Cookeville News

timmay143

9 hours ago, Griz83 said:

When I lived in Cookeville for 6 years, I always used to say that the town slogan should be "It's all good in Algood!"

Glad to see that this "essentially-a-Cookeville-neighborhood" is catching on.

As an aside, Dogwood park is quite nice, too.

Dogwood Park is wonderful!  I have a niece who just moved to Cookeville from Texas with her husband and got an apartment downtown.  Just in the few weeks they've been here we've walked to Dogwood Park to see the symphony, a couple of Shakespeare plays, some blues bands, a craft beer festival, and a couple of other concerts.  It's a lot nicer having Dogwood Park in the middle of downtown than that old shopping center it replaced.

20180921-114107-php9hyUUw.jpg

wcte-777x437.jpg

RedSilo_Blues%26Brews_CookevilleTN2015crowd_1_0.jpg

20170429063934-4c23-T4-26-17_playground.jpg

img_0997.jpg

Document?documentID=2055

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Dogwood Park is wonderful!  I have a niece who just moved to Cookeville from Texas with her husband and got an apartment downtown.  Just in the few weeks they've been here we've walked to Dogwood Park to see the symphony, a couple of Shakespeare plays, some blues bands, a craft beer festival, and a couple of other concerts.  It's a lot nicer having Dogwood Park in the middle of downtown than that old shopping center it replaced.

Ah yes, the old Cotton Eyed Joe...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Putnam County Commission this past week voted to purchase 187 acres for a new fairgrounds/expo center off the new Tennessee Avenue that the city of Cookeville built that links the new Exit 283 on I-40 to Hwy 70 just west of town.  This will replace the current fairgrounds which sit on 35 acres in the middle of town.  To compare, the Tennessee State Fairgrounds in Nashville is 117 acres, and the James E. Ward Ag Center in Lebanon is 267 acres.

73342890_1485133048315599_4265334362414776320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQlg3qzfwslrQkgBVZHPR3dyiBmNLO5Q9Yrg_phT5DuLUCrKI176nOKUSHYQQnYIwqk&_nc_ht=scontent.fbna2-1.fna&oh=0c76089c33b6f4e68792488d0f424af0&oe=5E20D190

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/commission-approves-purchase-of-new-fairgrounds-property,37996?

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The Putnam County Commission this past week voted to purchase 187 acres for a new fairgrounds/expo center off the new Tennessee Avenue that the city of Cookeville built that links the new Exit 283 on I-40 to Hwy 70 just west of town.  This will replace the current fairgrounds which sit on 35 acres in the middle of town.  To compare, the Tennessee State Fairgrounds in Nashville is 117 acres, and the James E. Ward Ag Center in Lebanon is 267 acres.

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/commission-approves-purchase-of-new-fairgrounds-property,37996?

Hoping the discussed Expo Center will be as nice as the one at the aforementioned James E. Ward Ag Center in Lebanon.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

Hoping the discussed Expo Center will be as nice as the one at the aforementioned James E. Ward Ag Center in Lebanon.  

Agreed.  I wonder how much of those 267 acres is made up of Fiddler's Grove.  I've been to a few events at the ag center in Lebanon and am always impressed by it.  Except in the winter.  Hopefully, Putnam County's expo center will be heated.  There's definitely a need for an expo center in Cookeville, as TTU's Hyder-Burks ag pavilion and the Leslie Town Centre are pretty much booked solid year round.   Speaking of which, I hope the lawsuit between Auxin and the downtown conference center developer gets settled soon so that can get started, too.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, jmtunafish said:

There are a couple of new housing developments in Cookeville that I really like.   Both are supposed to be like "new urbanism" neighborhoods, (throwback to "traditional" neighborhoods) designed to encourage residents to know their neighbors:  front porches, back porches, sidewalks, parking in the streets and on parking pads (no garages), etc.  This first one is being built just a few hundred feet from the courthouse and overlooks the 1930's-era Belle Acres Golf Course which means residents can walk to downtown, to downtown parks, and of course to the adjacent golf course.

image.thumb.png.fc828f3ab1f8183153b2b7acbe641feb.png

image.thumb.png.ab7f78ece6f9b4f82bf3c72dc7c86a5c.png

This next one is being built where an old trailer park used to be.  I think when it's all said and done there will be 52 houses where there used to be 28 run-down mobile homes on 11 acres.  The homes are designed by Nashville-based Lynn Taylor of Taylor Made Designs.

image.thumb.png.e42988c2e44d67009fe54ca5967895dd.png

image.thumb.png.2d8fbc30d7468f2d1648701a62cf2b58.png

image.thumb.png.888f2b6bd517c6691d62f87f074cee00.png

Hey, it's East Nasvhille's Lynn Taylor!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Elsewhere in town, the new full-service Holiday Inn is looming large over South Willow Ave.  I think they're shooting for a spring 2020 opening.

image.thumb.png.691fd2b4ae3adb5cabd2dad6e4766b90.png

When complete, it will sport a rooftop bar....the first in town.  I know of another planned project which will incorporate a rooftop bar as well, but it's still privileged information at this point.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tragenvol said:

When complete, it will sport a rooftop bar....the first in town.  I know of another planned project which will incorporate a rooftop bar as well, but it's still privileged information at this point.

Oh, do tell!  Can you at least say if it's going to be downtown?  Is it a new development or a rehab of an existing building?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Oh, do tell!  Can you at least say if it's going to be downtown?  Is it a new development or a rehab of an existing building?

I can't really...but I will say new construction not downtown...not the West Side...would only be two stories.

16 hours ago, e-dub said:

Full service Holiday Inn, as in a Holiday Inn with room service?

Yes; the full-service Holiday Inn of years past changed hands and brands leaving Cookeville without full-service lodging until this HI opens.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tragenvol said:

I can't really...but I will say new construction not downtown...not the West Side...would only be two stories.

I wish someone would put something like that downtown.  Maybe when the new hotel/conference center is finally built (if ever) it'll have a rooftop bar.  Really, the West Side would be ideal.  Anyway, I'm really eager to find out more about this place you brought up.  What's the timeline?

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I wish someone would put something like that downtown.  Maybe when the new hotel/conference center is finally built (if ever) it'll have a rooftop bar.  Really, the West Side would be ideal.  Anyway, I'm really eager to find out more about this place you brought up.  What's the timeline?

I thought the property was due to close soon.  I will share more once that happens.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wonder why the Governor likes TECH so much? He went to Auburn so it’s not like he’s tied to Cookeville. Don’t get me wrong, the investment in TECH makes me happy. When I was in school no new buildings were built because MTSU and UTK were getting all the money. 

It isn't a product of the Governor's preference....but more THEC's priority with the Governor's seal of approval in the budget.  Capital outlay projects are now competitively scored by THEC then prioritized.  The two other large construction projects are unrelated to this Governor's administration.  The fitness center is funded by student and local fees; whereas, the new sciences building was approved by the Haslam administration.

• 4 weeks later...

So sorry for Cookeville... for your loss. Even though your losses in this disaster may be overshadowed somewhat by Nashville's losses... trust that Tennessee will not forget Cookeville. I love your town. Also, we know a family who is searching for their loved ones in Putnam Co.  If you hear of a family named Cutler, please send me a DM. We're all still trying to get word from someone there who knows. 

• Like 2