Cookeville News

timmay143

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Is there any update on the Auxin hotel/conference center?  From the looks of that Wilson plant, it would make a great adaptive reuse project. Does anyone have any info if that will be the case/ 

I keep waiting for some renderings, but so far all they've said is that it'll be a 120-room hotel with 20,000 square feet of meeting space, and that they'll have their plans in place sometime this spring.  My connection at the local paper said it's going to be a Hilton Garden Inn.  I don't know how much of the old Wilson plant they'll use.  Much of the old Wilson plant has already been repurposed:  a laser tag place, a Chinese grocery store, and I'm not sure what all else.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

You got that right!  I almost feel sorry for Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts.

You shouldn't feel sorry for DD, check their drivethru lines each morning.  Feel sorry for those of us waiting on DD coffee.  Again, Big O's tops Ralph's...although a minority opinion, others share this position. 

44 minutes ago, tragenvol said:

You shouldn't feel sorry for DD, check their drivethru lines each morning.  Feel sorry for those of us waiting on DD coffee.  Again, Big O's tops Ralph's...although a minority opinion, others share this position. 

I do like Big O's monster cinnamon rolls.

big-o-donuts-cookeville-5521672.jpg

Otherwise, there's no comparison for me, particularly their cake doughnuts.  And I don't know what they do to their chocolate icing (opium maybe?) but it's addictive.  A Ralph's butter twist dipped in their chocolate icing makes me weak in the knees.  But the one doughnut they have which makes me forego the need for female companionship is their red velvet with cream cheese icing.

thumb_600.jpg?1364078123

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Bristol are all smaller, though they also all have their own qualifications attached.

Ugh  That web site doesn't even have the Cookeville fixed-route system listed.  But yes, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are smaller than Cookeville but of course have millions of visitors per year.  And while technically Bristol TN is smaller, its bus network is apparently shared with Bristol VA.  And now that I see that web site you posted, Oak Ridge is also smaller than Cookeville but has its own transit system.  So I retract what I posted earlier:  Cookeville is not the smallest town in Tennessee to have its own fixed-route transit system.

http://www.uchra.com/cats/

Edited by jmtunafish

10 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

Ugh  That web site doesn't even have the Cookeville fixed-route system listed.  But yes, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are smaller than Cookeville but of course have millions of visitors per year.  And while technically Bristol TN is smaller, its bus network is apparently shared with Bristol VA.  And now that I see that web site you posted, Oak Ridge is also smaller than Cookeville but has its own transit system.  So I retract what I posted earlier:  Cookeville is not the smallest town in Tennessee to have its own fixed-route transit system.

Oak Ridge doesn't count; it's all paratransit. But you're right, taking away the uniqueness of the Sevier County corridor and systems shared with other states, Cookeville is the smallest and definitely punching above their weight when it comes to transit.

If I'm honest, I have a hard time thinking of Gatlinburg's and Pigeon Forge's systems as actual transit systems anyway. (It would help if Pigeon Forge didn't call theirs the Fun Time Trolley.) But I'm told there are days when just one or the other are carrying more passengers than any other system in the state, including Nashville MTA and MATA.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, timmay143 said:

I'd love to go back and teach in the mechanical engineering department one day.  A lot bang for your buck in Cookeville.  Especially these days.

I hear you! I am starting my PhD next year and I really need TECH to pick up my area of study. LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

And like you said, the natural beauty of the area is unbelievable.  The state is opening another state park just outside of Cookeville later this spring, Window Cliffs.

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/newest-state-park-slated-to-open-in-april,19266?

Window Cliffs images:

4869914818_47c715b9b3.jpg

Very cool that Window Cliffs is going to be a State Park!  I've been there on a geology field trip (that was my area of study).  Although, I think it was still private property when we went.  I KNOW we parked on private property!  Cummins Falls (also wasn't a State Park when I was there!), Burgess Falls and Waterloo are very close.  Edgar Evins, Rock Island, Fall Creek Falls, Standing Stone, and even Savage Gulf and Big South Fork are not that far away.  There are also a host of caves around the area.

As you said, the town itself has a ton of stuff packed into a relatively small area as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Griz83 said:

Very cool that Window Cliffs is going to be a State Park!  I've been there on a geology field trip (that was my area of study).  Although, I think it was still private property when we went.  I KNOW we parked on private property!  Cummins Falls (also wasn't a State Park when I was there!), Burgess Falls and Waterloo are very close.  Edgar Evins, Rock Island, Fall Creek Falls, Standing Stone, and even Savage Gulf and Big South Fork are not that far away.  There are also a host of caves around the area.

As you said, the town itself has a ton of stuff packed into a relatively small area as well.

Small world!  A good friend of mine teaches geology at Tech.  He probably knows more caves in the area than anyone.  He hosts some workshops during Cookeville's annual, four-day Nature Fest.  http://www.naturefestcookeville.com/

Anyway, I'm very excited about Window Cliffs becoming a state park.  The state's been working hard at getting the trails dug and the parking lot graded.  I think they're shooting for an April grand opening.

Another jewel in the area is Virgin Falls just outside of Sparta.  It's a 9-mile round-trip hike to the falls, but it's well worth it.  The trail takes you past several caves and smaller falls before getting to Virgin Falls, so named because it emerges from an underground stream, plunges 110 feet, and disappears again into another underground stream.  It is a site to behold.

Sadly, Waterloo Falls is still on private property, but I don't think that stops anyone from going.  It's popular with kayakers.  I hope the state purchases it in the near future, too.

There's also Fancher Falls which is accessible only by canoe/kayak from Center Hill Lake.  It's just around the corner from the Cookeville Boat Dock.

Waterloo Falls:

Cummins Falls:

Virgin Falls:

Fancher Falls:

And the grande dame of the Cookeville-area falls, Burgess Falls:

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 8:37 PM, jmtunafish said:

Tennessee Tech has released some images and more details of its larger construction projects coming up this year.

The new fitness center with construction starting sometime this spring.  It will be located on the northeast corner of Willow and 7th.

FC1.jpg

Had a meeting this morning (regarding another project) with a P.E. from the designer of this building; neat insight....cool building.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...