Church ( contingent on Montgomery Building)

but not by the same group- pending

-Jimmy Gibbs new limited service hotel behind the existing Marriott- pending

-Bishop Furniture redo into 30 plus apartments- pending

• Like 1

The council's agenda does state that the building fronting St. John by BF Spartanburg is in the early planning stages, but it's great to see that are already thinking ahead enough to have the city address the site.

i'm very curious and excited about the building on the corner.  Hope more details can be shared soon.

---Bishop Furniture redo into 30 plus apartments- pending

That's the old Aug W. Smith building, on the corner of Main and Liberty, right?  

---

---New office building at the corner of St John and N Church ( contingent on Montgomery Building)

My guess is that the second BF Spartanburg building - fronting on St. John and adjacent to the Montgomery Building - is somewhat so that the developer of the Montgomery Building project gets some control over what else happens adjacent to the site.  And it probably is more of a sure money-maker when and if it happens.  The Montgomery renovation project, if you think about it, is a heck of a lift financially - I'm betting that's why the financing looks to be really complicated.  

I'm glad to see this happen, and though it's a big ask, I don't see that Council has a whole lot of choice - this is in the category of everybody holding hands and jumping together.  Otherwise the building comes down, and I have a pretty good idea who gets to pay to demolish it!  

I'll be interested to see what happens down the road with the old Carolina Theater on the ground floor - I think perhaps the Palmetto Trust will be involved in that as it is very much a historic theater not just in Spartanburg, but in the entire southeast.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new developments in Monday's City Council Agenda related to this area.  Apparently, the Gibbs/Cajka office building project is dead.  It initially sounded like they had a tenant lined up (250 jobs was the original figure), so this is pretty disappointing.  We desperately need more office jobs in order to sustain downtown's growth & prosperity in the long run.

Anyway, a new land purchase / development agreement has been proposed.  Gibbs/Cajka would now have exclusive purchase rights for Parcel A (see map in agenda linked above) through Dec. 31, 2017.  By then they must develop a building with taxable value of at least $10 million (no specific use required this time).  Deadline for construction start is June 30, 2018.  Exclusive purchase rights for Parcel B would also be through Dec. 31, 2017 but with options to extend (via fees) to 2021.  The minimum real estate value for a building on this parcel must be $15 million.

That's the main gist of the agreement.  It's a bit frustrating that we likely won't have movement here as soon as we thought.  If I had to make a bet, I'd say that the rumored hotel would be the first thing to be developed.  But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can snag an office tenant, despite our incredibly poor record of doing so.

• 4 weeks later...

This H-J article is saying that Gibbs and Cajka will continue to focus on developing an office building on Liberty and attracting a tenant to make it happen.  Not really any new info, but I'm glad they are still prioritizing the office project.  I hope they are successful.  We definitely need more white-collar jobs downtown.

I'm glad they haven't given up. GDJ seems to do well enough with spec buildings, so it should be able to work for someone else. The recent article/report about Spartanburg becoming a cheaper alternative to Greenville is also key. As downtown continues to refine itself and become a bigger/better entertainment/recreation destination it will also become a more regionally significant business center (regional as in the Upstate and WNC). I think the City is finally doing things the right way and the future is bright.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2017 at 3:56 PM, westsider28 said:

It looks like there has been some core drilling near the east corner of Liberty and DMA.  I know there was a rumor of a large apartment building potentially happening in this area.  Maybe this is a parcel being considered for that?

More core drilling in this same area today.  Anyone heard any info on what it could be for?

IMG_3292.thumb.JPG.73a03a43726ecf64ab2b5e76e2eab174.JPG

• 2 months later...

http://www.themontgomerybuilding.com/blog/48/Bright+Future+for+Downtown+Spartanburg

From the Montgomery Building's website - 3rd paragraph:

Vacancy rates in Downtown Spartanburg are very low, and the trend looks like it will continue through 2018. Hopefully the construction of a hotel and office building behind the Marriott will commence by the beginning 2018. Our goal is to have The Montgomery Building fully leased before it opens in October of 2018. Construction is on schedule, and over the coming months, the face of the building will change dramatically as it rebuilt.

Anyone willing to speculate on what this means?  Or, has anyone heard something about this recently?

Edited by roads-scholar