Proterra

gs3

Good article on what it took to land Proterra: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100207/BUSINESS/2070322/Proterra-drives-into-Greenville-thanks-to-teamwork-incentives Sounds like we were in stiff competition with Columbus, Ohio for the plant.

That article was a good read. It showed the HUGE role that LOCAL leaders had, even more so than officials at the state level. I got this feeling from the announcement, as well. I'm glad Greenville and the Upstate's leaders at the national level had motivation and the willingness to chase this and not let it get away.

Article from a newspaper in a state that was in the running for Proterra. Good insight into their decision to choose Greenville. Didn't realize until reading this that Proterra was given one seat on the ICAR board.

http://www2.mooresvilletribune.com/content/2010/feb/10/town-dismayed-losing-bus-plant-sc/

Its about time we landed something like this....very encouraging to say the least.

A plastics company that does a good deal of work with the auto industry is looking to bring numerous jobs to Greenville in conjunction with Proterra.....apparently Proterra uses / will use them. I stumbled onto this bit of info chatting with someone at the airport. No additional info and I have no idea who the company is. :dontknow: Anyone have additional insight?

A plastics company that does a good deal of work with the auto industry is looking to bring numerous jobs to Greenville in conjunction with Proterra.....apparently Proterra uses / will use them. I stumbled onto this bit of info chatting with someone at the airport. No additional info and I have no idea who the company is. dontknow.gif Anyone have additional insight?

Not me, but maybe it has something to do with the rumor that a company is going to announce in a few weeks that they will be bringing over 1,000 jobs to Greenville. dontknow.gif

Edited by citylife

I have no info, but that sounds great! I'm glad that they may be looking at Greenville and not just aiming for the region or state. Not only should the end product be environmentally friendly, but the production needs to be, as well. Having the parts closer to the Proterra plant will assist in this 'green' initiative...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was this previously the Pet milk facility?

Sorry for the late response but no, it's not the PET facility. The building Proterra will be temporarily located in is right next door to that. Speaking of Proterra, they have received more financing for their future permanent plant and expansion plans: http://www.gsabusine...expansion?rss=0 :)

Edited by citylife

Sorry for the late response but no, it's not the PET facility. The building Proterra will be temporarily located in is right next door to that. Speaking of Proterra, they have received more financing for their future permanent plant and expansion plans: http://www.gsabusine...expansion?rss=0 :)

Good news. I can't wait to see Proterra buses on test drives around the city. OR better yet, running on Greenlink routes.

• 2 months later...

Update:

Proterra has moved into their temporarily facility. 30 workers hired so far (most locally) and 4 buses currently on assembly line. First bus to be complete in early-mid October. Construction slated to start on permanent manufacturing facility in fall at ICAR. Context Design Group out of Greenville has been hired to design the plant. Company has also received $20 million in investment capital financing from MK Energy and Infrastructure LLC.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update story on Proterra from GSA Business: http://www.gsabusine...e-to-greenville

-Proterra to ship its first Greenville made bus October 15th to Fort Lewis, Washington.

-Permanent manufacturing plant construction expected to begin at CU-ICAR within two months.

-Currently five buses on assembly line and 45 workers (number in GSA Business story is wrong) at temporary facility.

-No more buses are being manufactured in Colorado. All will now be assembled in Greenville.

Edited by citylife

Proterra has hired the Furman Company for development services of the new manufacturing facility slated to start construction later this year at the CU-ICAR campus. You can see the site plan for the future Proterra plant at the bottom of this page: http://www.proterra.com/index.php/about/aboutDetail/C26/

• 1 month later...

Excerpts from today's Greenville News article:

Proterra Inc. said Wednesday it plans to make 20 of its battery-powered buses in Greenville in new business made possible by federal grants.

The company said transit agencies in four states will use nearly $27 million from the Federal Transit Administration to buy the zero-emission buses and four charging stations.

Proterra hailed the development as a “major commercial milestone” that accelerates its goal of replacing diesel buses with its own products.

“There’s more on the way,” said Jeff Granato, the company’s chief executive officer. “We can’t say anything more than that, but we definitely have a couple more announcements coming right around the corner.”

Granato said the first Greenville-made bus — an order for the U.S. Army — is scheduled to roll off the assembly line at the end of November.

He said Proterra will likely complete contracts with the transit agencies sometime in the first quarter and start delivering the buses by summer.

Proterra is also working on a contract to sell three buses to a customer in San Antonio, Texas, in a deal made possible by $5 million in federal stimulus money.

• 1 month later...

Update from the Greenville News:

-Construction to start in early 2011 on manufacturing facility at ICAR. Financing for it to be complete in mid-January 2011. Furman Company is the developer.

-$33 million, 220,000-square-foot plant. It will initially have two assembly lines capable of making about 350 buses.

-90 people hired so far to work at temporary manufacturing facility. Number expected to double by mid-2011.

-First Greenville made bus to be completed on Thursday.

Update from the Greenville News:

-Construction to start in early 2011 on manufacturing facility at ICAR. Financing for it to be complete in mid-January 2011. Furman Company is the developer.

-$33 million, 220,000-square-foot plant. It will initially have two assembly lines capable of making about 350 buses.

-90 people hired so far to work at temporary manufacturing facility. Number expected to double by mid-2011.

-First Greenville made bus to be completed on Thursday.

:thumbsup: This is awesome!