Perkins Road Overpass Corridor

richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Jimmy John's expanding Perkins location

Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches is adding 1,136 square feet to its Perkins Road location. The sandwich shop will take up the last bit of available space in the mixed-use development at the site of the old Perkins Road Hardware store. Kyle Wilkinson, who has the local Jimmy John's franchise, says the restaurant needed more space for customers and employees. "Often times, it was cramped in the kitchen," he says. The addition, set to open April 21, will add 20 inside seats and 250 square feet to the kitchen. This will bump up seating to 51 inside, Wilkinson says. Jimmy John's opened its Perkins location in September 2009 and was the first commitment in the mixed-use development. Wilkinson opened up a second local restaurant on Coursey Boulevard in October, he's looking at opening a third Jimmy John's somewhere in Baton Rouge by the end of the year or early 2012

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

I can't understand why this city is building up this area of Perkins when there's only a one lane road. Why why why? Either make it 2 lanes or restrict businesses from opening there.

When the development on Perkins/Acadian finally (if) opens then that entire area is going to be a complete cluster f***.

The plan is to keep that area pedestrian friendly...remaining two-lanes...they figured it was better than crossing the 5-6 lane sea further down toward Acadian Thwy. Cars will have to slow down in that area btwn 25-35mph.

It would be nice to see Acadian Village finally get off the ground one day...for now it's just a big bland field screaming for some redevelopment; Acme Oyster House could use the neighbors.

The plan is to keep that area pedestrian friendly...

That doesn't make sense. Is there even a sidewalk there in front of those places (like JJs)? I can't remember.

The area is not pedestrian pedestrian friendly by any means. It's a mess. Now if traffic was diverted around that area, THEN it would be pedestrian friendly.

And yeah Acme Oyster House looks sad all by itself. The entire area is sad and just begging to be developed. Is that planned neighborhood that was supposed to be built there dead?

Edited by itsjustme2

That doesn't make sense. Is there even a sidewalk there in front of those places (like JJs)? I can't remember.

The area is not pedestrian pedestrian friendly by any means. It's a mess. Now if traffic was diverted around that area, THEN it would be pedestrian friendly.

And yeah Acme Oyster House looks sad all by itself. The entire area is sad and just begging to be developed. Is that planned neighborhood that was supposed to be built there dead?

Have you been to Magazine Street? Its a two-lane street with side walks at a pedestrian scale and is a thriving commercial area. That is what Baton Rouge is trying to create. Although the side walks put in by the green light program are a F*$%ing joke. The entire corridor needs a lot of work, put the potential is there and it will slowly come together.

You can't compare Magazine to this area at all:

1) Magazine at has a 2 lane road like this area of Perkins. Yes. It also has side street parking. Perkins doesn't.

2) Magazine has countless side streets to park along and get in and out of. Perkins doesn't.

3) Magazine has a sidewalk. Perkins doesn't.

4) Magazine at is how many miles long of a 2 lane st? Compare that to this area of Perkins.

5) Magazine isn't jettisoned up against the interstate. This Perkins area is and it ocassionslly causes backups from people entering and exiting the interstate.

Edited by itsjustme2

You can't compare Magazine to this area at all:

1) Magazine at has a 2 lane road like this area of Perkins. Yes. It also has side street parking. Perkins doesn't.

2) Magazine has countless side streets to park along and get in and out of. Perkins doesn't.

3) Magazine has a sidewalk. Perkins doesn't.

4) Magazine at is how many miles long of a 2 lane st? Compare that to this area of Perkins.

5) Magazine isn't jettisoned up against the interstate. This Perkins area is and it ocassionslly causes backups from people entering and exiting the interstate.

You can compare Magazine to Perkins all day long:

1)Magazine at has a 2 lane road like this area of Perkins. Yes. It also has side street parking. Perkins COULD have side street parking and curbs.

2) Magazine has countless side streets to park along and get in and out of. Perkins has side streets to park on, but does not number that of Magazine.

3) Magazine has a sidewalk. Perkins COULD have side walks, curb cuts, street trees and pedestrian scaled lighting.

4) Magazine at is how many miles long of a 2 lane st? The length of a street has nothing to do with it's market viability. Magazine Street, although long, is broken up into four neighborhood economic sectors, each with their own character and each of those sectors are separated from one another with a residential component. The pedestrian friendly and economic portion of Perkins would run from Acadian to Hundred Oaks.

5) Magazine isn't jettisoned up against the interstate. This Perkins area is and it ocassionslly causes backups from people entering and exiting the interstate. The interstate has proved to be serendipitous for the neighborhood by adding valuable parking underneath it at the neighborhoods core. Its also allowed for easy access to and from the neighborhood quickly(not during rush hour of course). Clearly the interstate hasn't hurt the neighborhood, Stella Boutique, Denim Library, Jimmy Johns, Schlitz & Giggles, Rock-n-Sake, and some Condos have all opened at the base of the interstate within the past year. The Bet-R just finished an expansion and renovation and there are more projects on the books. I would hardly say that the interstate is holding this neighborhood back...

Edited by buckett5425

Oh boy, I can very easily go thru each of your points and poke holes in them so that they resemble Swiss cheese, but I'm not. Instead I'm going to remind myself that you are comparing this tiny tiny block or two or Perkins rd to that of Magazine St.

There's really nothing whatsoever to argue about. I mean, of course Perkins rd with it's no room for sidewalks or walkaways or street access is going to be the next (if not already) Magazine st. I'm sorry for doubting your comparrison.

Oh boy, I can very easily go thru each of your points and poke holes in them so that they resemble Swiss cheese, but I'm not. Instead I'm going to remind myself that you are comparing this tiny tiny block or two or Perkins rd to that of Magazine St.

There's really nothing whatsoever to argue about. I mean, of course Perkins rd with it's no room for sidewalks or walkaways or street access is going to be the next (if not already) Magazine st. I'm sorry for doubting your comparrison.

In what way is there no room for pedestrian and street improvements along Perkins? The right of way on Magazine from building to building is 60'. The buildings along Perkins are set back far enough from the road, that the same right of way could be achieved with the same improvements including side walks, two travel lanes and on street parking. There is PLENTY of room. I personally know three of the property owners along Perkins and they would be willing to give up their store front parking or the frontage of their property if it meant it would allow for easy pedestrian access from store to store and allow for on street parking. Right now the area kind of is a mess, and street improvements would help make the area look nicer, easier to navigate, raise property values, as well as generate more sales(and tax flow) for the businesses located along the road.

Whats your beef with Perkins Road? Its already a small successful area, we should be learning from it and helping grow it, not calling it a mess and a cluster F$%k.

• Like 2

No. You're right. I shouldn't call it a cluster f***. It's far from it. You're right. Just like it's the same as Magazine. Just the other day I was sitting 10 minutes at the intersection attempting to get on the interstate as cars tried to merge onto the one lane rd and I almost....almost forgot I was on Perkins and not on Magazine. It's so hard to tell.

No. You're right. I shouldn't call it a cluster f***. It's far from it. You're right. Just like it's the same as Magazine. Just the other day I was sitting 10 minutes at the intersection attempting to get on the interstate as cars tried to merge onto the one lane rd and I almost....almost forgot I was on Perkins and not on Magazine. It's so hard to tell.

No one cares about how much time you spend in traffic, you choose to drive, it comes with the territory. Also, widening roads only creates more traffic, its called "induced demand." Feel free to look it up on wikipedia.

We are talking about creating a pedestrian shopping corridor, not a CAR shopping corridor...Got it? Good thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Were talking about perkins road, NOT magazine st. Got it? Good :)

What part of Perkins are you talking about?

Perkins Road near the overpass reminds me of that part of Metarie road near the railroad- sort of a mix of pedestrians and cars.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Rendering released for redesigned Acadian-Perkins Shopping Center

A new rendering has been released for the Acadian-Perkins Shopping Center, which was heavily damaged in a New Year's Day 2010 fire. Plans to redevelop the center with a two-story, 18,782-square-foot building and an attached parking garage with 98 spaces were approved last week by the city-parish Planning Commission. AT&T opened a space in the center in the spring; and Burgersmith, a Lafayette restaurant, is set to open its first Baton Rouge location in the center by Oct. 1. Jon Claitor, whose family owns Acadian-Perkins, says negotiations are in process to lease space to a specialty grocer from California. Plans are to have retail on the first floor of the development and office space on the second. To see renderings of the redeveloped center, click here and here.

Businessreport.com

• 3 months later...

Proposal concerns business owners

Veteran business owners in the Perkins Road overpass area are wary of state plans to take another look at widening Interstate 10, which they say could wreck their neighborhood.

“It will devastate the area,” said Troy Menier, whose family has operated Troy’s Barber Shop since 1969.

Roughly a decade ago, state leaders proposed a $200 million plan to widen I-10 from the foot of the Mississippi River Bridge to Essen Lane. But the proposal died amid heavy criticism, and much of it came from the Perkins Road overpass vicinity.

http://theadvocate.com/home/1631978-125/i-10-widening-proposal-concerns-business.html

*rest of article/pics included

Proposal concerns business owners

Veteran business owners in the Perkins Road overpass area are wary of state plans to take another look at widening Interstate 10, which they say could wreck their neighborhood.

“It will devastate the area,” said Troy Menier, whose family has operated Troy’s Barber Shop since 1969.

Roughly a decade ago, state leaders proposed a $200 million plan to widen I-10 from the foot of the Mississippi River Bridge to Essen Lane. But the proposal died amid heavy criticism, and much of it came from the Perkins Road overpass vicinity.

http://theadvocate.com/home/1631978-125/i-10-widening-proposal-concerns-business.html

*rest of article/pics included

Kind of hard to have sympathy for people who build businesses right next door to a one lane interstate and under a one lane overpass in a congested area.

It will suck for those businesses but it needs to be done.

Kind of hard to have sympathy for people who build businesses right next door to a one lane interstate and under a one lane overpass in a congested area.

It will suck for those businesses but it needs to be done.

I read that they could widen that section without expropriating any homes or businesses, but they'd have to shut down the westbound on-ramp at Perkins (the one that loops around the cajun restaurant).

Edited by cajun