Cookeville News

timmay143

5 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The count is still at 18 confirmed dead:  13 adults and 5 children.  The list of missing has been pared down to 18.  I haven't seen the name Cutler on any list, so I hope that means your friends are ok.

Thanks, JMT. We received the sad news today. I only had the daughter's name as that's my wife's connection to her family. They're the Cutler/Kimberlin family, Josh, Erin & 2-year-old Sawyer are presumed dead. 

• Sad 9

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks, JMT. We received the sad news today. I only had the daughter's name as that's my wife's connection to her family. They're the Cutler/Kimberlin family, Josh, Erin & 2-year-old Sawyer are presumed dead. 

I am so, so sorry.  I have seen their family picture all over Facebook as being missing.  It was absolutely heartbreaking to find out they didn't make it.  It's times like this when words can't come close to expressing grief.  I am genuinely sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

It didn't take long for some in the Nashville media cocoon to show their true colors.  There's a bit of a tempest in a teapot over at 107.5 The River as they discussed why more people were killed by the tornado in Cookeville than in Nashville/Mt Juliet.  It's because, they say, people in Cookevile are less educated and live in trailers or prefabricated homes.  Never mind that this tornado in Cookeville was an F-4 with winds of 175+ mph that swooped down in the middle of the night with almost no warning; cell phone towers west of town had already been knocked down, so many cell phones didn't get the warning in time.  And never mind that the neighborhoods were largely newer build homes, many over 3,000 square feet, all site-built, gentleman farm types.  In fact, I don't know of any mobile homes that were leveled.  107.5 tried to apologize, but of course the apology almost made things worse ("We're sorry you took our comments badly" instead of "We're sorry for being wrong and insensitive.")  

https://1075theriver.iheart.com/content/2020-03-05-tornado-audio-rev/?fbclid=IwAR2u_rYGTS2Jhbtt3lh8IbMsZXMS2NSXsUjzEpMQ_Zmn-0ldFlPi6pR_zCw

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Another case of someone  with a pulpit espousing unverified information...happens everyday....no matter how reckless.  I understand that the show's talent were reporting someone's (not an expert) presumption and apparently chose not to fact check the slightest of information.  Caused a bit of a stir.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

It didn't take long for some in the Nashville media cocoon to show their true colors.  There's a bit of a tempest in a teapot over at 107.5 The River as they discussed why more people were killed by the tornado in Cookeville than in Nashville/Mt Juliet.  It's because, they say, people in Cookevile are less educated and live in trailers or prefabricated homes.  Never mind that this tornado in Cookeville was an F-4 with winds of 175+ mph that swooped down in the middle of the night with almost no warning; cell phone towers west of town had already been knocked down, so many cell phones didn't get the warning in time.  And never mind that the neighborhoods were largely newer build homes, many over 3,000 square feet, all site-built, gentleman farm types.  In fact, I don't know of any mobile homes that were leveled.  107.5 tried to apologize, but of course the apology almost made things worse ("We're sorry you took our comments badly" instead of "We're sorry for being wrong and insensitive.")  

https://1075theriver.iheart.com/content/2020-03-05-tornado-audio-rev/?fbclid=IwAR2u_rYGTS2Jhbtt3lh8IbMsZXMS2NSXsUjzEpMQ_Zmn-0ldFlPi6pR_zCw

Sounds like the folks at 107.5 are the ones uneducated. You're exactly right about it being a stronger tornado... what an idiotic topic to discuss, not to mention completely insensitive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Sounds like the folks at 107.5 are the ones uneducated. You're exactly right about it being a stronger tornado... what an idiotic topic to discuss, not to mention completely insensitive. 

Yuck. It's probably the kind of music they play on 107.5 that made those DJs insensitive and ignorant.

If all you broadcast is mass-produced tripe void of any musical talent, it's gonna dumb you down. Sh1t like Taylor Swift, the Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber is for middle schoolers

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, jmtunafish said:

Members of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission voted today to approve capital projects recommendations for the upcoming fiscal year, and Tennessee Tech’s new $55 million engineering building topped the list.

According to data from the U.S. Department of Education, each year Tech awards nearly a quarter of all the engineering and computer science degrees from Tennessee’s nine public universities.

The proposed 100,000-square-foot engineering building is a student-centered, interdisciplinary space used by all departments in the College of Engineering, which comprises more than 25% of Tech’s students.

Over that last 10 years, enrollment in the College of Engineering has grown 52%, which has resulted in a space shortage that this building will help alleviate and give room to meet projected growth.

Read more here:
https://www.tntech.edu/news/releases/19-20/new-engineering-building-top-priority-thec-capital-projects.php?fbclid=IwAR2i5sAcwF7ooxSF3bkcMD0L4UGBNQBBcQ-acj_prMOPgmO3KSGYtNfVuNE

engineering-bldg.jpg

The Governor's amended budget has removed all Capital Outlay for FY 20-21; therefore, this project will not go forward as initially planned.  The amended budget will have to receive approval from the Legislature, but it appears that this legislative session will be fast tracked for early dismissal due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tragenvol said:

The Governor's amended budget has removed all Capital Outlay for FY 20-21; therefore, this project will not go forward as initially planned.  The amended budget will have to receive approval from the Legislature, but it appears that this legislative session will be fast tracked for early dismissal due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Yeah, I guess this shouldn't be surprising.  State-wide teacher pay raises are also on hold this year as the governor hopes to funnel a lot of money towards the coronavirus battle.  I don't blame him.  Difficult times call for difficult choices.

On 3/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Very impressive growth... Cookeville is the 11th largest micropolitan area in the country that stands alone and isn't a part of a larger city's CSA.

Cookeville was well on its way to becoming a metropolitan area after this next census, but I'm afraid this coronavirus mess is probably going to put a stop to that.  College towns all over the country will be affected by this, as most colleges have gone to all on-line courses the rest of the semester, meaning most college students have gone home.  This means there are several thousand residents of Cookeville who would've been counted in this census who now won't be counted.  In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but since the next chance to become a metropolitan area (and get all the additional federal funds that accompany it) won't happen for another 10 years, this can be seen as quite a big deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, jmtunafish said:

Cookeville was well on its way to becoming a metropolitan area after this next census, but I'm afraid this coronavirus mess is probably going to put a stop to that.  College towns all over the country will be affected by this, as most colleges have gone to all on-line courses the rest of the semester, meaning most college students have gone home.  This means there are several thousand residents of Cookeville who would've been counted in this census who now won't be counted.  In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal, but since the next chance to become a metropolitan area (and get all the additional federal funds that accompany it) won't happen for another 10 years, this can be seen as quite a big deal.

@jmtunafish I know you mine a lot of data from the Census Bureau....questions follow:

Doesn't a city need to have 50,000 residents to be considered a metropolitan area?  Wasn't Cookeville's population estimated in 2018 at just over 34K? 

One TTU Residential Life article I recently read stated that approximately 75% of TECH students live off campus.  A lot of those commuting students have jobs and rent in the city; so, I would think that although they are now distance students rather than commuter students, that most must still maintain their residences and remain in town.

Dorm students:  would they be counted as Cookeville's citizens; historically, I thought would not?

I'm not sure the current emergency (there were tornado sirens again early this morning...my family and I went to our safe place at 2:30 am) will have a dramatic effect on Cookeville's census this year.  I would think that the micropolitan area currently near 110K would get to 125K well before Cookeville hits 50K.

46 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

@jmtunafish I know you mine a lot of data from the Census Bureau....questions follow:

Doesn't a city need to have 50,000 residents to be considered a metropolitan area?  Wasn't Cookeville's population estimated in 2018 at just over 34K? 

One TTU Residential Life article I recently read stated that approximately 75% of TECH students live off campus.  A lot of those commuting students have jobs and rent in the city; so, I would think that although they are now distance students rather than commuter students, that most must still maintain their residences and remain in town.

Dorm students:  would they be counted as Cookeville's citizens; historically, I thought would not?

I'm not sure the current emergency (there were tornado sirens again early this morning...my family and I went to our safe place at 2:30 am) will have a dramatic effect on Cookeville's census this year.  I would think that the micropolitan area currently near 110K would get to 125K well before Cookeville hits 50K.

A metropolitan area needs a core urban area of 50,000, not a city of 50,000.  Morristown, for example, in 2010 had a smaller city population than Cookeville (29,137 vs. 30,435) yet it's a metropolitan area while Cookeville is a micropolitan area because Morristown's urban population in 2010 was 59,036 while Cookeville's was 44,207.  A census tract is considered urban, I think, if it has 1000 per square mile inside a city and 500 per square mile outside a city.  String together contiguous census tracts to create an urban area.  In Cookeville's case, its urban area, as defined in 2010, includes Cookeville, Algood, part of Baxter, and areas in between.  It even extends into northern White County near the airport.  Since this map was created, there have been several thousand new housing units built, so Cookeville's urban area should pass the 50,000 threshold after this next census.  And I agree, the tornado damage will have a small effect, as even those whose homes were completely destroyed are likely still in the area.

image.png.5307d7a4be4219ced760056fd8c7fe79.png

And yes, dorm students are included.  I read this morning that the Census Bureau is helping college towns make sure that college students are counted, particularly with the coronavirus mess.  Colleges are responsible for reporting to the Census Bureau how many students live in group quarters (dorms), so that won't change, even though college dorms will be pretty much empty on April 1.  What has changed is that many college students have left their college towns and moved home since they can finish the semester online, and the Census Bureau is working with colleges to encourage those students to still count their college towns as their official addresses for the purpose of the census.  But as you pointed out, in many cases college students have chosen to live in their college town year-round where they have jobs/friends/social life.  I think this has increased in the last few years.  I know when I was in college 30 years ago, the thing to do was to go home every summer.  One summer I chose to stay and work, and everyone thought I was nuts.  I loved it because it was like I had the whole town to myself.  These days, it's much less unusual to do that.  I mean, in college towns like Cookeville and even Knoxville there's noticeably less traffic in the summer as many college students have gone home, but it's not like it used to be where college towns became ghost towns every summer.

At any rate, the point of all that is I'm much more optimistic that the coronavirus mess won't be as detrimental to college towns' populations as I thought a few days ago.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...