Ballantyne

underoak

I heard on NPR this morning that the four sculptures in Ballantyne at Johnston Rd and Ballantyne Commons Parkway will need to be relocated due to the future widening of Johnston Rd. I think it is to be determined what to do with them.

Edit: maybe I imagined hearing this? I'm not finding anything online to confirm this.

Edited by norm21499
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

I heard on NPR this morning that the four sculptures in Ballantyne at Johnston Rd and Ballantyne Commons Parkway will need to be relocated due to the future widening of Johnston Rd. I think it is to be determined what to do with them.

Edit: maybe I imagined hearing this? I'm not finding anything online to confirm this.

Oh man I hope not - those Sculptures are pretty Cool and help to give a sense of Place/Arrival…

• Like 2

It was a story by the Ledger. Though I’d argue Johnston street is already wide enough…
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

But that is changing with the Ballantyne Reimagined next to the Ballantyne Resort hotel.  More walkable, apartments over retail, more pedestrian connections.  

https://reimagined.projectballantyne.com/

Ballantyne is doomed unless they get a light rail.  Johnston road and Rea are nightmares.  Johnston seems to be going in the direction of what independence blvd went 10-15 years ago.  Mark my word.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 4

Ballantyne is doomed unless they get a light rail.  Johnston road and Rea are nightmares.  Johnston seems to be going in the direction of what independence blvd went 10-15 years ago.  Mark my word.  

Don’t know about Rea, but yeah. That road should not get expanded. It’s already wide.

7 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Don’t know about Rea, but yeah. That road should not get expanded. It’s already wide.

It’s not about whether or not it should get expanded. It will be congested regardless.  They continue building developments in that area and even further south into Indian land and Lancaster.  So unless there is a light rail, it will be getting super congested 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ballantyne's tallest building the new Panorama Tower gets about 20,000 sq ft in leases first such announced.

""Three new office tenants are moving into Panorama Tower, a 17-story mixed-use building in Ballantyne.  

Charlotte-based Panorama Holdings, developer of the project, is moving into a 3,500-square-foot space there; Birmingham, Alabama-based ServisFirst Bank will lease 5,500 square feet of space; and international reinsurer PartnerRe is relocating its local office to an 11,130-square-foot space in the tower.

Panorama Tower is a 115,000-square-foot mixed-use development that delivered late last year at 14819 Ballantyne Village Way. AC Hotels by Marriott, a 186-room hotel that occupies the first seven floors of the tower, opened in January. ""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/05/ballantyne-panorama-tower-new-office-tenants.html

Office leasing nationwide has slowed in the 3rd quarter and it seemed to here in Charlotte too. 

• Like 4

That shot shows that building at its absolute best angle - one which you hardly get to see in reality.  Oddly, the end that actually faces the center of Ballantyne is completely unadorned, windowless, and slathered in grey EIFS, and the top of it… good god where do you start?   Or stop?   It’s an absolute unfinished-looking mess.  Who looked at the drawings for this and said “Yup, marquis design for the center of Ballantyne right there!”  My parents live in Ballantyne and I have to look at this steaming pile frequently (though not nearly as frequently as my mom would like).  It’s heinous and I have to avert my eyes every time I go down there.  It’s Ballantyne’s TRUIST.  Ugh.  Have I made my feelings clear?
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_10/1CBD16FB-99AC-402E-8F97-11466CC5AB75.thumb.jpeg.b7ba53813f2bf05c724e6b01595fe567.jpeg

I do love the panorama tower from the best angles but that part of it definitely throws me off too. It reminds me of 22 Cortlandt St in lower Manhattan:

https://www.skyscrapercenter.com/building/22-cortlandt-street/9981
  • Like 1

That shot shows that building at its absolute best angle - one which you hardly get to see in reality.  Oddly, the end that actually faces the center of Ballantyne is completely unadorned, windowless, and slathered in grey EIFS, and the top of it… good god where do you start?   Or stop?   It’s an absolute unfinished-looking mess.  Who looked at the drawings for this and said “Yup, marquis design for the center of Ballantyne right there!”  My parents live in Ballantyne and I have to look at this steaming pile frequently (though not nearly as frequently as my mom would like).  It’s heinous and I have to avert my eyes every time I go down there.  It’s Ballantyne’s TRUIST.  Ugh.  Have I made my feelings clear?
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_10/1CBD16FB-99AC-402E-8F97-11466CC5AB75.thumb.jpeg.b7ba53813f2bf05c724e6b01595fe567.jpeg

Needs a Mugsy, Dell, Larry and Zo mural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On 10/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, KJHburg said:

Ballantyne's tallest building the new Panorama Tower gets about 20,000 sq ft in leases first such announced.

""Three new office tenants are moving into Panorama Tower, a 17-story mixed-use building in Ballantyne.  

Charlotte-based Panorama Holdings, developer of the project, is moving into a 3,500-square-foot space there; Birmingham, Alabama-based ServisFirst Bank will lease 5,500 square feet of space; and international reinsurer PartnerRe is relocating its local office to an 11,130-square-foot space in the tower.

Panorama Tower is a 115,000-square-foot mixed-use development that delivered late last year at 14819 Ballantyne Village Way. AC Hotels by Marriott, a 186-room hotel that occupies the first seven floors of the tower, opened in January. ""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/10/05/ballantyne-panorama-tower-new-office-tenants.html

Office leasing nationwide has slowed in the 3rd quarter and it seemed to here in Charlotte too. 

I can't think of a worse name for a high-rise.. I cringe every time I read the name... 

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:10 PM, Temeteron said:

It’s not about whether or not it should get expanded. It will be congested regardless.  They continue building developments in that area and even further south into Indian land and Lancaster.  So unless there is a light rail, it will be getting super congested 

I’d be surprised if NCDOT doesn’t turn Johnston Rd into a Super-Street, sort of like they did to US-74 through Indian Trail.  It’d then be able to handle the traffic load.  Light-Rail to Ballantyne will happen if there’s any Funding Future for the SilverLine & associated Transit Projects.  It would terminate at/near Community House Rd and not travel down the Johnston Rd Corridor.  I think a major Park & Ride Station (LightRail) in Ballantyne would be well used though just like the one on S. Blvd is now.

• Like 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Is all of this being built on the golf course?  Also, I was never clear if that golf course is part of the Ballantine CC even though it’s east of Johnston Road. 

It is being built on the old Ballantyne Golf club which is the public course.  the Ballantyne Country Club is further south of this and is not affected.  It was the golf course that went around the office buildings. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

It is being built on the old Ballantyne Golf club which is the public course.  the Ballantyne Country Club is further south of this and is not affected.  It was the golf course that went around the office buildings. 

Thanks.  I was never sure if they were two separate courses or if some of the holes of the BCC were east of Johnston Rd.  That clears it up.

I’ll be in Clt in a few weeks.  Is there much progress here to warrant a drive from Uptown?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thanks.  I was never sure if they were two separate courses or if some of the holes of the BCC were east of Johnston Rd.  That clears it up.

I’ll be in Clt in a few weeks.  Is there much progress here to warrant a drive from Uptown?

yes it is quite the edge city now with the new towers. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...