Perkins Road Overpass Corridor

richyb83

Have you ever heard of permeable concrete?

I envision dyed permeable concrete with ground cover islands and palm trees alongside the freeway where sun can be found.

I'm a hardscape nerd though.

Edited by cajun

Claitor?

Yeah, he sat on that plot for a while and did nothing with it. That was a money spot, and they didn't spend a dime until The Caterie caught fire.

Yes.

I see Perkins between Acadian and Zeeland as similar to Old Metarie along Metarie road, and Government street as having the potential to look like Magazine.

And who hates Shlitz? I'm going to the one on Perkins in two weeks when I come down there. If it's dirty and crappy, I'm going to be upset.

Old Metiaire Rd is a perfect example. It is quite packed along there on weekend nights. Fairly walkable too. Government has amazing potential, even with a possible rail line. It would take much focus to revitalize the corridor though.

I agree the area under the overpass would probably fit more vehicles if it were paved.

However, there is something "cool" about the gravel, its different, speaks to the green movement (permeable parking surfaces), and in my opinion, adds a layer of character other districts in the city don't have. 

One only has to travel under I-110 to see what a sea of concrete looks like under an overpass, its not so welcoming. 

I hate gravel. I'm a man who is very fond of his footwear and gravel is the devil. There are many many alternatives for parking and taking into account the appearance of an area. Perhaps the type of slab used for patios with small rocks covering the top.

Petco plans new location in Acadian Village

New renderings of the Acadian Village Shopping Center contained in a marketing brochure making the rounds among local real estate brokers show Petco as one of the center's tenants, and two Petco executives confirm the California-based company is planning to open in the center later this summer or by early fall. Pete Perez, Petco's district manager in New Orleans, says the company has finalized a lease to move into the 102,630-square-foot shopping center, which is to be located on Perkins Road and South Acadian Thruway. The store would be Petco's third in the Capital Region, along with one on Siegen Lane and another in Denham Springs. "We love being near universities," says Perez, explaining Petco's attraction to the shopping center. "The location is a natural for us, and it's a great opportunity to expand into Baton Rouge." Petco's average store typically runs about 12,500 square feet, and Perez says the Acadian Village location will be about that size. A spokesperson for Commercial Properties Realty Trust, which owns and is developing the center, says the center is elated to have Petco as a tenant.

Read more from Business Report here: http://businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2NZOUFX7Q

• 3 weeks later...

AR-130409972.jpg

Street Breads is on track to open in the coming weeks at 3131 Perkins Rd. in the space formerly occupied by Loft 3H. It will be the first Capital Region location and the second overall for the restaurant, which serves made-from-scratch sandwiches, soups, salads and pizza, and also has a breakfast menu. The original location is in Lake Charles.

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113#ixzz2PKn9dqTK

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Claitor to start construction on second phase of shopping center

Jon Claitor says he is getting ready to begin construction on the 10,000-square-foot, second portion of his shopping center, Acadian-Perkins Plaza, at the corner of Perkins Road and South Acadian Thruway. Construction on the build-out is scheduled to begin in May, and will include seven retail spaces, five of which have tenant deals in the works, including a restaurant. Claitor tells Daily Report he expects to finalize those deals next week. Claitor has also signed a letter of intent with an undisclosed developer for the 12,500-foot-space that was occupied by CVS before fire destroyed the shopping center in January 2010. Claitor has signed a confidentiality agreement with the developer and cannot discuss specifics of the plans, which he says are related to family entertainment. —Stephanie Riegel

Read more from Business Report here: http://businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM#ixzz2RfnnPk2l

• 2 weeks later...

Is this really needed?? The empty Stella boutique space is not part of the former Perkins Road Hardware development. The building of the empty Stella boutique was purchased from the owners of the former Living Foods, health food store.   

Pizzeria eyeing Perkins Road site

A New Orleans company is looking to put a pizzeria and bar in the empty Stella boutique space in the former Perkins Road Hardware development.

http://theadvocate.com/news/business/5916622-123/pizzeria-eyeing-perkins-road-site

Im working on a lease to bring my gourmet donut shop, Tiger Deaux-nuts to the empty Bosco's spot in between JJ and Rock n Sake. Feel like that would be a much better addition than another pizza place.

Thoughts?

I would personally love if you were closer. Considering I'm moving a walking distance from there in a about a month.

Im working on a lease to bring my gourmet donut shop, Tiger Deaux-nuts to the empty Bosco's spot in between JJ and Rock n Sake. Feel like that would be a much better addition than another pizza place.

Thoughts?

If you need an architect, PM me, I worked on the original build out for that suite, Denim Library, and have all the CAD drawings. 

However, because the space was previously a food establishment, Bosco's, an architect shouldn't be required because you aren't changing occupancy types.  You will have to install a 4x4 hood though for the fryers and be able to determine that the A/C BTU's offset the heat generated by the oven. 

• Like 1

If you need an architect, PM me, I worked on the original build out for that suite, Denim Library, and have all the CAD drawings. 

However, because the space was previously a food establishment, Bosco's, an architect shouldn't be required because you aren't changing occupancy types.  You will have to install a 4x4 hood though for the fryers and be able to determine that the A/C BTU's offset the heat generated by the oven. 

Thanks Buckett. Not my first go around with build out stuff, but I may take you up on a few things.

Buckett's right in needing a Type I hood, however the size will be determined by the exact piece of equipment below.  Let Greenheck or Captive Aire design the hood for you (they'll do it at no cost in hopes of you purchasing theirs).  Also, as Buckett alludes to, the general rule is all kitchen exhaust hoods need to have 80% of exhausted air made up either from the general A/C or a designated make-up air plenum as part of the hood system.  Most often, not always, it is best to have Type I hoods include the make-up air as part of the hood for the best capture of the grease laden air and energy efficiencies by not using conditioned A/C air.

I've done many dining renovations/new construction, mostly at Universities, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Buckett's right in needing a Type I hood, however the size will be determined by the exact piece of equipment below.  Let Greenheck or Captive Aire design the hood for you (they'll do it at no cost in hopes of you purchasing theirs).  Also, as Buckett alludes to, the general rule is all kitchen exhaust hoods need to have 80% of exhausted air made up either from the general A/C or a designated make-up air plenum as part of the hood system.  Most often, not always, it is best to have Type I hoods include the make-up air as part of the hood for the best capture of the grease laden air and energy efficiencies by not using conditioned A/C air.

I've done many dining renovations/new construction, mostly at Universities, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks.  This isn't my frist hood go-around, but I appreciate the input.

• 2 months later...
Juice bar planned at Perkins Road overpass

The co-owner of Yoga Bliss is planning to bring a cold-press juice bar to the Perkins Road overpass-area space vacated last fall when Bosco's Frozen Yogurt shut down

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20130718#ixzz2ZRxxTMML

Juice bar planned at Perkins Road overpass

The co-owner of Yoga Bliss is planning to bring a cold-press juice bar to the Perkins Road overpass-area space vacated last fall when Bosco's Frozen Yogurt shut down

Read more from Business Report here: http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=20130718#ixzz2ZRxxTMML

....and the next company to fail in that spot is...

Agreed. I was near a lease there. Owner handled the process rather casually. Don't think a juice bar is sustainable but for their sake, I hope the do well.

What's the problem with that location?

Parking? Visibility? Is the space too expensive?

Other nearby businesses do well.

Edited by cajun