Ballantyne

underoak

Density in the Ballantyne area is pretty heavy.  I'd love to see some attention to more High Rise construction in the Corporate Park and nearby areas.  Someone mentioned that Southpark could develop into a 2nd High Rise District - I hope that Ballantyne-Toringdon area starts to garner more high rises and make a skyline statement. 

• Like 2

Ballantyne drive bys.  There are 5 10-story office buildings and one 9 story building (SPX) currently.   As land is running out they are expected to build taller.

1. SPX Bldg where the new dental firm expanding took some space. 9 stories.  

2. 3. Harris and Boyle Buildings both 10 stories where Premier has a whole 10 story building. 

4. 5. Woodward and Gragg buildings both 10 stories where Brighthouse is. 

6. 10 story Wells Fargo building is behind the parking garage. that is where Cabo Fish Taco is going and some other restaurants. 

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

• Like 4

Very true statement - I just found on accela that an 11 story building is planned for Ballantyne Corporate Place not far from the SPX Building.  Also - confirmed that planned Office/Hospitality High Rise Building at Btyne Village is also under review on Accela.  Seems like they'll be more cranes soon.  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Novant wants to build a hospital just south of Ballantyne at 521 and Marvin Road.  This seems to be in response to Atriums new proposed hospital near Stallings in western Union county.   The hospital approval wars are on again.  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article220111000.html?utm_source=Business+North+Carolina+Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=2bc7988451-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_10_17_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7ae5defd0d-2bc7988451-122553233#new_tab

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ballantyne continues its strong growth with office, retail and residential throughout.  The suburban layout is fantastic but not sure how the local roads can handle anymore increased traffic.  

I understand River District is supposed to be the 'new Ballantyne' in the coming decades but does anyone think the local schools on the West Side would hinder that?  A lot of folks move to Ballantyne for the area schools I'm told.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

EIFS - ???

I been hearing about this on UP so went out to find some.  Is this EIFS being used on this Hotel being built at Rea Rd & I-485?  Looks like some type of exterior Styrofoam then slathered with Grout.  All insulated and waterproof.

in a nutshell, EIFS = styrofoam slathered with grout

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Parking Wars Charlotte edition has started up again.   Part of the pavement is being torn up at the Ballantyne Village shopping center.  I saw this first hand about a month ago and I thought it was new construction too.  Refresher someone owns the shopping center and some of the parking lots are owned by someone else.  Here is the WCNC report on it. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/ballantyne/asphalt-broken-up-in-apparent-parking-dispute/275-d9d4ea62-4429-48a3-bb8f-d6aeffc4de75

Maybe A&E will come down and film some episodes. I always loved that show and especially from my old haunting ground of Philadelphia. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Parking Wars Charlotte edition has started up again.   Part of the pavement is being torn up at the Ballantyne Village shopping center.  I saw this first hand about a month ago and I thought it was new construction too.  Refresher someone owns the shopping center and some of the parking lots are owned by someone else.  Here is the WCNC report on it. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/local/ballantyne/asphalt-broken-up-in-apparent-parking-dispute/275-d9d4ea62-4429-48a3-bb8f-d6aeffc4de75

Maybe A&E will come down and film some episodes. I always loved that show and especially from my old haunting ground of Philadelphia. 

Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, grodney said:

PotBelly is open now in the bottom of the parking deck on N. Comm House.  

Cabo Fish Taco next door is coming along, but not open yet.

Good luck getting in at lunch time!  Those of us in the WF building will be so happy that there is something that we can actually WALK to within a one minute timeframe - it will be PACKED!  I cannot speak to the other buildings next to us though!

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone know if there is still an office building planned at Ballantyne Village? I thought I read something about it on here but I may be wrong.

It's not in Ballantyne village but Northwood has a building teed up. Suspect wells Fargo will take it.

9 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone know if there is still an office building planned at Ballantyne Village? I thought I read something about it on here but I may be wrong.

The project at Ballantyne Village is being financed by the federal EB-5 funding program, as is the Intercontinental in Uptown. (Cynically, EB-5 sells US Green cards to foreigners if they are willing to invest a lot of money in risky projects and make below market returns)

That program is having issues at the moment, some related to fraud, but the bigger issues are the increasing wait times for green cards, which is making investors nervous.