Perkins Road Overpass Corridor

richyb83

There is a path under the overpass. But its exists only as a dirt path because people use it, not because there is a sidewalk with lighting.

I've always thought that the benefits the overpass provides in traffic reduction is not worth the lack if sidewalks, street parking, etc.

I think it would benefit the area to have a surface street there with parking and generous side walks.

Generous sidewalks? There? How? You have a two lane road that can't be widened with businesses built along the road. You can't have both in this case. Either parking or generous sidewalks. They chose a half assed gravel parking lot that floods. Not to mention the neighborhoods that would need to accept that change.

The amount of space available along the road is deceiving because of different building setbacks, the shoulder and parking lots that back out into the street. 

The ROW is 60' which is wide enough for two 12' travel lanes, on street parking on both sides, and at least 6 to 8 feet or more of side walks on either side.  I would love to see this happen Cajun. 

not a chance it's 60ft. That would eat away parking spaces. Besides, to make it 60 you'd have to rebuild the overpass.

Edit: I might have misunderstood your comment. That is assuming you meant there is enough room for two more lanes and wider sidewalks.

Edited by itsjustme3

not a chance it's 60ft. That would eat away parking spaces. Besides, to make it 60 you'd have to rebuild the overpass.

Edit: I might have misunderstood your comment. That is assuming you meant there is enough room for two more lanes and wider sidewalks.

The ROW and width of the street are very different.

The current street width is 36' which includes two 12' travel lanes and a 6' shoulder on either side. However the ROW extends much further than this, but appears smaller because of how different properties have made use of the space, either with landscaping, sidewalks, or parking that backs into the street (which is dangerous and causes many of the traffic delays.)

A more efficient use of the 60' of ROW to would allow for two travel lanes, on street parking, and large sidewalks. It would also be much more functional and aesthetically pleasing. 

You can also track the road a little to the west of it's current alignment on the overpass.....since Kalurah street would then be redundant and could be closed and Baywood could actually intersect with Perkins.

This would also open up some of the property use for storage around there for more development and Bet-R will maintain frontage on it's east side and have greater visibility and access to Perkins.

I think we can make this area look more like Prytania street (specifically the area around Upperline) in NOLA. Bet-R keeps their parking and the street becomes more pedestrian friendly and we lose an overpass that we don't need...all while gaining street parking and eliminating some of that damn gravel.

IMO that area is cool despite the overpass, not because of it.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

yeaahhh....that's not going to happen. You have to remember this is what, 2-3 blocks? Plus a tough neighborhood association plus a overpass and rail line and intestate on ramp. The area just doesn't warrant the money it would take to make it really nice. Not to mention it has zero growth potential because the land is all locked between rail,on ramp, bridge.

IMO they are lucky to have gotten to where they are now. If anything they should raze the abandoned structures on greenwood drive and build a two story parking garage.

Edited by itsjustme3

You can also track the road a little to the west of it's current alignment on the overpass.....since Kalurah street would then be redundant and could be closed and Baywood could actually intersect with Perkins.

This would also open up some of the property use for storage around there for more development and Bet-R will maintain frontage on it's east side and have greater visibility and access to Perkins.

I think we can make this area look more like Prytania street (specifically the area around Upperline) in NOLA. Bet-R keeps their parking and the street becomes more pedestrian friendly and we lose an overpass that we don't need...all while gaining street parking.

Would be great to see a project like this. The stretch in question is a vital connection in between the Garden District and Southdowns. Functionaity is important, but this is one of the most prominent retail/restaurant districts in town and could really be something special!

I actually enjoy the overpass, I think it adds a level of character and complexity to the area and makes for an interesting space in front of Chelsea's. That being said, I think a pedestrian/bike cross at grade should tie the neighborhood and commercial area together. 

I also agree with the Prytania comparison, that is a nice little area. However, I will never understand why there are two Chase Bank locations directly across from each other right there. The ROW along Prytania appears to be about 54' and allows for everything we've been discussing. 

yeaahhh....that's not going to happen. You have to remember this is what, 2-3 blocks? Plus a tough neighborhood association plus a overpass and rail line and intestate on ramp. The area just doesn't warrant the money it would take to make it really nice. Not to mention it has zero growth potential because the land is all locked between rail,on ramp, bridge.

The vibrant area of Prytania Cajun is referring too is in the middle of a neighborhood and only stretches for three blocks.

There is plenty of room for more investment and the small scale of the project areas allows for a sharp focus and concentration of investment.

There are several empty lots in that area and several buildings that could use a "Perkin's Hardware" style makeover, meaning bring the entrance up to the street with residential above. 

The vibrant area of Prytania Cajun is referring too is in the middle of a neighborhood and only stretches for three blocks.

There is plenty of room for more investment and the small scale of the project areas allows for a sharp focus and concentration of investment.

There are several empty lots in that area and several buildings that could use a "Perkin's Hardware" style makeover, meaning bring the entrance up to the street with residential above.

I disagree. Very limited street view locations and thats what sells. Ever been on the road BEHIND those businesses? It's not pretty.

I disagree. Very limited street view locations and thats what sells. Ever been on the road BEHIND those businesses? It's not pretty.

I have been on the road behind those businesses. 

But what does that have to do with existing buildings along Perkins being redeveloped into mixed-use or empty lots along Perkins being developed?

• Like 1

If you're saying the only way for that area to be successful is if people come in and tear down and rebuild existing buildings along a .25 mile strip of Perkins road under a overpass then the area will stay as it is. There are several areas that need to be razed. Eliminate the eyesores is all I'm saying. If not its just going to be a mini Fat City.

If you're saying the only way for that area to be successful is if people come in and tear down and rebuild existing buildings along a .25 mile strip of Perkins road under a overpass then the area will stay as it is. There are several areas that need to be razed. Eliminate the eyesores is all I'm saying. If not its just going to be a mini Fat City.

Often times to generate investment in an area it first must receive some sort of civic investment, be it a new road, new overpass, or new pedestrian improvements. The Perkins Overpass Area is one of Baton Rouge's few walkable neighborhood centers, although it does need a lot of help. 

To help generate private investment in the area, the city can make all of the necessary pedestrian investments we've been referring to. This lowers the risk for a private land owner to remove the parking in front of their store and replace it with a mixed use building and the original building remains behind. This becomes a wise investment because the over all streetscape is improved and increased foot traffic replaces the lost parking. Its been done successfully in other cities, can easily be done here if the right policies are in place. 

Ill just stop here, but this needs to happen in a few other areas of the city as well. But I am sure you will have something awful to say about it and will explain that widening the roads would be a better idea. Discussion over. 

• Like 1

+2 points for Buckett using "vibrant" in a post.

I'm not sure what this would costs. I think it's one of the few key areas to Baton Rouge's urban growth....and this far the infrastructure investment there has been completely half-assed.

They added those sidewalks at least.

Edited by cajun

I don't think a public parking deck is a worthy investment yet....mostly because the area doesn't currently have access to real pedestrian infrastructure.

The afterthought of a sidewalk on Perkins is still better than what most of those side streets have- open ditches, no sidewalk, and lots of gravel driveways.

Often times to generate investment in an area it first must receive some sort of civic investment, be it a new road, new overpass, or new pedestrian improvements. The Perkins Overpass Area is one of Baton Rouge's few walkable neighborhood centers, although it does need a lot of help.

To help generate private investment in the area, the city can make all of the necessary pedestrian investments we've been referring to. This lowers the risk for a private land owner to remove the parking in front of their store and replace it with a mixed use building and the original building remains behind. This becomes a wise investment because the over all streetscape is improved and increased foot traffic replaces the lost parking. Its been done successfully in other cities, can easily be done here if the right policies are in place.

Ill just stop here, but this needs to happen in a few other areas of the city as well. But I am sure you will have something awful to say about it and will explain that widening the roads would be a better idea. Discussion over.

haha. Keep dreaming. As it stands now the area has horrible parking and if people can't park they won't come spend money. When they don't spend money stores close. When stores close then some ridiculous concept food restaurant opens it its place. The cycle will continue. Atleast until they fix the parking issue.

haha. Keep dreaming. As it stands now the area has horrible parking and if people can't park they won't come spend money. When they don't spend money stores close. When stores close then some ridiculous concept food restaurant opens it its place. The cycle will continue. Atleast until they fix the parking issue.

He is suggesting investing in the area to make it more attractive, just as this post describes. You are arguing the same exact point.

The area needs street parking with a barrier curb between the street and sidewalk. There is too much retail space and not enough parking.

The parking that exist today needs to be paved and marked.

• 2 weeks later...

Olinde's the latest to take Perkins Road storefront in new direction

Retail or restaurant? Which is the best use for the many small storefronts that line Perkins Road from the overpass to College Drive? Over the past 18 months, there has been a lot of turnover—not only in tenants, but in the type of tenants. Among the many examples: Magpie Café, formerly The Parlor tattoo parlor; Street Breads, formerly Loft 3H boutique; and LD Linens and Décor, formerly Bushwood BBQ in the Southdowns Shopping Center. The latest example is Olinde's Southdowns Mattress Superstore, which opened Thursday at 4201 Perkins Road in the 4,200-square-foot space previously occupied by Marcello's Wine Market. Andrew Olinde, whose family owns the local mattress store chain, says the Southdowns location made sense for the company because of the heavy traffic count along Perkins Road and the high demand for Southdowns homes. "Southdowns is constantly transforming, and there are lots of young families who live around here because of the good schools," he says. "So it's an ideal location for us." The new store is the third local Olinde's

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportAM

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Business Report Real Estate Property of the Week

sask.png

City Pork Deli & Charcuterie has just opened in this 1,800-square-foot space at 2363 Hollydale Ave., next to George's at the Perkins Road overpass. The project has been under development since August 2012.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113

• 3 months later...