Proterra

gs3

• 1 year later...

From Gville News:

The Federal Transit Administration has awarded the Clemson area's bus system nearly $4 million to buy more electric buses.

The grant, announced today, is part of $55 million allocated to 20 transit providers in 13 states under an FTA program that funds transit buses with zero emissions or low emissions.

Clemson Area Transit, or CAT, already operates six electric buses in the city of Seneca that were manufactured in Greenville by Proterra Inc.

CAT had applied for a little more than $6 million to buy 12 40-foot electric buses to replace 12 aging diesel buses that it operates at Clemson University and the city of Clemson. The original plan also included 14 chargers and a local match of about $4.2 million from the state Department of Transportation, Clemson University and the city of Clemson.

Al Babinicz, CAT’s general manager and CEO, couldn't be reached immediately to explain how CAT would respond to receiving less federal money than it had sought.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

CARTA purchasing first electric buses from Proterra

The Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Council of Governments was awarded $1.5 million in funding recently as a part of the Federal Transportation Authority Low- or No-Emission Grant program.

Electric buses cost about $500,000 each, roughly $200,000 more than their gas-fueled cousins.

CARTA has applied for additional federal funding that could soon bring the bus order to nine, said spokesman Daniel Brock.

A cornerstone of the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act signed into law by Congress in December 2015, the Low-No Grant program is centered on modernizing transit systems through the purchase of buses, which are powered by hybrid or battery engines, according to Proterra.

More than $84 million in funding was awarded to 52 projects in 41 states. About $36 million will be spent on Proterra buses nationally.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:11 AM, gman430 said:

And yet Greenville still doesn’t have any. Sad and pathetic. 

It's all about the Federal grants. If we got the grants we would get the busses. We need to figure out why our grants don't get approved. Maybe because we spend so little on transit to start with. CARTA is much bigger than GTA.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The SC Department of Education is placing a huge order for 160 Proterra school buses: 

https://gsabusiness.com/news/automotive/83365/

This is great. Proterra has been heavily struggling and I'm quite frankly worried about their future.  Seems like they've been a victim from very poor management on top of the covid supply chain struggles.

Small correction though -- these are Thomas Bus's that will be using Proterra batteries, not Proterra busses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2023 at 2:19 PM, NewlyUpstate said:

This is great. Proterra has been heavily struggling and I'm quite frankly worried about their future.  Seems like they've been a victim from very poor management on top of the covid supply chain struggles.

Small correction though -- these are Thomas Bus's that will be using Proterra batteries, not Proterra busses. 

Don't tell me I told you so. Proterra filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today.  Great concept unfortunately ruined by poor management and an inability to navigate through the supply chain challenges of the last 4ish years. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ev-firm-proterra-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy-2023-08-07/

5 minutes ago, gman430 said:

This never happened when the orange mean tweet man was in the White House. Just saying. 

If anything, green energy bills the democrats have been passing were propping up horribly mismanaged companies like Proterra.

People I know who worked there said the environment was very chaotic. I almost took a mid level strategic management position there and was told in no uncertain terms to run.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

If anything, green energy bills the democrats have been passing were propping up horribly mismanaged companies like Proterra.

People I know who worked there said the environment was very chaotic. I almost took a mid level strategic management position there and was told in no uncertain terms to run.

Lol same. 

7 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Ford never got a bailout. 

Technically no, but it is a little more nuanced than that. They certainly benefited from their competitors not going under and a $9 billion line of credit that they did receive. They also sold 40,000 units under the cash for clunkers program. 

Ford Motor Co does U turn on bailouts   

• 3 months later...