Cookeville News

timmay143

Cookeville, the new Asheville?  Natural beauty, state parks, foodie scene and THREE breweries!  (Four if you count the original to market Calfkiller just a handful of minutes down the road.  Only need a giant house now...wait...would the Martin estate count?

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

I’m glad to see Cookeville come into its own. It’s high on the list of places I want to move to (at some point). And, if you think no one in Nashville knows about it, you should see the faces of Memphians when it is mentioned. LOL 

Now if we could just get TECH out of the OVC and into something a bit more interesting, like the Southern Conference (the OVC has sucked since the TECH/Middle rivalry died). 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have been noticing a lot of this! It's amazing seeing all the developments around I-40. There is a lot going on around campus that is now causing spill over development around the downtown area. Cookeville is really becoming a nice town! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, memphian said:

Has the Hilton Garden Inn and conference center broke ground yet?

I think Target would work but I’d be happy to see Meijer set up shop. 

Not yet.  There's a big unveiling tomorrow of the newest architectural plans during the Taste of the Town event that's taking place on the construction site.  The site was fenced off last week with earth-moving machinery lined up ready to go.  I don't know when it's supposed to break ground, but it can't be too far off.

And I totally agree about Target.  From what the city economic development people tell us, Target has two criteria:  a minimum income level and a minimum population.  Cookeville meets the income level but not the population.  So in order to meet the population requirement, they have to extend the radius out from Cookeville, but when they do that, the income level drops.  But since Cookeville is the center of a 14-county trade area of over 350,000, it's ridiculous of Target to think they wouldn't be successful in Cookeville.  Just as there are people in Cookeville right now who drive all the way to Mt Juliet to shop at Target, a Target in Cookeville would easily attract shoppers from all over the region and not just those who happen to live within Cookeville's city limits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tennessee Legend Distillery today opened a whiskey distillery in downtown Cookeville.  Located on the corner of Washington and Spring across the street from the courthouse, this is Tennessee Legend Distillery's only location outside Sevierville.

42416860321_effe79e0c8_k.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, memphian said:

Is that where Maddox Hardware used to be?

Yes.  That was a fun hardware store to explore.  It was a sad day when it closed.  I hope this distillery still has the creeky wood floors that the hardware store had.

• 1 month later...

Turfway Entertainment is teaming up with a group of investors from Chattanooga, Cookeville, and Nashville to build a 45,000 square foot, $11 million entertainment complex in Cookeville.  Scheduled to break ground soon for a March 2019 opening, Infinite Entertainment will have a 20-lane bowling alley with full-service dining, bumper cars, a 2-story state-of-the-art laser tag, 3-story climbing structure, arcade with prize redemptions, sports bar, party rooms, and restaurant.  It'll be located at the corner of Walnut Avenue and Veterans Drive behind the new Shoppes at Eagle Point shopping center (Publix et al) and across the street from the fairgrounds.

image.thumb.png.d270ef5923181dc96d55a07686ef1fd6.png

From their Facebook page:

Lâimage contient peut-être : intérieur

Lâimage contient peut-être : 4 personnes, personnes souriantes, intérieur

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

It’s funny, there’s a condo market in Cookeville but it basically doesn’t exist in Memphis.  Lots of nice development, I need to get back up there at some point and take a look around. I’d guess that location and TECH are the main catalysts for development in Cookeville. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, memphian said:

It’s funny, there’s a condo market in Cookeville but it basically doesn’t exist in Memphis.  Lots of nice development, I need to get back up there at some point and take a look around. I’d guess that location and TECH are the main catalysts for development in Cookeville. 

It is interesting that condos have become so popular in Cookeville.  There have been several condo developments lately, all of the zero-lot-line type, and they sell out pretty quickly.  I think a lot of it is Cookeville's popularity as a retirement destination.  I know when my mother moved to Cookeville last year from Knoxville she bought a condo downtown within walking distance of most of her errands.  I think that's actually part of Cookeville's charm; you can live right in the middle of town, a very livable and walkable downtown that's surprisingly affordable, at least compared to Tennessee's other livable and walkable downtowns.  Within 3 blocks of my mom's condo are two farmers markets, a supermarket, the main library, the hospital, her doctors, her bank, her financial planner, several museums, the cable company, the performing arts center (indoors and outdoors), and 30+ eating establishments.   She's also a block from the bike/walking trail that goes from downtown Cookeville past TTU and out to downtown Algood 4 miles away.  Really, the only time she uses her car is to go to church, and that's just 1.5 miles from her condo, and with a heck of a lot less traffic than she had to deal with in Knoxville.  There aren't many towns in Tennessee that offer that kind of "urban" living at prices that most middle class people can afford.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

There aren't many town in Tennessee that offer that kind of "urban" living at prices that most middle class people can afford. 

The condo market really doesn't surprise me since Cookeville has, in the past 20 years, really embraced its university town status. It doesn't hurt that TECH is really close to downtown and the two districts along with the medical district are naturally merging. It will be fun to see how it all matures. It wonder if city leadership ever visits other university towns to gather ideas on smart growth (growth which will generate tourism dollars and further development)? I am in Cambridge, England this week and this city is amazing. You can't quite compare Cambridge to anything in the US but there are elements which can be borrowed. Closer to home Oxford, MS or Athens, GA would be good places from which to learn.

• Like 1