Cookeville News

timmay143

• 1 month later...

Wow! Cookeville is booming! Far cry from when I was a student at TTU....

We've had Raising Canes up here in Cincy for awhile.....the chicken is awesome along with their sauce!

Hope the Monell's-BobbyQ's combo works out well. BobbyQ's just opened up when I was leaving Cookeville....yeah, OK, that was really back in the day!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

The state legislature has just included over $100 million in TTU's budget for two large building programs:  another new engineering building, and a complete renovation of Johnson Hall (home of Tech's business school) which includes demolition of Foster Hall.  The new engineering building will be home to Tech's Advanced Construction and Manufacturing Engineering program which is currently scattered among three aging buildings:  Lewis Hall, Tech Foundry, and the East (football) Stadium. 

In the picture below which I snagged with permission from another poster at city-data, the building circled in red is the Ashraf Islam Engineering Building which is under construction.  In blue will the newest engineering building.  In yellow is Johnson Hall which will be gutted and rebuilt on the inside.  In light green are where the current Lewis Hall and Tech Foundry buildings stand, and in dark green is where Foster Hall currently stands.  Those three buildings will be razed to make more green space.  In purple is what will eventually become a pedestrian plaza once those parking lots are removed.  Already, Tech has closed part of that street (Peachtree Ave) and has started tearing up the asphalt to replace it with decorative bricks and landscaping. 

The white box is where a parking garage will eventually be built but which does not currently have a timeline.

238165d1658442922-ttus-growth-brings-campus-changes-tech-construction.png

https://www.tntech.edu/news/releases/22-23/tennessee-2022-2023-budget-provides-100-million-for-two-major-building-projects-on-campus.php

Good news that Johnson Hall is being remodeled as it sincerely needs it. My biggest concern about all of these updates is that TTU continues to remove parking area without seemingly developing plans for how to address the worsening parking woes. I went to TTU from 2006-2010, and parking was awful then when they had much more availability. I can't imagine how bad it has gotten now.

• Like 1

Great to see Johnson Hall get an update. Even when I was there in the mid/late-90's it was close to busting at the seams.  Hopefully new space will help them add more programs. It kind of feels like TECH is finally thinking about growing up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TNMichigander said:

Good news that Johnson Hall is being remodeled as it sincerely needs it. My biggest concern about all of these updates is that TTU continues to remove parking area without seemingly developing plans for how to address the worsening parking woes. I went to TTU from 2006-2010, and parking was awful then when they had much more availability. I can't imagine how bad it has gotten now.

There are three parking garages included in the master plan...off the top of my head.  The first was slated to go to construction in FY23.....but something may have put that on hold.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tragenvol said:

There are three parking garages included in the master plan...off the top of my head.  The first was slated to go to construction in FY23.....but something may have put that on hold.

I heard or read somewhere that Tech's students have responded to surveys saying that they would rather see the university spend money on more green space and beautification efforts than parking garages, at least for now.  The university did open up a large new parking lot a few years ago on the western edge of campus behind Tech Village (the big purple lot in the picture below) which has free shuttle buses to the rest of campus, but it's rarely more than half full.  Tech students can also ride Cookeville's public bus system for free but I don't think many take advantage of it.

image.png.fe17d21c030b7599227e5896f69886de.png

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Just FYI there are many municipal transit agencies in Tennessee (especially in East Tennessee). Cookeville is far from the smallest city with one. You can see the full list here:

https://www.tn.gov/tdot/multimodal-transportation-resources/office-of-public-transportation/public-transit-services1.html

Correct.  However, the vast majority of those rural transportation systems are door-to-door and not fixed-route and require a reservation at least 24 hours in advance.  UCHRA started its fixed-route system in Cookeville and then expanded to include Crossville and McMinnville, both much smaller than Cookeville.  All of those state regional transportation agencies have door-to-door programs which I bet most people don't know exist.  It's available to everyone regardless of age or income.  In Putnam County it costs $1 each way "in zone" and $2.50 out of zone.  That service is free for "recovery" appointments (mental, medical treatments, even probation appointments).  That door-to-door program exists even in the big cities.  I wonder how many people in Nashville who stand for hours at bus stops know that they can get door-to-door service in Davidson County at $2 each way via MCHRA (with a reservation made 24 hours in advance, of course).

UCHRA has also partnered with Uber to offer on-demand rides via Uber but at discounted rates, and so far it's the only rural transportation agency in the state to do so.  Right now it's available only in Cookeville although I'm sure UCHRA would like to extend it to other areas when feasible.  While more expensive than the door-to-door service, the Uber service is on-demand, without the need to make a reservation 24 hours in advance.

image.png.5d9a62b8d8d9a56ebee9a529348e094e.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Douglas said:

@jmtunafish So what have  you heard about the rumored redevelopment of the current Putnam County fairgrounds? I’ve heard rumors of Target. etc. - Thanks! 

The developer who was going to buy the fairgrounds has backed out.  It's the same developer who is building the shopping center on 10th Street anchored by a fancy Food City, and the city made the developer pay part of the cost of improving 10th Street as part of the agreement to rezone the property so the shopping center could be built.  I wonder if it's soured the developer on pursuing the fairgrounds which would require a bajillion times more road improvements.  Anyway, it's back on the market, but the county mayor said there are three other developers interested in buying it.  He's going to update the county commission tonight.  To be honest, I don't think the fairgrounds are a good place for a large shopping center mainly because the roads around it just aren't designed for that kind of increased traffic. 

As for Target, I haven't said anything on here because I don't want to jinx it.  But I do know that a Target real estate acquisition executive has moved to Cookeville (paid $1 million for a house), and the old Norwalk site has been rezoned to allow "regional commercial" development which means any retail over 120,000 square feet.  A friend of mine on the city council told me that Target has signed a letter of intent good for six months to build a store at that location, but it's all very hush hush.  It's the SE corner of I-40 & Willow Ave/Burgess Falls Rd.  In my opinion, this is a much better location for a regional shopping center, largely because the city wouldn't have to make many road improvements to accommodate it, certainly not like what would need to be done around the fairgrounds.

image.png.6c2ae8def589c681a34abb665d18266c.png

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Correct.  However, the vast majority of those rural transportation systems are door-to-door and not fixed-route and require a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. 

Not trying to argue but I'm pretty sure all the ones listed under "Urbanized and Municipal Systems" except for CAC Transit in Knoxville have at least one fixed route. The rural systems (and a large chunk of the municipal systems' ridership) are paratransit though.

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Not trying to argue but I'm pretty sure all the ones listed under "Urbanized and Municipal Systems" except for CAC Transit in Knoxville have at least one fixed route. The rural systems (and a large chunk of the municipal systems' ridership) are paratransit though.

Yes.  As I said, the rural systems aren't fixed-route with very few exceptions such as Cookeville, Crossville, and McMinnville.  Sorry I wasn't very clear.  I know I can be a little wordy and not always make sense.  To me, rural means non-metropolitan.  I've looked at the other rural districts and can't find any fixed-route systems in any other non-metropolitan area in Tennessee other than the UCHRA systems in Cookeville, Crossville, and McMinnville.  There are fixed-route systems in Morristown and Oak Ridge, which are both smaller than Cookeville, but they're also part of metropolitan areas.  I don't know much about the other rural transportation districts in the state, but I am impressed with what UCHRA is doing.  I was particularly impressed when they unveiled their partnership with Uber in Cookeville.

EDIT:  I forgot that Sevier County is not part of the Knoxville metropolitan area anymore, so I guess the fixed-route systems there in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, by my definition, would be "rural" even though TDOT has them listed under the state's urbanized systems.

Edited by jmtunafish

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...