Ballantyne

underoak

35 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

It says 1 acre outdoor area and mentions a playground! Maybe it isnt pictured but that should be a pretty decent size beirgarten. 

I measured their biergarten at Yancy and its about 1.2ac.   If they actually get 1ac of space in Ballantyne plus the outdoor dining "patio"...that should be plenty!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I suspect this will ultimately have a similar retail tenant mix and quality to Birkdale. I was surprised Waverly or Rea Farms didn't go all in on that type of retail since there's a gap for it down south, especially given how strong the demographics are. 

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 2

I went out to Ballantyne's backyard for the first time and I have to say, its pretty great.  We are even going to have my daughters birthday out there in a few weeks vs one of the other parks in town.  The curves and elevation changes make it very interesting visually. Currently a lot of infrastructure going on (building the two roads that will connect to "The Bowl" so right now that cuts the park off right down the middle.

One big fail however is not having more bathrooms accessible.   As it currently sits, there is one bathroom at the north end.  None near the middle area near the ponds (which is the most level/prettiest areas).  That makes it about 10-15min uphill walk to get to a bathroom.   I am sure they get porta potties for events but why not have some permanently out there?  Do you want people to use the park or not? 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I went out to Ballantyne's backyard for the first time and I have to say, its pretty great.  We are even going to have my daughters birthday out there in a few weeks vs one of the other parks in town.  The curves and elevation changes make it very interesting visually. Currently a lot of infrastructure going on (building the two roads that will connect to "The Bowl" so right now that cuts the park off right down the middle.

One big fail however is not having more bathrooms accessible.   As it currently sits, there is one bathroom at the north end.  None near the middle area near the ponds (which is the most level/prettiest areas).  That makes it about 10-15min uphill walk to get to a bathroom.   I am sure they get porta potties for events but why not have some permanently out there?  Do you want people to use the park or not? 

Obviously this is just a temporary park probably for the next 5 years so there was no need to spend money on something that will be knocked down soon.  However maybe a few porta potties on the south side.  I just plan accordingly as many greenways in Charlotte have no bathrooms for miles if then.   I think it is great how they are letting the public even use this space albeit temporarily. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Obviously this is just a temporary park probably for the next 5 years so there was no need to spend money on something that will be knocked down soon.  However maybe a few porta potties on the south side.  I just plan accordingly as many greenways in Charlotte have no bathrooms for miles if then.   I think it is great how they are letting the public even use this space albeit temporarily. 

Yeah I am not saying saying build bathrooms .  I am saying bring in 2 permanent porta potties near the main entrance and main area people would congregate.  They have yoga, events, picnic tables set up all in the southside of the park and no where to pee.   They are spending hundreds of millions (maybe a billion?) on reimagining Ballantyne...spend a couple hundred bucks a month for two porta potties. :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Yeah I am not saying saying build bathrooms .  I am saying bring in 2 permanent porta potties near the main entrance and main area people would congregate.  They have yoga, events, picnic tables set up all in the southside of the park and no where to pee.   They are spending hundreds of millions (maybe a billion?) on reimagining Ballantyne...spend a couple hundred bucks a month for two porta potties. :-)

Just wait until you see the inconvenience of where Northwoods have tried to put the bus stops for existing routes in the Ballantyne area. 

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I think if Ballantyne is "re-imagined" like they are planning, including starting the light rail extension, this area will really explode with height.  Unfortunately, infrastructure is not there to really support it.  Two days ago I had to go down 521 to southern spirits (cocktail emergency) and my god traffic was awful.  They are building so much out 521 with no other ways to get there besides 521/Johnston Rd. 

Not really a "Ballantyne caused the problem" but a problem none the less.  During rush hour traffic backs up to 485 and beyond and its already 3/4 lanes each way. 

Best case is the majority of people that live in the new town center, work in the town center.  But adding thousands of new apartments and office space isn't going to help and honestly not much we can do besides build a wall at the border.

Color me skeptical as well. Having apartments and retail around so you can live, work, and play all in the area is obviously a drastic improvement over the golf course. The infrastructure is just so overwhelmed in that area and the light rail extension is at least a decade away.

• Like 4

And so is the curse of sprawl. That is why I am against the river district happening and any more undeveloped land being heavily developed. Sadly, people don’t want to and the economics (without proper measures) would surely out-price lower incomes with land values and then rent prices. Density is a double edge sword.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
FYI All - Towerview, the New Office Building and the Panorama Tower all have some aesthetic lighting at night.  Looks like we could have an Uptown Lighting type of effect in Ballantyne soon

We may not have large mountains in our backdrop, a canal, a river, or coastline bordering our city, but we do have our pretty buildings with pretty lights. Lol
  • Like 3

I have often thought the same thing.  Miami's skyline in daytime is stunning but at night because of so many condo towers it is not lit up like Charlotte.   Our uptown skyline and now even Ballantyne has great lighting.  We have truly one of the best night time skylines in the southeast. 

Frankly lol I hate the Miami skyline… Specifically because there seems to be a monolithic look of concrete/bit monotone and not lit up night… probably one of the most boring/depressing aside from the obvious interesting ones. Also if anyone thought Atlantas skyline was long should take a hard look at Miami…

44d0acf22c8b848b0578098466aa26b2.jpg
717f3435ed6406c1dccaa2f9c98301a7.jpg
d3d9b2bf6340f536f40961575a9ab145.jpg
5cf38d3ad8d24d23126d7b7cd769eeda.jpg
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not in Ballantyne but north of the area...new residential development is planned for the Carmel Road area.

Jefferson Apartment Group buys 4.5 acres in south Charlotte

Jefferson Apartment Group has purchased 4.5 acrea of land at 6300 Carmel Road where it plans to build a 305-unit apartment complex.

JEFFERSON APARTMENT GROUP

Washington, D.C.-based Jefferson Apartment Group is planning its second Charlotte development.

The development group, in partnership with Florida-based Osprey Capital, purchased 6300 Carmel Road on June 10 for $7.35 million, according to Mecklenburg County real estate records.

The 4.5-acre property will become a five-story, 350-unit multifamily complex with studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments and a structured parking garage with 457 spaces. The planned development will total 296,000 square feet with 3,000 square feet of ground-floor retail. The project cost was not available.

The complex will have outdoor amenities that include a courtyard with swimming pool, outdoor kitchen, fire pit and gaming area. Indoor amenities include a fitness center, resident lounge and clubroom, and bicycle storage with a tune-up room.

JAG announced its first Charlotte project late last month for a 5-acre property at 200 Wadsworth Place in Optimist Park that it purchased for $7.95 million. It plans to build a 350-unit multifamily complex with construction beginning later this summer.

Jim Butz, JAG president and CEO, said in a news release on June 21 the company has been focused on establishing a solid pipeline in the region.

“6300 Carmel Road is the second of what we know will be many new projects for us in the Queen City, and we’re pleased to be partnering with Osprey Capital on this new luxury multifamily development," he said.

• Like 3

Urban sprawl! How do we concentrate development along transit routes? 400+ new car households in an area that doesn't even have a bus route is why we keep needing to expand roads. We are adding so many people to areas of the metro with no plans for transit, and setting ourselves up to be a Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, et. with just enough density to have grid lock, but also be largely car dependent.

CATS seems to have no plans to bring reliable and frequent bus service to all these suburban complexes either. Areas like Carmel Road are never gonna get light rail. The one good thing is we DO need more housing in this city... 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4