Perkins Road Overpass Corridor

richyb83

• 2 months later...

Former Stella site to become new restaurant

Plans are under way for a new beer and pizza joint at the site of the former Stella Boutique on Perkins Road, which closed earlier this year. The restaurant will be called Ice House Coal Fired Pizza and Pizzeria and, as its name implies, will feature a coal-fired oven with handmade pizzas and more than 40 brands of beer, according to New Orleans businessman Jack Rizzuto, who hopes to open the new establishment in 90-120 days. Before that can happen, Rizzuto must first renovate the 2,500-square-foot building, which is located in the popular Perkins Road overpass neighborhood. He also has to get permission from the Planning Commission to change the zoning at the site from C-1, or commercial, to CAB-1, which will allow him to serve alcohol on the premises. The Planning Commission is scheduled to take up the matter at its regular monthly meeting in April. "We think it's a great location," says Rizzuto, whose Ice House will be joining nearly a dozen other restaurants in a six-block strip. It will be Rizzuto's first restaurant in Baton Rouge. He owns Jester Mardi Gras Daiquiris in the 200 block of Bourbon Street in New Orleans, as well as a second location in Destin, Fla., and says he's also in the process of opening an Ice House Coal Fired Pizza restaurant on Magazine Street in New Orleans. —Stephanie Riegel

Read more from Business Report here: http://businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2MnYn8PD4

Former Stella site to become new restaurant

Plans are under way for a new beer and pizza joint at the site of the former Stella Boutique on Perkins Road, which closed earlier this year. The restaurant will be called Ice House Coal Fired Pizza and Pizzeria and, as its name implies, will feature a coal-fired oven with handmade pizzas and more than 40 brands of beer, according to New Orleans businessman Jack Rizzuto, who hopes to open the new establishment in 90-120 days. Before that can happen, Rizzuto must first renovate the 2,500-square-foot building, which is located in the popular Perkins Road overpass neighborhood. He also has to get permission from the Planning Commission to change the zoning at the site from C-1, or commercial, to CAB-1, which will allow him to serve alcohol on the premises. The Planning Commission is scheduled to take up the matter at its regular monthly meeting in April. "We think it's a great location," says Rizzuto, whose Ice House will be joining nearly a dozen other restaurants in a six-block strip. It will be Rizzuto's first restaurant in Baton Rouge. He owns Jester Mardi Gras Daiquiris in the 200 block of Bourbon Street in New Orleans, as well as a second location in Destin, Fla., and says he's also in the process of opening an Ice House Coal Fired Pizza restaurant on Magazine Street in New Orleans. —Stephanie Riegel

Read more from Business Report here: http://businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2MnYn8PD4

Sounds like a cool place. Lemme guess, it'll have 10 parking spots?

Pfffft.

All of those spots under the interstate are available. They are part of the lease from dotd.

Really unsure about this place. Schlitz is right around the corner, and is never super busy. They have a WAY stronger brand awareness than this new pizza place will.

All of those spots under the interstate are available. They are part of the lease from dotd.

Have you eve tried to park under there? It's horrible. It's just gravel, there are potholes and its a swamp when it rains. I avoid those businesses at all costs and I'm not the only one. I'll go to the dirty small Schlitz downtown before going to the one on Perkins.

Have you eve tried to park under there? It's horrible. It's just gravel, there are potholes and its a swamp when it rains. I avoid those businesses at all costs and I'm not the only one. I'll go to the dirty small Schlitz downtown before going to the one on Perkins.

Exactly. I mean, if you can't park directly outside of the front door of the business you wish to patron, on beautifully newly laid asphalt, why even bother going? 

• Like 2

Maybe I'm old fashioned in the way that I don't want to damage my car while trying to park. Or step in a huge pothole hidden in water while visiting a restaurant.

I don't see what your snarky comments hopes to accomplish other than trolling for a argument. Thanks.

Edited by itsjustme3

Trolling, or simply making a point?

If we expect to have walk-able, culturally rich neighborhoods, we will all have to get out of our cars once and a while and walk further and 20' to the business. Avoiding center parts of town because they aren't suburban enough for you, is, as you describe, the old fashioned thing to do.

• Like 1

If we expect to have walk-able, culturally rich neighborhoods, we will all have to get out of our cars once and a while and walk further and 20' to the business. Avoiding center parts of town because they aren't suburban enough for you, is, as you describe, the old fashioned thing to do.

So only those snotty suburbanites care if their cars are damaged by poor gravel roads and potholes? Meanwhile people in Baton Rouge relish at the chance to damage their vehicles? lol

So only those snotty suburbanites care if their cars are damaged by poor gravel roads and potholes? Meanwhile people in Baton Rouge relish at the chance to damage their vehicles? lol

Gravel roads and potholes, have you traveled to Ascension and Livingston Parishes lately?  

I never said the parking situation near the Overpass area was perfect, but it is by no means a reason to trash area businesses and then go on to call other businesses small and dirty. 

Gravel roads and potholes, have you traveled to Ascension and Livingston Parishes lately?

I never said the parking situation near the Overpass area was perfect, but it is by no means a reason to trash area businesses and then go on to call other businesses small and dirty.

#1.

You said: "If we expect to have walk-able, culturally rich neighborhoods, we will all have to get out of our cars once and a while and walk further and 20' to the business."

.......I repeat, until they fix the parking situation the businesses are only hurting themselves. This has absolutely nothing to do with people wanting to park closer, as you implied.

#2.

The Schlitz downtown is very dirty. Good pizza, but a dirty restaurant. How that relates to your argument about the Perkins Corridor is beyond me.

Edited by itsjustme3

It would be nice to see some asphalt in that parking area. I love the opportunity to walk a little bit, though. 

I'd say the pizza and beer niche in that area has been filled by Shlittz. They should pick a better spot for their new pizza joint. 

Edited by garrett_225
  • Like 1

#1.

You said: "If we expect to have walk-able, culturally rich neighborhoods, we will all have to get out of our cars once and a while and walk further and 20' to the business."

.......I repeat, until they fix the parking situation the businesses are only hurting themselves. This has absolutely nothing to do with people wanting to park closer, as you implied.

#2.

The Schlitz downtown is very dirty. Good pizza, but a dirty restaurant. How that relates to your argument about the Perkins Corridor is beyond me.

In New Orleans, Magazine Street is thriving and Id say maybe only 5% of those business even provide 1/3 of the required number of parking spots. There is absolutely no reason why a similar development style can't thrive in Baton Rouge, and the parking under the interstate is a BONUS for the area, not a detractor. 

How initially calling the downtown Schlitz dirty related to your arguement about the Perking Corridor is also beyond me.

In New Orleans, Magazine Street is thriving and Id say maybe only 5% of those business even provide 1/3 of the required number of parking spots. There is absolutely no reason why a similar development style can't thrive in Baton Rouge, and the parking under the interstate is a BONUS for the area, not a detractor.

How initially calling the downtown Schlitz dirty related to your arguement about the Perking Corridor is also beyond me.

1)

Comparing Magazine street to a small tiny stretch of Perkins roads is just silly.

2)

Sorry if what I said about the dirty Schlitz downtown got you upset. Like I said, good pizza but a dirty building. That's my opinion. It's dirty. But I'd still go there rather than the one on Perkins because of its location.

Edited by itsjustme3

1)

Comparing Magazine street to a small tiny stretch of Perkins roads is just silly.

2)

Sorry if what I said about the dirty Schlitz downtown got you upset. Like I said, good pizza but a dirty building. That's my opinion. It's dirty. But I'd still go there rather than the one on Perkins because of its location.

Actually, the uptown section of Magazine Street is broken up into four distinct retail clusters all separated by blocks of residential. Each cluster is roughly 4-8 blocks in length and architectural styles vary between them.

If the current empty lots on Perkins were redeveloped properly, meaning 2-3 stories, mixed-use, a street scape, the corridor could be very similar to one of the Magazine Street retail clusters. It would actually increase vehicle and pedestrian safety in the area by allowing cars to turn only at intersecting streets rather than at every curb-cut into a business. 

As for your comments regarding Schlitz, your bitter comments didn't enhance your point in anyway, other than make you look cynical. That is the point I was trying to make. 

Actually, the uptown section of Magazine Street is broken up into four distinct retail clusters all separated by blocks of residential. Each cluster is roughly 4-8 blocks in length and architectural styles vary between them.

If the current empty lots on Perkins were redeveloped properly, meaning 2-3 stories, mixed-use, a street scape, the corridor could be very similar to one of the Magazine Street retail clusters. It would actually increase vehicle and pedestrian safety in the area by allowing cars to turn only at intersecting streets rather than at every curb-cut into a business.

As for your comments regarding Schlitz, your bitter comments didn't enhance your point in anyway, other than make you look cynical. That is the point I was trying to make.

Not having a debate about the tiny area of Perkins and Magazine street. That's pointless.

And you keep getting upset on the downtown Schlitz. Why?

Not having a debate about the tiny area of Perkins and Magazine street. That's pointless.

And you keep getting upset on the downtown Schlitz. Why?

If it is your opinion that debating the areas of Perkins and Magazine is pointless, would you mind telling us as to why you think that?

Couldn't agree more. That owner has no idea how to make his developments attractive.

Claitor?

Yeah, he sat on that plot for a while and did nothing with it. That was a money spot, and they didn't spend a dime until The Caterie caught fire.

I agree with buckett. The overpass area could very well be similar to Magazine St. It's in a great location, surrounded by established neighborhoods, and can be very walkable with more thoughtful developments.

Yes.

I see Perkins between Acadian and Zeeland as similar to Old Metarie along Metarie road, and Government street as having the potential to look like Magazine.

And who hates Shlitz? I'm going to the one on Perkins in two weeks when I come down there. If it's dirty and crappy, I'm going to be upset.

Edited by cajun

It would be nice to see some asphalt in that parking area. I love the opportunity to walk a little bit, though.

I'd say the pizza and beer niche in that area has been filled by Shlittz. They should pick a better spot for their new pizza joint.

The area under the overpass would probably fit more cars if it were paved with lines.

I agree, parking needs to be addressed. I'd like to see street parking and more efficient exploitation of the space beneath the overpass.

The area under the overpass would probably fit more cars if it were paved with lines.

I agree, parking needs to be addressed. I'd like to see street parking and more efficient exploitation of the space beneath the overpass.

I agree the area under the overpass would probably fit more vehicles if it were paved.

However, there is something "cool" about the gravel, its different, speaks to the green movement (permeable parking surfaces), and in my opinion, adds a layer of character other districts in the city don't have. 

One only has to travel under I-110 to see what a sea of concrete looks like under an overpass, its not so welcoming.