Ballantyne

underoak

Wish Ballantyne got a little more height. One thing I don’t like about Ballantyne is the office park aspect, I get it but it’s pointless at the same time. Ballantyne is already decently appealing to young workers and workers with families. If office buildings were built right on the road with retail on the bottom, Perferabbly in a row much like the towers in Uptown, It’d be a much more lively neighborhood. Shopping and restaurants wouldn’t be confined to shopping centers, They could sprawl throughout the neighborhood and make it more walkable yet still be functional for workers.

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Wish Ballantyne got a little more height. One thing I don’t like about Ballantyne is the office park aspect, I get it but it’s pointless at the same time. Ballantyne is already decently appealing to young workers and workers with families. If office buildings were built right on the road with retail on the bottom, Perferabbly in a row much like the towers in Uptown, It’d be a much more lively neighborhood. Shopping and restaurants wouldn’t be confined to shopping centers, They could sprawl throughout the neighborhood and make it more walkable yet still be functional for workers.

I don't love Ballantyne but it was never going to be what you describe.  EVERY city I visit has suburban office parks like Ballantyne.  Believe it or not, a lot of people love working and living in Ballantyne.  My issue is when suburban type buildings are built in the heart of Uptown (there are several, including the recently opened Embassy Suites).  Let the suburbs be suburban and the city be urban.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'm rooting for in Ballantyne is for Northwood to come up with a good redevelopment plan for a portion of the Office Park.  Trying to possibly make more of an Urban Core for the area.  Not changing all of the surburban layout but maybe just in a portion of the Park having Mixed Uses.  And definitely more building heights absolutely.  Certain areas could easily support 15 or more floors.  Most of the residential subdivision areas are shrouded in mature trees and spread far and wide across Ballantyne and wouldn't even be imposed upon much if at all by taller Office/Hospitality construction.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:24 AM, J-Rob said:

Across 485 from the heart of Ballantyne, Trinity Capital is about to start on a new speculative building in the Toringdon Office Park.  While there is some risk involved, I find speculative offices particularly exciting for Charlotte because they sometimes land HQ relocations when companies are looking for large amounts of contiguous space.

Toringdon.jpg.5c0e71de69b29f355525a6b37103d94d.jpg

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/12/charlotte-developer-going-speculative-on-office.html

I love the height of Toringdon 7 and the view it'll have from I-485.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Blakeney House, the centerpiece of a thriving and well known farm for many years, was home to the Blakeney family and famous in its time as one of the finest cotton farms in the region. The Charlotte News reported the first bale of cotton was delivered by Mr. Blakeney, as had been true for some years prior. The platform mentioned in the article below was likely the wharf between Third and Fourth streets along the rail line. The rail line was on grade then with no underpasses. Cotton factors worked there and had offices. Elsewhere it is reported that the peak of cotton growing in Mecklenburg was 1910 which associates to the rise of automobiles, development of rural land for other uses and the increase of urban population and decline of rural population.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7371707/james_blakeney_brings_in_first_bale_of/

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

When I was a kid "The Suburbs" was everything south of Uptown, extending to the newly-planned Ballantyne. My family's St Matthew's Catholic Church (who had mass in their gym, pre-amphitheater style building) had cows grazing across the street, on what is now Stonecrest shopping center.

I never imagined the mire of suburban hellscape, where a teenager couldn't walk anywhere in shade, where no youth could bike anywhere comfortably or in safety, would keep expanding southward with such intensity. In my naivety I assumed we were learning our lesson and would slowly wean out this method of community building that was so cut-off from natural human needs. I also didn't think New Yorkers would keep coming here to fill up these neighborhoods, that they'd see these places and think "why are they still building this way?"

Blakney, and what's happening down Lancaster Hwy, and in Waxhaw, blew my mind as I saw them happening. Even as a youth I always wondered why we kept building new instead of changing how we do it in existing areas. Kids need to bike places without their parents! But I didn't yet know about financing, land use policy, and cultural relativism.

I was young and stupid, as they say. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

These 300 new jobs are going to to SPX Building where they offered some space for lease in their 9 story building.  This job announcement with its training academy will create many hotel nights for south Charlotte and from what I hear occupancy in the Ballantyne area is very high right now.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/09/25/photos-dental-manufacturer-unveils-3-3m-expansion.html

• Like 3

On 9/27/2018 at 4:54 PM, KJHburg said:

8 story now under construction Toringdon 7 building

And just found out that a new mid-rise apartment complex is starting site work across North Community House Rd -- at the traffic light.

There's already an apartment complex on right behind EarthFare, but apparently that is not enough.

• Like 3

I just read a site detailing planning for future phases of Ballantyne Village which may answer some questions but not totally sure if it's accurate or viable.  I'll upload shortly.  

Uploaded the article.  Supposedly could be phases as high as 12 stories (built atop existing deck) and or other buildings high as 25 stories.  Not sure where the footprint(s) would be as there's not much space in Ballantyne Village.

IMG_0589.PNG

• Like 4

This is a parking lot surface lot adjacent to the theater that could be the site of hotel according to its ownership name.  It is .63 acres  Zoned CC  It was purchased in July 2017 for $3.5 million.   The address below is affiliated with Carolina States Regional Center who developed the Blu apartments in University city area. 

Parcel ID GIS ID
22354106 22354106
Address located on Property (Postal City)
14819 BALLANTYNE VILLAGE WY CHARLOTTE NC 28277
Owner Name Mailing Address
BALLANTNE VILLAGE HOTELS LLC

6101 CARNEGIE BV STE 103
CHARLOTTE NC 28209

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1