Proterra

gs3

This news is so big it deserves its own thread.

A long time coming, but Greenville has bagged another "BMW". Proterra will move not only their manufacturing facilities to Greenville, but their corporate headquarters as well. Corp headquarters will be in ICAR.....1,300 jobs.....a "green" transit bus manufacturer!!!!!!!! This is excellent not only for Greenville, but the state of SC as well! YES!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:http://www.wyff4.com/news/22403508/detail.html

Lots of future photo ops of the headquarters building and manufacturing facilities.

Told ya so. whistling.gif This company is about to grow big time. Lots of cities and universities throughout the country want to use their buses.

You did call it right g-man. Kudos to you. :thumbsup: Wonder how long it will be until we start seeing the Proterra buses used for Greenlink? :D

This news is so big it deserves its own thread.

A long time coming, but Greenville has bagged another "BMW". Proterra will move not only their manufacturing facilities to Greenville, but their corporate headquarters as well. Corp headquarters will be in ICAR.....1,300 jobs.....a "green" transit bus manufacturer!!!!!!!! This is excellent not only for Greenville, but the state of SC as well! YES!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:http://www.wyff4.com/news/22403508/detail.html

Lots of future photo ops of the headquarters building and manufacturing facilities.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent news for Greenville, the Upstate, and South Carolina! This is monumental, guys!

:yahoo::alc:

Told ya so. whistling.gif This company is about to grow big time. Lots of cities and universities throughout the country want to use their buses.

Not only that, transit use is at an all time high nationally. More and more cities are expanding their transit systems. PLUS, Obama is throwing money at transit these days. As our national markets trend towards a more urban lifestyle, transit is only going to continue to grow. This is a major win for Greenville and South Carolina.

I wonder what sort of partnership could grow with Proterra and the proposed BRT route to Downtown...? It seems like they would want the exposure of their bus being used, AND they themselves would want easy access to the CBD for business reasons and entertainment...

I look forward to seeing the architecture of their new HQ and research facility!

I wonder what sort of partnership could grow with Proterra and the proposed BRT route to Downtown...? It seems like they would want the exposure of their bus being used, AND they themselves would want easy access to the CBD for business reasons and entertainment.

Floating around somewhere is a BRT rendering and the bus IS the Proterra bus (I'll see if I can dig up). I believe the joint partnership between the city and company has been the plan all along. I remember a comment from officials when this first started about Greenville being the perfect test laboratory.

Floating around somewhere is a BRT rendering and the bus IS the Proterra bus (I'll see if I can dig up). I believe the joint partnership between the city and company has been the plan all along. I remember a comment from officials when this first started about Greenville being the perfect test laboratory.

http://www.ridegreenlink.com/tiger/Footnote_24_NEW_Fueling_Station_on_CUICAR_Campus.pdf ;) That's the best I could find.

Edited by citylife

Cool. Thanks for finding this one. It definitely shows the intent. I'm thinking of another one though...it actually showed the Proterra bus on a rendering of the BRT and then showed it downtown as regular street transit. I thought you had posted it a year or so back, but I may have seen it at a city function. :dontknow: I'll keep digging.

Cool. Thanks for finding this one. It definitely shows the intent. I'm thinking of another one though...it actually showed the Proterra bus on a rendering of the BRT and then showed it downtown as regular street transit. I thought you had posted it a year or so back, but I may have seen it at a city function. dontknow.gif I'll keep digging.

I think I know what you're talking about. It was on a pdf file I have for the tiger grant application.

According to the Greenville Journal, around 300 jobs could be created by the end of this year from Proterra. They will be housed in a new building which will start construction later this year.

Any info on which "neighborhood" the headquarters will be in? I-85 frontage? What about the manufacturing portion? The old Hollingsworth site?

Any info on which "neighborhood" the headquarters will be in? I-85 frontage? What about the manufacturing portion? The old Hollingsworth site?

Tech neighborhood five next to Laurens Road is what i'm hearing through the rumor mill. Can't confirm that though. I don't know if the Greenville Journal is referring to both the manufacturing and research buildings as being built new or just one of them. For all I know, Proterra might locate all of their operations in one new building. My guess and this is just a guess is that the manufacturing portion will be located in the old Hollingsworth building and the research center will be built next to it in tech neighborhood five.

Edited by citylife

Tech neighborhood five next to Laurens Road is what i'm hearing through the rumor mill. Can't confirm that though. I don't know if the Greenville Journal is referring to both the manufacturing and research buildings as being built new or just one of them. For all I know, Proterra might locate all of their operations in one new building. My guess and this is just a guess is that the manufacturing portion will be located in the old Hollingsworth building and the research center will be built next to it in tech neighborhood five.

Five adjoins Millenium Campus at the point where the hospital will be built, correct?

Five adjoins Millenium Campus at the point where the hospital will be built, correct?

Oh wait, i'm sorry...I meant to say tech neighborhood FOUR for Proterra. I got the numbers mixed up again. laugh.gif Proterra is rumored for that neighborhood which is pretty much directly behind the new brick wall at the main ICAR entrance. Expect several other buildings in the campus to start construction this year including one or two new office buildings in tech neighborhood one, Center for Emerging Technologies facility in tech neighborhood two, and American Titanium Works new research center in tech neighborhood five which is next to Red Roof Inn and borders I-85. You can see the campus map here: http://www.clemson.e...campus/map.html ICAR is currently 100% leased and there are several companies that want to call it home. The place is about to go boom.

Edited by citylife

Can someone remind me of what American Titanium's presence at the site will be? HQ, research...? And a number of employees? EDIT: Well, I answered myself. 40 "applied engineering" positions in an R&D role for the company. Construction to start this year.

It would surprise me if Proterra didn't want to locate near the proposed BRT stop, but I'm not sure what those possibilities are... though being on 85 or Laurens Rd would be far greater exposure...

Edited by GvilleSC

Can someone remind me of what American Titanium's presence at the site will be? HQ, research...? And a number of employees? EDIT: Well, I answered myself. 40 "applied engineering" positions in an R&D role for the company. Construction to start this year.

And then 300 to 500 at the new ATW factory/mill down 385 in Laurens County.

Oh wait, i'm sorry...I meant to say tech neighborhood FOUR for Proterra. I got the numbers mixed up again. laugh.gif Proterra is rumored for that neighborhood which is pretty much directly behind the new brick wall at the main ICAR entrance. Expect several other buildings in the campus to start construction this year including one or two new office buildings in tech neighborhood one, Center for Emerging Technologies facility in tech neighborhood two, and American Titanium Works new research center in tech neighborhood five which is next to Red Roof Inn and borders I-85. You can see the campus map here: http://www.clemson.e...campus/map.html ICAR is currently 100% leased and there are several companies that want to call it home. The place is about to go boom.

Cool. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Didn't the tiger Grant application show the factory as a new building in ICAR?