Ballantyne

underoak

That's pretty much inline with standard for the suburbs....4 spaces per 1,000 sq ft, so that's a 262,500 sq ft building, which is almost exactly what the 2 Met Life buildings are (and are 10 stories)....this building will probably be 270-280k sq ft.  They were considering 15 stories at one point in time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmm....

Eric Frazier at the Observer blogs:  http://cltdevelopment.blogspot.com/2014/01/is-ballantyne-west-coming-near.html#storylink=cpy

At a breakfast Tuesday morning, some of the city's most powerful business and political leaders sought new ways to give Charlotte a better competitive edge on the global economic stage.....

In one of the more interesting items that came up, Charlotte City Manager Ron Carlee said the city's aiming to use redevelopment opportunities around Charlotte-Douglas International Airport to create the region's next big "edge city."

"The 1997 strategic plan called for a new edge city. We now are beginning to have the infrastructure and the momentum in place ...  to actually realize that edge city," Carlee said. "We're pulling together with the airport, infrastructure, planning, public safety, all of the agencies, to look at what does it take to really make this happen, partnering together with the community and other stakeholders?"

Revisiting at 1997 plan now? How peculiar. The term "edge city" sounds a lot like 1985.

I totally understand the idea of making the area the new center of manufacturing and distribution for the metro. I am at a bit of a loss when discussions about 'edge citys' and "Ballantyne" [e.g. office space] come up. We have a perfectly good downtown with all the infrastructure necessary for more office growth. I am also puzzled that the city / Carlee is on board with this, I tacitly understood that westside development was one of the subtexts of the Harris / Rucho / Orr plan for the airport authority, but thought the city knew better than pursue such a strategy. Perhaps Johnny Harris found someone else to carry his water? I also can't imagine that this plan won't tick Smoky Bissell off.

On the plus side, I can see this as justification for airport rail transit, but still, WTF?

Edited by kermit

Why is developing raw land into additional urban sprawl the strategic plan? Re-developing rundown areas should be the highest priority, like inside 485 e.g. Wilkinson, West, Freedom, Tuckaseegee

And an intelligent comment on the non-facebook section of Observer boards! Of course, those sections of town don't have the same logisitical opportunities as W of the airport, but still...

• Like 1

I actually agree of building a manufacturing/logistical mecca in the airport area.   I also would love to see a master plan for the city in regards to proper planning of industrial areas versus the sense that "wherever"  that you sometimes get riding in parts of Northern, Western and South Western Charlotte.     I think the whole Boeing thing brought to the fore the potential the city has with CLT and a logistic/manufacturing hub.

The problem is the city marketers and the Observer needing to dumb it down and misrepresent it as "Ballantyne West" as if it would have any resemblance to that area in most people's mind.   

Not to defend their ideas [in any way], but I can agree from a very high level 50 year plan kind of timeframe.  Edge cities confine the perimeter, eventually meet, and eventually produce a larger denser more connected urban area in which the center eventually reaps the benefits.  That said, I'd like to see some detail to these plans, if its more disjointed/disconnected/destructive crap, then sadly it wont do much for that long-term.

IF this idea is purely manufacturing, this is actually a great idea honestly.  If it's another mega-business park/Ballantyne, then NO, God NO.  Having a solid manufacturing hub is perfect for an area like the airport with rail and easy access to an underused section of 485 (for truckers, not commuters.)  And before somebody cites that "underused," I'm not talking rush hours where access to 77 and entrance to the Pineville/Ballantyne part of 485 gets backed up.  During the majority of the day, this is a relative ghost town beyond Tryon/Ayrsly up to 85W and back up to 77N.  This area makes perfect sense IF they can create a master plan that prevents logistical nightmares and stick to it.  This is something the city should explore.

I'm disappointed that the Ayrsly development hasn't grown out a little more.  I'm guessing the big boxes were the end of any semblance of organization to the area though.

Edited by AuLukey

Just food for thought...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/01/amazon-we-plan-to-invest-in-north-carolina.html

Seems like something with Amazon (Logistics, Warehouse, etc.) could be a good fit for Airportsboro.

I had the same thought when I read that article this morning. Amazon warehouse would be a good fit for this area around the airport.

I had the same thought when I read that article this morning. Amazon warehouse would be a good fit for this area around the airport.

I just wish they'd consider Wilkerson Boulevard instead of sprawling out towards the lake in the quest for quick bucks. Two things could be accomplished: cleaning up Wilkerson and providing jobs for people who could almost walk to work. The infrastructure is already in place.

Edited by Windsurfer

If successful, this area will become the next warehouse distribution area.  Rail, highways, and the airport mean you can do your freight shipping and "just in time" or "just in case" distribution from one location.  The Garden Parkway will also help transportation in the area (hopefully it never gets built).

Think of this area as the next Alliance area of Dallas, on a much smaller scale.  You can quickly get goods to Atlanta, Triangle, Triad, and deep into VA, KY, and GA from one location.  The growth of the southern markets will favor distribution out of Charlotte over Atlanta.

If successful, this area will become the next warehouse distribution area.  Rail, highways, and the airport mean you can do your freight shipping and "just in time" or "just in case" distribution from one location.  The Garden Parkway will also help transportation in the area (hopefully it never gets built).

Think of this area as the next Alliance area of Dallas, on a much smaller scale.  You can quickly get goods to Atlanta, Triangle, Triad, and deep into VA, KY, and GA from one location.  The growth of the southern markets will favor distribution out of Charlotte over Atlanta.

No argument Charlotte will become even bigger at distribution. It always has been a huge distribution hub. I remember in the 60's we used to brag about being the 2nd largest trucking center outside of Chicago. Yeah, a big truck stop.   Anyway, I'm not against the newfound trade, only that we're letting an opportunity slide to attract businesses like Amazon to a blighted area. As we build farther and farther out, we're only going to leave more and more empty and decaying areas like Freedom Dr. Wilkinson Blvd. etc. I'll get off my high horse now.

Gold line to tg airport could help Wilkinson.

Hopefully Jerryville will be somewhat TOD. Maybe companies can decide to put corp/ offices in uptown and manufacturing in Jerryville. I'd imagine there would be blue collar jobs so having Jerryville built with TOD will make sense?

Hopefully Jerryville will be somewhat TOD. Maybe companies can decide to put corp/ offices in uptown and manufacturing in Jerryville. I'd imagine there would be blue collar jobs so having Jerryville built with TOD will make sense?

As nice as that sounds, I expect that companies will be no closer to each other than a 1/4 mile separated by large parking lots for employees and tractor trailers.  :yawn:  

I think you ought to call it Harrisville. My point is missed. We must consider quality of life issues, and mowing down 5,000 acres of trees is, not only redundant since we already have Wilkinson Blvd (that we keep talking about investing money to improve), but kind of irresponsible in this day and time when such places are disappearing.  I just don't get it. (Actually, I do from Johnny Harris' point of view)

I think you ought to call it Harrisville. My point is missed. We must consider quality of life issues, and mowing down 5,000 acres of trees is, not only redundant since we already have Wilkinson Blvd (that we keep talking about investing money to improve), but kind of irresponsible in this day and time when such places are disappearing.  I just don't get it. (Actually, I do from Johnny Harris' point of view)p659060663-5.jpg

SHUDDER!!!!!!!

Edited by Guest

I agree with the predominate sentiment here that creating Ballantyne part 2 is an irresponsible use of this land.  I do however think that building some of the areas especially those south of the airport and immediately adjacent to I-485 as logistics and manufacturing hubs is a good use of the land.  It is a natural location for manufacturing and distribution facilities for obvious reasons.  Additionally, if the proposed Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington Interstate vision comes to fruition, this area will occupy an even greater position of prominence as a transportation hub.  

As for the rest of Dixie Berryhill, I think a responsible and dense commercial/residential component is key.  A Crystal City/Reston TC,/Rosslyn type center with an urban grid network of streets and light rail along Wilkinson will be vital in ensuring this area is developed properly.  If however, this turns out to be what is pictured above, combined with soul-less deforestation to make way for cookie cutter subdivisions, then I think an opportunity to do something really great for our city/region will be forever lost.

Still the question should not be whether we should develop this area, but rather how do we develop this area responsibly with an eye for both economy and environment.

To be filed under Shocked! Shocked I tell you!:

(On Ballantyne Village) “The parking design is really bad,” he said. “There’s no way it could have been designed with pedestrians in mind.”

It's funny how some developers think that the mere existence of sidewalks makes a place walkable. The difference between being "able to walk" versus "walkable" is that in a walkable place, you want to walk (which relates to the urban design/layout of buildings). When developers in this city finally get that, then true progress will be made.

• Like 1