Ballantyne

underoak

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone heard word on how the new Northwood Tower is leasing up?  I am figuring they're waiting to see how this does before breaking ground on their Midtown Residential Tower...

I saw residents in the low rise section moved in and I think the high rise portion is just finishing up.    The midtown tower is in a completely different market so they would not wait I wouldnt think

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

a good number of them but the time frame would be long but there is a lot of multiple tower projects out there. 

More likely than not I believe that most of the residential towers proposed may have the most propensity to be built in the current economic climate, followed by office towers, mixed use towers and then lastly Hotel Towers (Except the ones currently stalled).

So if we get 30 or 40 towers built out of those 57 in the next 10 to 15 years that would be good.  That’s my opinion and prognostication!

• Like 4

Walk about in the Ballantyne Reimagined area today.  Lots of road work and site prep work being done.  Take your kids on a walk and show them the huge earthmoving equipment and trucks as big as houses.   The new Overlook office tower new home of the expanded Credit Karma office and the Japanese based Sompo Insurance.   Tenants have moved in the low rise portion of the apartments.  Still working on the high rise tower portion but nearing completion. 

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4564.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4585.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4590.JPG

IMG_4591.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4597.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Rezoning Requests 2021-160 and 2021-161 are for new CMS High School and Elementary School Sites (@ Torringdon and Ardrey Kell Rd Areas Respectively) which I knew but what I didnt know until I looked at Site Plans was they are both proposed with 420 & 430 Apartments each for 850 total (Does include a few Townhomes) units.  How are these proposed schools going to ease overcrowding when high density is proposed right along with the schools themselves?  Seems like same thing with that K-8 STEAM School at Rea Farms and the coming Ballantyne Reimagined will bring thousands more residents to the schools as well.  Does CMS going in with a Developer like this at least save the School System any $$?  I’m sure it doesn’t help with school overcrowding….

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

Surely the school capacity is being planned with current area population + expected population within mentioned development in mind. And if these rezoning really are for NEW schools and not relocations/rebuilds then it will absolutely ease overcrowding (at least for the short term). 

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 4

On 12/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Rezoning Requests 2021-160 and 2021-161 are for new CMS High School and Elementary School Sites (@ Torringdon and Ardrey Kell Rd Areas Respectively) which I knew but what I didnt know until I looked at Site Plans was they are both proposed with 420 & 430 Apartments each for 850 total (Does include a few Townhomes) units.  How are these proposed schools going to ease overcrowding when high density is proposed right along with the schools themselves?  Seems like same thing with that K-8 STEAM School at Rea Farms and the coming Ballantyne Reimagined will bring thousands more residents to the schools as well.  Does CMS going in with a Developer like this at least save the School System any $$?  I’m sure it doesn’t help with school overcrowding….

It helps over crowding because they are adding a HS that will probably house 2500+ students.  They aren't just moving a high school.  As for new apartments on-site creating issues with overcrowding...are we really expecting out of county high school kids to be moving here?  Sure some people might move there so that they can go to that school...but then that opens a spot at another school.  EVERY high school is overcrowded (except for where my kid goes, Northwest School for the Arts LOL).  And from my experience in apartment living, new apartments rarely have high school teenagers.  When I got divorced and lived in an apartment for a few years, I think my large apartment complex had maybe 4 high school kids.  Way more elementary, and just 2 middle school kids.

As for adding apartments and townhomes...I am sure working with a developer is helping offset some of the school building costs.  

• Thanks 1

Edit:  You mentioned "out of county kids moving here" and I understood that to mean the student and the family come as one. To be certain that others understand what is involved if they read that as the student alone comes I offer this below.

As a point of information to the above post, for those students seeking to attend CMS schools at any level and whose legal guardians do not reside within the county, a tuition payment is required which is usually the per pupil allocation by the Board of Education. I do not know the current figure but it would be a significant amount for most families. Residency must be proven by documents. Students residing with a relative with a notarized statement is insufficient to qualify as legal change of guardianship. Guardianship transfer is a legal process and cumbersome, as it should be, to eliminate hasty decisions. In my years working at schools I saw a handful of such situations with payment. They usually lasted a few months. Many more who attempted without payment were refused and went elsewhere. Such tuition students may be disqualified from participating in non academic activities as well. There are some qualifications; special cases such as state guardianship (DSS), some military families and others.

Our taxes pay for our students and no others.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1