Ballantyne

underoak

• 2 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

16 story high rise apartment tower and 5 story midrise coming to Ballantyne by Northwood.  Looks suspiciously like Northwood's 550 Stonewall tower but that is okay.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/01/first-look-northwood-ravins-first-ballantyne.html

These units are going to be massive

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

16 story high rise apartment tower and 5 story midrise coming to Ballantyne by Northwood.  Looks suspiciously like Northwood's 550 Stonewall tower but that is okay.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/01/first-look-northwood-ravins-first-ballantyne.html

Nice urban sprawl development inspired by cities that have the perfect formula of crowds / density and car dependency like Los Angeles, Houston, and Tampa. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

What is the tallest building in Ballantyne?

currently it would be one of 4 buildings that are all 10 stories in height the new tallest would be this 11 story office bldg. under construction until this 16 story apartment tower is done.  Not sure it its height.   

• Like 1

I like it, I just wish they would have wrapped the apartments all the way around the parking deck so that they face the road, create more of an urban streetscape.  If Northwood's vision is to create a more urban place with emphasis on walkability, civic spaces, etc. then they're missing the mark here by maintaining the status quo and placing a parking deck right up against a main road.  Baby steps I guess, looking forward to seeing their plan come together.

• Like 2

With the large attached parking deck with easy access to a wide open street, I wonder what percentage of residents will walk to places like Harris Teeter or the movie theater versus drive their Jeep Grand Cherokee or Audi A4? My guess is other than people out for a jog and living a suburban lifestyle with a view, this building will have less residents walking than the townhomes around Costigan Park. The setback from the street with motor court doesn't really contribute to a more urban and walkable street.

Between SPX, the Aloft, the Lodge, Premier, and now this Northwood building.... Ballantyne Corporate Place will essentially be a street of motor courts with parking up against the street and space to drop people off. 

Looks more like we are creating Florida in Charlotte..... doesn't look that different than Northwood Ravin's tower and street interaction. https://goo.gl/maps/cFNzxUNqEQniXQQx9

U8014788_0.jpg

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Higgs Boson said:

These condos will be in that whole golf course redevelopment project right?   I'm curious to see how walkable this whole development becomes once it's built up

these are apartments in the 16 story tower however none of this is on the golf course.  It is expected to be around another year from my last trip there and they do have to get the rezoning to do the Ballantyne redevelopment anyway.  This 16 story tower and the neighboring 11 story tower under construction are both across from the Aloft hotel on Ballantyne Corporate Place Drive. 

• Like 2

Ok my bad.  That Charlotte Ledger article above mentioned 16-story condos and 5-story apartments.  I kinda figured that was misinformation.  Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm not super familiar with this area.  There was a Charlotte Agenda article that a huge development with a main street with shops, restaurants, and apartments where the golf course is... I just assumed these were a part of that.

Edited by Higgs Boson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...