Ballantyne

underoak

• 1 month later...

booo. Rather it by in center city or SouthPark

Well...I don't want any 10-story spec buildings in uptown or SouthPark. That's suburban dreck. (Don't get me started on the suburban dreck known as Capitol Towers.)

I keep waiting for Ballantyne to build something as a landmark, say 20 stories, but I guess it'll never happen.

Charlotte developers, bless their hearts. They put their money at risk, they build, they lease up, I admire them.

But their architectural taste is embarrassingly awful. At best, it's just forgettable. SouthPark is especially awful. Paste-on pediments and columns in the sky as far as the eye can see. So traditional and not even in a good way. The only SouthPark building worth remembering is the Coca Cola building. At least it's filled with light and isn't rocking paste-on pediments.

But the dreck gets leased up. I guess it's what Charlotte wants. 

OK, rant concluded.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 2

Well...I don't want any 10-story spec buildings in uptown or SouthPark. That's suburban dreck. (Don't get me started on the suburban dreck known as Capitol Towers.)

I keep waiting for Ballantyne to build something as a landmark, say 20 stories, but I guess it'll never happen.

Charlotte developers, bless their hearts. They put their money at risk, they build, they lease up, I admire them.

But their architectural taste is embarrassingly awful. At best, it's just forgettable. SouthPark is especially awful. Paste-on pediments and columns in the sky as far as the eye can see. So traditional and not even in a good way. The only SouthPark building worth remembering is the Coca Cola building. At least it's filled with light and isn't rocking paste-on pediments.

But the dreck gets leased up. I guess it's what Charlotte wants. 

OK, rant concluded.

aren't there 2 10 floor office developments for SouhEnd...

I'm not necessarily advocating for the design, rather than the inventory of space to be in SouthPark or Center City. Skyscrapers don't make a place urban and a 20 floor building in Ballantyne would, in my opinion, make us even more suburban than we are. Center City and sort of South Park are urban. Ballantyne is will never resemble anything urban

I suspect that upwards of 99.5% of the populace are not urban geeks.

Those 95% are also the people that think we should widen 485 to ten lanes to be more like Atlanta - "we CAN widen roads to get rid of congestion!!" I'm sure 20% of those people think a flyover should be built directly from 485 directly into this parking garage. Those 20% are also completely removed from reality. 

• Like 1

I suspect that upwards of 99.5% of the populace are not urban geeks.

Not consciously, and they may oppose a lot of urban-focused plans on paper, but 50% of those people are also the type that do subconsciously enjoy good urbanism when they experience it. They love Charleston and Asheville and occasional visits to bigger cities, they just don't think about what it takes to foster that kind of environment. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

300,000 SQ FT of new space for Red Ventures in SC. One of the buildings will be six floors and will feature a wonderful view of the landfill next door. It will be a 'mixed use' development, so I'm guessing they'll open up a Subway sandwich shop inside since their offices are surrounded by absolute nothing that is mixed use and they offer their employees minimal nearby amenities with their inferior location. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/outside_the_loop/2015/10/red-ventures-teaming-up-with-developer-for-indian.html

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Bissell is starting their hotel as I saw a permit for a hotel at 11611 N Community House Rd which is next to their new 10 story office building the Brigham. The permit according to the Business Journal was for $23 million! anybody know anything about this. I knew they planned a hotel there but it now seems it is underway. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ Sprouts is a nice market. I hope they expand into other areas of NC. Fresh Market better watch out though. They have similar concepts, but Sprouts appeals to more age groups. Fresh Market seems to be going after the 80 year olds with that music.

Edited by CLT2014

• 1 month later...

I guess publix is officially moving forward on the Carmel/51 Site. I know this was reported by the CBJ, etc a while ago, but I think there were a few hangups with the site. With the renovations at Carmel Commons, this area is really starting to improve.   

Wnq4df0.jpg?1

• Like 1

With "City Barbecue" being built outside Publix, and Jim & Nick's being built at Hwy 160, you will soon have 6 BBQ places evenly spaced in a 5 mile stretch of 521.  For those unfamiliar, Midwood is in a space previously held by Elwood's BBQ, and Midwood is in the old Sticky Fingers space.

btynebbq_zps9wus3pbm.jpg

Edited by grodney

• 1 month later...

New 10 story Brigham Building 287K sq ft in Ballantyne on Community House Road with parking garage. There is also a sign for about a 10 story hotel coming soon too. I thought I saw some permits for it in the Business Journal a ways back. Anyone know about this new hotel? 

CAM06654.jpg

CAM06653.jpg

• Like 1

Yes.  There is a substantial shortage of hotel space in Ballantyne.  I work in the business park and I understand the the hotel project is likely to happen.

Urban geek who grew up in Elizabeth, currently lives next to Freedom Park, and now - ironically - works in Ballantyne after years of working in Uptown Charlotte and Penn Ave in DC.  When my firm relocated to Ballantyne, I was initially disappointed.  But, having been there for several years now, I'm pretty happy with the business park.  It's not as stale as many believe.  Lots of nice walking trails.  My main complaint is that a car trip is required to do almost anything in the area, and, aside from some areas of the business park, the Ballantyne area is not pedestrian friendly.

On August 15, 2016 at 0:45 PM, KJHburg said:

New 10 story Brigham Building 287K sq ft in Ballantyne on Community House Road with parking garage. There is also a sign for about a 10 story hotel coming soon too. I thought I saw some permits for it in the Business Journal a ways back. Anyone know about this new hotel? 

CAM06654.jpg

CAM06653.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hinsp0 said:

But, having been there for several years now, I'm pretty happy with the business park.  It's not as stale as many believe.  Lots of nice walking trails.  My main complaint is that a car trip is required to do almost anything in the area, and, aside from some areas of the business park, the Ballantyne area is not pedestrian friendly.

I know Ballantyne is not the most urban places but I do think it's a very important development.  It's a southern outpost for high end office space and it's connected to the 485 even though it's the worst exit in terms of congestion.  It places less emphasis on Uptown.  

Personally I hope that 4 or 5 Ballantyne type developments eventually get developed around the 485 as that will help lessen congestion in the city center.  The River district will be one.  University are will be another.   I hope where 74 meets the 485 becomes one as well.  Especially after 74 is upgraded.

1 hour ago, cjd5050 said:

I know Ballantyne is not the most urban places but I do think it's a very important development.  It's a southern outpost for high end office space and it's connected to the 485 even though it's the worst exit in terms of congestion.  It places less emphasis on Uptown.  

Personally I hope that 4 or 5 Ballantyne type developments eventually get developed around the 485 as that will help lessen congestion in the city center.  The River district will be one.  University are will be another.   I hope where 74 meets the 485 becomes one as well.  Especially after 74 is upgraded.

Maaaan, the reason I like living around Uptown is specifically because the traffic is very manageable. It's worse everywhere else because destinations are more spread out.

I hear what you're saying about more office hubs. Though they won't do what we want them to do unless they are built similarly to Uptown in an urban way, and (pre-emptively) designed around future transit.

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

Egads. Really?  4-5 more Ballantynes?   Do you really think congestion is that bad uptown?  It's worse in downtown Davidson or Pineville. We loved living uptown in The Trademark because, 90% of the time, traffic was practically non-existent. When there was traffic, except for the occasional 4th of July or Panthers Game, we could scoot in and out without any delays.

This new generation ("Climate Generation") better start worrying more about sustainable living, growing trees, and letting Earth recuperate than plowing along the old mantra of bulldozing every bit of open space and calling it progress.

My comment was more around the expected population spike for Charlotte in the next 20 years.  If 'all roads lead to Uptown' that places a tremendous amount of stress on infrastructure development.  That said, if Charlotte has 4 to 5 large employment clusters that are on the first ring / 485 of the metro area that can reduce this stress.  

I think a reasonable bike commute is less than 5 miles.  Johnston/Ballantyne Commons is about 5 miles to Providence/Ballantyne Commons.  That's a pretty large radius.  Now I don't know how many folks wearing suits at MetLife are going to ride a bike but I am sure there are lots of workers in that area.  You then add in people commuting to Ballantyne from say a 10 mile radius.  This can be done on side roads rather than the interstate.   It's a heck of a difference between commuting from Weddington to Ballantyne than Weddington to Uptown.  

If Charlotte had several of these draws I think you can remove a lot of the stress on needing to build or expand massive highway projects.