Ballantyne

underoak

9 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone know if there is still an office building planned at Ballantyne Village? I thought I read something about it on here but I may be wrong.

I work in Ballantyne Village and my understanding is they are replacing the theater with a hotel.  Also, not sure if this was mentioned but Rush Espresso & Be.Good were robbed about a month or so ago.  Then in mid-February Rush Espresso closed :(  there is absolutely nowhere to get good coffee now in Ballantyne.  Starbucks and Terrace Cafe’s coffee is like water lol

1 minute ago, 49er said:

There's a big project planned for the parking lot next to the theater - $55,000,000. I think it's a hotel but not sure.  The ownership that is listed is a hotel group. 

There are potentially two towers planned for each adjacent parking area to the building with the theater. First one is 16-18 stories I believe, mixture of office and hotel.

• Like 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I lived in the Ballantyne area for two years and thought that it was ok.  SouthPark is much nicer.

I agree! I lived in Ballantyne for 4 years and now I live in South Park.  The only reason why I go to Ballantyne is because of work.  Otherwise there’s really no reason to go there unless you want to eat at a chain restaurant or go to the movies :)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I agree! I lived in Ballantyne for 4 years and now I live in South Park.  The only reason why I go to Ballantyne is because of work.  Otherwise there’s really no reason to go there unless you want to eat at a chain restaurant or go to the movies :)

True.  The movie theatre at Phillps Place is better than Stonecrest too.

On 3/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, SydneyCarton said:

True.  The movie theatre at Phillps Place is better than Stonecrest too.

Agree on South Park > Ballantyne , but Stonecrest is one of the few reasons I still drive down there.  It's much nicer than Philips Place in terms of seating and screens. I'm really hoping the new RH building will drive them to update the theater also, because it is very aged at this point.

• Like 3

Follow up on my earlier post - 14 story hotel and office space for the above mentioned project. Not sure if it's all in one building or not. Ballantyne is slowly going through the same density and infill changes that Southpark has witnessed. I would be more excited about projects like this if transit were available here. 

9 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

No way!  Phillips Place at this point is one of the worst theaters around IMHO.   Long lines for concessions.  No recliners or reserved seats.  No beer/wine options.  And the crowds there show it.   I still drive out of my way to Regal Stonecrest for any big movie and I live < 2m from Philips Place. 

Phillips Place is a nice theater, but they're more expensive than New Market Regal up in Boone, and they have no competition! One of the biggest shock's to me, and later on to my brother when we moved back to Charlotte was that you could see a new release for 7-8 bucks, I paid 11-12 last time I went there if I recall. I know it was a double digit number even before tax. 

Drove up from Waxhaw through Indian Land to Ballantyne today.  The growth in Indian Land is unbelievable (and now so is the traffic) 

Here is a new Holiday Inn near the Sprouts of US 521 just south of Ballantyne and some very bright new yellow apartments next to Elevation Church.  

On the KJ listening tour I was inquiring about the new hotel at the Ballantyne Village and was told it would be on the surface lot at the west (towards Pineville) end of the shops.  There is still legal issues with the owner of the parking lots and the owner of the shopping center itself a merchant told me.  

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Ballantyne is going to remain one of the most sought after, affluent areas of the state regardless of how many robberies and break ins occur. Crime is everywhere. 

Exactly. Battantyne is growing rapidly and densifying at the same time. Those two things mean higher crime by simple statistics.

I think Ballantyne is going become more dense as well as they have approvals in hand to build a lot more office space but not much vacant land. However I think they need to do some midrise residential in the park to attract more tenants.    They have really strong competition now from Southpark which is urbanizing rapidly then of course South End and Uptown.    It is certainly no hellhole and every city today has great suburban office parks this is ours just needs some tweaking. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Drove up from Waxhaw through Indian Land to Ballantyne today.  The growth in Indian Land is unbelievable (and now so is the traffic) 

Here is a new Holiday Inn near the Sprouts of US 521 just south of Ballantyne and some very bright new yellow apartments next to Elevation Church.  

On the KJ listening tour I was inquiring about the new hotel at the Ballantyne Village and was told it would be on the surface lot at the west (towards Pineville) end of the shops.  There is still legal issues with the owner of the parking lots and the owner of the shopping center itself a merchant told me.  

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1931.JPG

Indianland has set a record for the Charlotte region. That is six (6) support wires for one utility pole.  Charlotte city hangs head.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

It was nice of the county to provide this helpful image illustrating why sprawl reduces productivity. In a world where money is made by skilled people interacting with other skilled people this may be the stupidest arrangement of space possible.

I am at a loss here @kermit -- you call Ballantyne "the stupidest arrangement of space possible" yet, "In a world where money is made by skilled people interacting with other skilled people" this "stupid arrangement of space" IS the single largest real estate transaction in Carolina history and the 3rd largest in the entire nation for that year.

This was privately developed. When I first moved to Charlotte in the 90's there was nothing but an intersection... and out of that nothing, they were able to create the single largest real estate transaction in Carolina history. For an area that had nothing but trees and shrubs, that is pretty impressive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Maybe what he was referring to was not the land itself but use of the land. Wasted space unused in between all those buildings.

Oh, I got that. But neither of you seem to acknowledge that this is not done by some entity with unlimited funds.

The entire development started with surface lots. Then as it filled up and demand remained, the newer towers all have garages.  That is typically how these things work (especially when you have 2000 acres to play with).  Capital wise it would have been suicidal for them to try to build more densely in the beginning of the project.

12 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

It all could've been built denser, better serving those skilled people by putting all of them closer together.

If I remember correctly, the majority of the office buildings were built speculatively and filled up before being completed. So, it would seem all those people were more then okay with what was being delivered and keep signing those leases.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1