Ballantyne

underoak

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, KJHburg said:

Walked the new "park" today and got some photos of the new 16 story apartment tower and the new 11 story office tower.   the apartment tower looks very much their 550 Stonewall tower uptown. 

Walking trails plus new high rise construction nearby my kinda of a park.  

here is the phasing of Ballantyne Reimagined and phase 1 infrastructure is underway now.  the park is in Phase 2 zone

PHASING | Ballantyne Reimagined (projectballantyne.com)

IMG_7754.JPG

IMG_7762.JPG

IMG_7763.JPG

IMG_7763.JPG

IMG_7764.JPG

IMG_7766.JPG

IMG_7768.JPG

IMG_7770.JPG

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7780.JPG

IMG_7795.JPG

IMG_7796.JPG

IMG_7798.JPG

IMG_7815.JPG

IMG_7816.JPG

Getting major Aventura FL vibes ESPECIALLY from the 16floor apartments with those balconies.  Just Google Aventura+Turnberry+Resort and see what you think. Wow.

I was looking at the Ballantyne Reimagined site and noticed that Phase I renderings include two new surface parking lots, and a third large one at the grocery site. This is on top of the surface lots at the Aloft hotel, Ballantyne Resort, and The Lodge. As long as these remain undeveloped I would not expect this project to have the urban feel that developers are touting. I'm very grateful that 260 units of affordable housing (+lots more) are replacing a golf course, but I sense that this project is going to be a major letdown

2021-04-21-Ballantyne-EastSide-MasterPlan17-1200x724.thumb.jpeg.8fe1058b4007d369b48ace3c1b8acdf3.jpeg

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, buildleft said:

I was looking at the Ballantyne Reimagined site and noticed that Phase I renderings include two new surface parking lots, and a third large one...I sense that this project is going to be a major letdown

I still contend that if Ballantyne's overlords are ever *truly* serious about making it feel like a real place and not a (IMO) soulless corporate park that people also happen to inhabit, they will disassemble those wastes of space arches at the main intersection--and think of places needing a little TLC or visual interest where they can be reassembled--and in their place, on all four corners of Johnston and Ballantyne Commons Pkway, build four (multistory) structures abutting (improved) sidewalks, so that it at least the place has the look and maybe the feel of a real town center. It wouldn't disturb that much of the extant surface lot parking, and each building could be planned for the types of tenants that could operate in a standalone structure with no need for a loading dock, etc. They'd have all the parking they needed for customers, right there.  

Until that happens, I don't take anything going on in Ballantyne too seriously. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WxJuan said:

How did we go from this,

9A5B729C-63BB-4298-93B2-C2550DE69E2F.thumb.png.9794e87779fdcb60b8e4335e214e9528.png

to this,

DEFB5583-7739-4A7F-B702-7FECF466C0B3.thumb.png.bf94e36338b299a449702135ce03d059.png

It does seem a bit scaled back.  I wonder when this happened?

3 hours ago, ertley said:

I still contend that if Ballantyne's overlords are ever *truly* serious about making it feel like a real place and not a (IMO) soulless corporate park that people also happen to inhabit, they will disassemble those wastes of space arches at the main intersection--and think of places needing a little TLC or visual interest where they can be reassembled--and in their place, on all four corners of Johnston and Ballantyne Commons Pkway, build four (multistory) structures abutting (improved) sidewalks, so that it at least the place has the look and maybe the feel of a real town center. It wouldn't disturb that much of the extant surface lot parking, and each building could be planned for the types of tenants that could operate in a standalone structure with no need for a loading dock, etc. They'd have all the parking they needed for customers, right there.  

I for one am still excited about how they’re going to try and make the area more interesting and alittle less car centric.  The thing about Ballantyne is that it never truly felt like it has a town center.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ertley said:

That intersection will always be a major traffic thoroughfare, the "town center" needs to be in an area where pedestrians can actually feel safe moving about.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, buildleft said:

I was looking at the Ballantyne Reimagined site and noticed that Phase I renderings include two new surface parking lots, and a third large one at the grocery site. This is on top of the surface lots at the Aloft hotel, Ballantyne Resort, and The Lodge. As long as these remain undeveloped I would not expect this project to have the urban feel that developers are touting. I'm very grateful that 260 units of affordable housing (+lots more) are replacing a golf course, but I sense that this project is going to be a major letdown

It's because it's the Phase 1 rendering. They're not building out all 3,000 MF units at once, so there's surface parking there in the interim. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Prodev said:

It's because it's the Phase 1 rendering. They're not building out all 3,000 MF units at once, so there's surface parking there in the interim. 

Whew!!  It seemed like when the Rezoning was approved, that Phase I would be larger and more robust than what’s occurring now.  I for one am glad that they haven’t scaled back the plans but rather will build it out in more manageable segments based upon the economic environment.  Hopefully NWR will sell a few lots to other developers as time goes on with this project.

I know Ballantyne gets a lot of flack from some here but I think it’s a very important part of the City.  Also - even if the Transit Referendum fails to materialize, I think extension of the Blue Line to Ballantyne Reimagined will happen even if that’s the only Lightrail project.  I think it would be feasible financially.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned with the massive surface parking at the planned grocery store on Community House than I am with the incremental phasing of residential density.  I think they could be more forward thinking and mimic what Publix did in South End and leave a chunk of that would-be asphalt wasteland as a simple grass lot that future residents could use until a more dense plan comes along later.  They don't need to do any major landscaping.  Just keep it mowed so people can throw a ball, fly a kite, have a picnic, whatever. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

I'm more concerned with the massive surface parking at the planned grocery store on Community House than I am with the incremental phasing of residential density.  I think they could be more forward thinking and mimic what Publix did in South End and leave a chunk of that would-be asphalt wasteland as a simple grass lot that future residents could use until a more dense plan comes along later.  They don't need to do any major landscaping.  Just keep it mowed so people can throw a ball, fly a kite, have a picnic, whatever. 

that is what I suspect will be Wegmans and they would need the parking believe me.  As the buildout of the former golf course will take years I think Northwood is providing green space for the short term and incorporating  a lot of it in their plans even as phase 2 is completed.  As mentioned in the southend thread some of the low rise apartment complexes will be probably redeveloped in the future.  A forest of high rises in Ballantyne is not going happen for a long while if ever.  It will be a mix of mid rise residential and some high rises as the market dictates. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I am up in Wake County and big news down in Ballantyne.  Ballantyne Reimagined.

""The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery is expanding its footprint to Ballantyne. The longtime Charlotte brewery will be the anchor tenant at The Bowl at Ballantyne. That’s an upcoming urban district for food, entertainment and shopping.  It’s part of the Ballantyne Reimagined project by Northwood Investors and affiliates. Northwood acquired Ballantyne Corporate Park in 2017 for more than $1 billion.  “When it comes to the local craft beer scene, OMB started it all, and having an award-winning brewery plant its flag in south Charlotte sets the stage for all the exciting food and beverage offerings to come,” says Jonathan Stewart, vice president of leasing at Northwood Retail.  Plans call for OMB to operate its signature biergarten and restaurant there. It will have a standalone building with 14,000 square feet of indoor space. Another 7,000 square feet will be dedicated to patio dining, with a second-level mezzanine. It will overlook a 1-acre biergarten with a family zone and playground at one end.  ""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/03/15/ballantyne-project-land-brewery-as-anchor.html

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.substack.com%2Fimage%2Ffetch%2Fw_2912%2Cc_limit%2Cf_auto%2Cq_auto%3Agood%2Cfl_progressive%3Asteep%2Fhttps%253A%252F%252Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%252Fpublic%252Fimages%252F13e051be-4257-42ee-9eda-c397e48b29d4_2160x1302.jpeg&t=1647390581&ymreqid=d07d9ac7-b224-7051-1c3b-d20067019400&sig=aOsAVWKuomIcIABHp8xeNA--~D

Based on images I've seen and the placement of the residential next to the brewery, am I correct to deduce that Towerview will be the tallest residential in the neighborhood? Or will there be more residential buildings equal to or taller than Towerview?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is an astonishingly small outdoor area for the OMB. With what we have just endured the past two years, as well as the template from original OMB, one would think more outside area would be a must. Not as much land as Yancey, but five picnic tables?

It says 1 acre outdoor area and mentions a playground! Maybe it isnt pictured but that should be a pretty decent size beirgarten. 

• Like 2