Ballantyne

underoak

Look at the Campus B option video from Ballantyne and you will see parts of the golf course go "missing"   I don't know if that greenspace between the buildings is the world's largest putting green or what?   http://www.ballantynecorporate.com/build-to-suit/   One thing I like is taller buildings.  However if reports on this thread are correct the next office building will be along Ballantyne Corp. Place which has a blank grassy area now.  I still hope they don't remove the golf course for I think they can add so much density on the other side of Ballatyne Corp. Park where there is so much surface parking. 

^^I will have to try that Lorenzo's out next time I am down that way. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Cabo Fish Taco coming to Ballantyne! in front of the new Wells Fargo tower there on N Community House Rd. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/07/popular-baja-style-restaurant-in-noda-adding.html

I like everything about Cabo except the fish tacos unfortunately...

Culturally, this location will be a weird fit.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Interesting bit in the CO regarding 'Ballantyne' creating South City Partners and looking to become a full-fledged "municipal service district," similar to Charlotte Center City Partners or University City Partners.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article212651814.html

Interesting indeed. I wonder what they'll come up with and what they'll be able to accomplish. As much as I try, I just cannot make myself like that part of town. And the hell of trying to drive through it is only 1/3 of the reason why.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, saamh said:

Exactly why the light rail needs to be extended to Ballantyne... anybody familiar with the DC area can see what a difference the Silver Line has made for the Tyson’s Corner area... Light rail can improve development in Ballantyne and South Park area for that matter

Unless you know of a way to force Pineville to accept the light rail...it's not going to happen, sadly.    

13 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Unless you know of a way to force Pineville to accept the light rail...it's not going to happen, sadly.    

Could you run the light rail from the I-485 station to the I-485 ROW and run it along the 485 within the ROW all the way to Ballantyne without Pineville interjecting? Assuming no stop is made in Pineville.

2 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

I don't know that Pineville would have a choice if hypothetically the ROW went through property whose owners were willing to sell or if the ROW was along state roads, neither of which the town of Pineville would control.  I am not sure but I imagine Pineville didn't actually stop the Blue line from going into town per se as much as they just made a stink about it and CATS voluntarily dropped the idea.  IIRC their fundamental objection to the line occurred because the proposed ROW was to take the line right into the middle of downtown Pineville and they thought it would alter the character of the town for the worse.  An extension of the Blue line to Ballantyne probably would not go through what is considered downtown Pineville, and even if it did I don't know the same objections from 11-12 years ago would still exist.   

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I don't know that Pineville would have a choice if hypothetically the ROW went through property whose owners were willing to sell or if the ROW was along state roads, neither of which the town of Pineville would control.  I am not sure but I imagine Pineville didn't actually stop the Blue line from going into town per se as much as they just made a stink about it and CATS voluntarily dropped the idea.  IIRC their fundamental objection to the line occurred because the proposed ROW was to take the line right into the middle of downtown Pineville and they thought it would alter the character of the town for the worse.  An extension of the Blue line to Ballantyne probably would not go through what is considered downtown Pineville, and even if it did I don't know the same objections from 11-12 years ago would still exist.   

Good points.  

I think the objections may be removed but I also think the opportunity has been squandered.  I hope I am wrong and they are able to run it to Ballantyne.    Would do wonders for me personally.  

• Like 2

I imagine the powers-that-be in Pineville are now regretting their decision on the blue line. The traffic on both Polk and Main are horrible mornings and afternoons and without any other viable routes through this town it's only going to get worse.

But getting back to Ballantyne, hopefully the new SCP can come up with a cohesive plan sooner rather than later. I think I remember hearing somewhere that the new owners of Ballantyne (can't recall who it is at the moment) plan on increasing the density in the area. A masterplan is greatly needed before that happens. What better a time than before the area REALLY kicks into high gear.

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Good points.  

I think the objections may be removed but I also think the opportunity has been squandered.  I hope I am wrong and they are able to run it to Ballantyne.    Would do wonders for me personally.  

John Lewis mentioned the possibility of extending the blue line to Ballantyne  to a local news outlet a few months ago, but I can't remember exactly which one.  I think such an extension makes too much sense, especially considering the nightmare that is the stretch of 485 between Ballantyne and Pineville plus the explosive growth both in Ballantyne area and in upper SC areas such as Ft Mill and Indian Land.

I am glad that the new Ballantyne group is looking at more constructive advocacy efforts to advance their cause as opposed to threatening to deannex themselves and form a new town.  In my opinion if the previous deannexation effort would have been successful it could have been a real body blow to Charlotte.  And considering the entire region rises and falls with Charlotte, it would have been destructive not only to Charlotte but to the entire region,  including their new [hypothetical] town.

• Like 3

Ballantyne today.  Maybe not your 1st choice of a place to work but it is a beautiful setting and many companies like it such as Bank of America (which owns a building there), TIAA, Brighthouse Financial, Wells Fargo, SPX, Premier etc.  2nd photo to last are of the new Wells Fargo totally leased building where the new Cabo Fish Taco is coming in front of the parking deck there along with  a Which Which. 

IMG_9891.JPG

IMG_9892.JPG

IMG_9894.JPG

IMG_9896.JPG

IMG_9899.JPG

IMG_9900.JPG

IMG_9901.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

Ballantyne still has time to change for the better. I think if instead of building office parks, they just built the buildings on the road and make it public to all, therefore, you can put ground floor retail etc, and make the whole area less private and more open. 

Across 485 from the heart of Ballantyne, Trinity Capital is about to start on a new speculative building in the Toringdon Office Park.  While there is some risk involved, I find speculative offices particularly exciting for Charlotte because they sometimes land HQ relocations when companies are looking for large amounts of contiguous space.

Toringdon.jpg.5c0e71de69b29f355525a6b37103d94d.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/12/charlotte-developer-going-speculative-on-office.html

• Like 3