Ballantyne

underoak

9 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

While it looks impressive, I'm not so sure I want Ballantyne to become that big, or attract certain companies from Uptown. So far Charlotte is doing ok in not becoming Atlanta or wore, Houston. 

I think it just comes with the territory though. Similarly I could see a major company or two relocate to South Park if we get a rail spur there and further density.

Rising tide lifts all boats I suppose, and having secondary hub employment centers would help to distribute future traffic growth.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

While it looks impressive, I'm not so sure I want Ballantyne to become that big, or attract certain companies from Uptown. So far Charlotte is doing ok in not becoming Atlanta or wore, Houston. 

For the city to have a diversified economy, you need several types of sub markets for office space.  Not all companies can afford or want the premium office space that's offered uptown, doesn't mean we don't want them to relocate or expand here in Charlotte.  The best way to keep Charlotte from becoming another Houston or Atlanta is updated zoning and better transit options I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoDoSoPa said:
11 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

For the city to have a diversified economy, you need several types of sub markets for office space.  Not all companies can afford or want the premium office space that's offered uptown, doesn't mean we don't want them to relocate or expand here in Charlotte.  The best way to keep Charlotte from becoming another Houston or Atlanta is updated zoning and better transit options I think.

You're both kinda right IMO.  If there is a transit stop here, it makes things a lot better.  More density in Ballantyne as an alternative to something like the river district or other random office parks getting built would be preferable.  Without transit, Ballantyne is already about a much of a cluster as I think it should be.  We do have the face the fact that large cities are going to have offices in the suburbs at times.

Either way though, everything Charlotte can do to increase density Uptown and nearby should be the highest priority  However, rail transit isn't a silver (hah) bullet....particularly with the mismanagement of CATS.  It is going to take a lot more road diets and bike/scooter lanes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

You're both kinda right IMO.  If there is a transit stop here, it makes things a lot better.  More density in Ballantyne as an alternative to something like the river district or other random office parks getting built would be preferable.  Without transit, Ballantyne is already about a much of a cluster as I think it should be.  We do have the face the fact that large cities are going to have offices in the suburbs at times.

Either way though, everything Charlotte can do to increase density Uptown and nearby should be the highest priority  However, rail transit isn't a silver (hah) bullet....particularly with the mismanagement of CATS.  It is going to take a lot more road diets and bike/scooter lanes.

And also the more built closer together in a denser center city, the easier it will be to provide alternative transportation options. Charlotte is still a manageable footprint if we as a society decide quickly to transition off being auto dependent. 

• Like 1

Ballantyne needs more density if transit especially rail ever gets there in the future.  And I do agree we need multiple options for companies as EVERY other market has and uptown will always be the best mixed used option in this region.  

Don't rag on Houston.  Their transit ridership is growing and the have the best skate parks in the country.  Hov lanes and bus rapid transit is expansive. Yes it is a sprawling metro of 6 M plus. And don't get me started on Tex Mex lol

But this is good for Charlotte and for Ballantyne this town center densification plan.

• Like 2

I’ve seen people invoking Atlanta & Houston. But you know what this absolutely reminds me of? The Domain in Austin. If the renderings end up true to life it even looks a bit like The Domain as well. 

Domain is the inspiration

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

And also the more built closer together in a denser center city, the easier it will be to provide alternative transportation options. Charlotte is still a manageable footprint if we as a society decide quickly to transition off being auto dependent. 

That is correct.  It is just concerning that some of Uptown is so dense and some parts (like 1st and 2nd ward) can be so barren.  Combined with concentration of jobs here, it just still feels like so much of the city is a thoroughfare to get people in and out for certain parts of the day/events.  At least we have our first separated bike lane, but that is just a start.

I read Tyson’s is home to 7-10 Fortune 500 HQ’s. 

I think even the most dense and large cities outside of NYC have suburban office centers similar to Ballantyne. It’s not necessarily a Houston/Atlanta thing. 

Also. People rag on CLT for larger city limits (for whatever reason?). But Charlotte gets a lot more tax revenue so.... as long as we can keep companies in Charlotte vs. Union or across the border, good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I read Tyson’s is home to 7-10 Fortune 500 HQ’s. 

I think even the most dense and large cities outside of NYC have suburban office centers similar to Ballantyne. It’s not necessarily a Houston/Atlanta thing. 

Also. People rag on CLT for larger city limits (for whatever reason?). But Charlotte gets a lot more tax revenue so.... as long as we can keep companies in Charlotte vs. Union or across the border, good. 

That is a very good point, although that area has threatened to split in the past.

2 hours ago, Muggsy01 said:

I’ve seen people invoking Atlanta & Houston. But you know what this absolutely reminds me of? The Domain in Austin. If the renderings end up true to life it even looks a bit like The Domain as well. 

Northwood owner of Ballantyne owns many of the office buildings at the Domain in Austin FYI 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The  Ballantyne build out is over 10 plus years or so.  The town center is first but the other west side of the park with the more surface lots is many years off. 

Ballantyne is an employment center for south Charlotte, Indian Land and Waxhaw.  I  can't tell you how many people I know who work in Ballantyne but live in Union County many many people.    But more roads and transit will be needed for sure.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jasons0013 said:

Roads will not be able to support this madness. Already avoid that area because of the guaranteed traffic cluster.

Let's just stop growing... cancel all development. How exactly are you different from NIMBY's?

Oh, and thank you for taking one for the team and not driving in the "traffic cluster".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Let's just stop growing... cancel all development. How exactly are you different from NIMBY's?

Oh, and thank you for taking one for the team and not driving in the "traffic cluster".

Growth for the sake of growth isn't necessarily the answer either.  Quality over quantity !

11 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Growth for the sake of growth isn't necessarily the answer either.  Quality over quantity !

I love generic statements as well.

It seems the general assumption is that NO-ONE else outside this forum has thought about congestion or public transit when proposing a major new development.

Edited by Scribe

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I love generic statements as well.

But it seems the general assumption is that NO-ONE else outside this forum has thought about congestion or public transit when proposing a major new development.

I really can't tell when you're being sarcastic so I'll drop it for now.  Back to work for me.

Probably should elaborate...

This is a long-term vision proposal (kinda like a CLT Vision 2020 or 2030 for the city, but this is from a private entity for a specific property they own).

You want to have a positive effect on that community get involved with the rezoning process. Go to the public hearings. Ask the pertinent questions.

Just posting ** this #$%^%$# is going to make my commute even worse... it must be stopped** is not really productive.

Edited by Scribe